Galaxy Tab A 8.4 (2020) T-Mobile Version - Using Google Fi Data Only SIM

Search This thread

kcwind

Jun 11, 2020
I flashed Canadian Samsung tab A 8.4 Firmware (XAC)which is unlocked LTE version of this tablet. Not a single bloat and is faster than At&t firmware. I'm able to send/receive sms and mms, Hotspot but no call. So my t-mobile phone sim works in this unlocked At&t tablet with unlimited data.

XAA USA unlocked
XAC CANADA Unlocked.

mha1021, where did you find the firmware for this tablet? Can you please provide a link? Thank you.

Reactions: friedsonjm

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
I found the firmware at https://samfrew.com/model/SM-T307U/region/XAC/ but I would like to know how you did the upload to the tablet.
I flashed Canadian Samsung tab A 8.4 Firmware (XAC)which is unlocked LTE version of this tablet. Not a single bloat and is faster than At&t firmware. I'm able to send/receive sms and mms, Hotspot but no call. So my t-mobile phone sim works in this unlocked At&t tablet with unlimited data.

XAA USA unlocked
XAC CANADA Unlocked.

Reactions: Divyesh49

kcwind

Jun 11, 2020
On other tablets, I've downloaded the firmware and flashed it using Odin. I usually download the firmware from the sammobile.com website, but for some reason, it doesn't have the firmware for this tablet. I've seen the firmware on a couple of other sites, but don't know if those sites are trustworthy to download from or not.

XAA USA unlocked
XAC CANADA Unlocked.
How? I have t307U, Tried to find everywhere to remove T-mobile crap; Couldn't found single artical

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At&T Samsung Tab A 8.4 SM-T307U

I wanted to buy unlock version of this tablet from samsung but unfortunately they only sell carrier version.
    I have a T-Mobile free line that wasn't in use so thought i should buy this tablet use it in my car for music, GPS, OBDII etc. I didn't buy the T-mobile version because the free line that i have is for cellphone and If i would buy T-mobile version of this tablet, they would ask me to change the line to data only and wouldn't be unlimited anymore. So i went with AT&T version and was cheaper also, AT&T unlocked it for me in about 48hrs after request.
    It works fine with T-mobile and was hoping it would switch the firmware to T-mobile once i put the sim like it does with Samsung phone that it initializes the sim and reboots with that carrier software but the Tablet doesn't do that. I even flash T-Mobile Firmware, it flashes successfully but still AT&T stuff is on the tablet. I was able to uninstall/disable most of the At&t bloat but not all. So came to XDA to find root or custom firmware but unfortunately nothing yet.
    I've purchased the new Galaxy Tab A 8.4 2020 directly from Samsung. There are only carrier-locked versions, but as Google Fi user, I picked the T-Mobile version as likely the 'most compatible' with Fi, which uses T-Mobile/Sprint for most of its connectivity.

As I don't want to pay for another Fi account, I ordered (for free) a data-only SIM from Google - it works perfectly. Normally, I run off of wifi only, turning Airplane Mode on first, then turning on wifi. I've traveled with it outside the house once, and used the data SIM very nicely. As a Fi user, I can also make calls from it, over data, wifi or LTE.

Some notes on the tablet:

Good:
    1. It is fast enough for all my needs, and with a micro SD in addition to the SIM, set as additional storage, I have plenty of room for my needs. NOTE: I don't play games, so I can't comment on game performance.
    2. Face recognition works well as long as there is enough light - in dim light, you will have to use PIN/Password, as there is no fingerprint reader.
    3. I was able to source a case via Amazon, there are a number of choices.
    4. USB C

Not So Good:
    1. No fingerprint reader.
    2. No ambient light sensor, so you will be adjusting lighting manually. There are apps which use the camera for this, but then you will lose face recognition unlocking.
    3. Samsung's Usual Bloatware: I use virtually none of it, not even Touchwiz, as I prefer Nova.
    4. Although the case has magnets, they won't turn off the screen when the cover is closed, you will have to turn it off manually or wait for it to timeout.
    5. Running Android 9, and nothing available as to when, if ever, it will get an upgrade.
    6. Security patch is Feb 1, 2020 and no idea if/when it will get another.

Using the XDA app.. it identifies as an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 !

All in all, I judge this to be an 'OK' but not great effort from Samsung for $264. For a few more bucks, it could have been a lot better. If the Lenovo new M8 had not been out of stock, I might have bought it instead and saved $130.

You can find the T-Mobile version at: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/t...-8-4-2020-32gb-mocha-t-mobile-sm-t307uznatmb/

regards, John
    I actually use it for news, reading etc. I have not tried to make Fi calls over 3g/LTE - just tried to do so, did not work, but I will try it again. It has worked fine for data over LTE. You can now have both Fi and Google Voice numbers, maybe get a Google Voice number and try calling over 3G with that?

I'm not too worried about the ability to make/receive calls and my tablet states that my device is on LTE but I can be sure by the incredibly slow speeds I'm getting that it is locked to 3g. It takes minutes to load simple web pages. When you go to the Fi app does it state that your device is authenticated with the SIM associated to a tab A 8.4?

I just want LTE to use for Uber so I don't have my main phone pinned at maximum brightness all the time as this can cause burn in issues with the OLED display.

Edit: I was able to solve the issue with the help of tech support. The solution is to activate the SIM manually through the Fi website (fi.google.com/data) and restart the device with the SIM inserted (also the support rep had me delete the Fi app before restarting). Hope this helps anyone who finds this thread in the same way I did!
    Updated today, 108MB download, security patch level 1 July 2020. Kernel 4.4.177-18047720 Jul 8. Seems like a large patch for just security, but no other major changes observable. Still Android 9. Unable to find any public information on if/when upgrade to Android 10 will occur.
    I have one too. How did you remove all the bloatware? Is possible to root it?

XAA USA unlocked
    XAC CANADA Unlocked.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone