Galaxy Tab S 8.4 wifi lollipop upgrade is rubbish

Search This thread

schmintan

Mar 13, 2010
After a lot of issues i just ended up downgrading back to kitkat on my galaxyTab S8.4 wifi, from lollipop.
Issues i was experiencing were:
-totally unreliable battery meter & performance. - Could read 100%, and 10 mins later would read 5% and turn off.
-screen flicker - lines would flicker across the screen randomly, usually before the device crashed.
-Rebooting - the device would randomly reboot, but usually happened 3-4 times per hour, making the device useless.
-screen freeze - the touchscreen would stop working randomly, usually before it rebooted itself.

Ive just gone back to kitkat (voided my warranty in the process) and its still to be seen if downgrading resolves the battery issue, but already the screen flicker seems to be gone. Il update after a day or two use.

Very annoyed with Samsung for releasing an unusable update that rendered the tablet useless & the solution was to load a rom myself, voiding the warranty.

Reactions: Mosquitorojo

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Have experienced absolutely none of the issues you refer to on my SM-T805.
Runs just fine for me.
Downgrading to KITKAT doesn't void your warranty.

Reactions: codified
G

GuestK00222

I don't know if your tablet has Knox, you can see status if you go under status in about device, usually, and see if it is "official" or not.

Far as what you did, before you went and loaded a ROM, I would have done a factory reset. Quite often, settings/apps brought over from a previous version cause issue. I don't care if the upgrade tells you too or not, read through the forums and you'll see it littered with people stating how they noticed a massive improvement after their upgrade once they factory reset. Yes, it does suck, but these days Android makes it very easy to do.

Mosquitorojo

Apr 9, 2016
After a lot of issues i just ended up downgrading back to kitkat on my galaxyTab S8.4 wifi, from lollipop.
-totally unreliable battery meter & performance. - Could read 100%, and 10 mins later would read 5% and turn off.
-screen flicker - lines would flicker across the screen randomly, usually before the device crashed.
-Rebooting - the device would randomly reboot, but usually happened 3-4 times per hour, making the device useless.
-screen freeze - the touchscreen would stop working randomly, usually before it rebooted itself.

Ive just gone back to kitkat (voided my warranty in the process) and its still to be seen if downgrading resolves the battery issue, but already the screen flicker seems to be gone. Il update after a day or two use.

Very annoyed with Samsung for releasing an unusable update that rendered the tablet useless & the solution was to load a rom myself, voiding the warranty.

Hi, have you solved The issue downvrading? I have The same problems you described.

Akopps

Jan 19, 2015
Sounds like a case of broken hardware or one seriously misbehaving application. And in general, if nothing works, I'd recommend to do a full factory reset of the tablet after the lollipop upgrade (erasing all of your data and settings of course). The only issue that concerns me about lollipop is the increase in battery drain at idle. You need to hunt down for the apps that keep your tablet awake. But spend a full battery charge in minutes? No way. Impossible. Get the tablet replaced.

bigaloz

Dec 10, 2008
I've been having the same issues. When I did a clean install, the tablet worked fine. However, as I install various apps, the issue begins again. I haven't been able to identify a particular app.

Going to try Marshmallow and see if it's more stable

bigaloz

Dec 10, 2008
Well, I've upgraded to Marshmallow and whilst it took a few goes to get it up and running properly (problems with installing gapps) it's working fine (mostly) now.

I've only had it running for a day but it is much smoother and quicker than kitkat and lollipop. So far there hasn't been any random shutdowns. It's too early to say whether battery life is better.

The only problems I've had is the camera isn't working (haven't bothered to look for a fix yet) and auto rotation doesn't work all the time.

I'll keep you up to date on how things go but so far I'm very pleased with the upgrade. I might now upgrade my 10.5

Bluehacks

Jan 1, 2013
Mumbai

Hola, which procedure did you follow to downgrade OS to kitkat? I m right now on official Lollipop without root.
I had a notion that even if we downgrade to kitkat screen flicker will remain.
Awaiting your reply- thanks in advance :)

If your issues are caused by Lollipop wouldn't everyone one else with Lollipop experience the same issues? I have absolutely none of the problems you mentioned and I have had Lollipop installed since it was first made available for this tab. Seems to me you more then likely have a hardware problem. You said you were going to update in a day or two but you haven't so far. I'm curious if downgrading solved your issues.

Sent from my SM-T800 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

zalso

Feb 2, 2016

i have found a fix for the white lines. but you need root

Reactions: brio09

dumining

Apr 6, 2010
Perth
screen freeze + screen flickers bright flash bars

random reboot, screen freeze and crazy screen flickers with bright flash bars), which occurred when it had low battery
(may be not relevant but have also just given up on firefox for chrome!)
this seems to sum up my experience in the last week or so, I thought I was heading for some hardware failure but parallels what others are reporting....

SM-T705Y running 5.0.2 (LRX22G)
looks like update from 20th May which would be around when this started

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Runs just fine for me.
    Runs just fine for me.

I agree with ashyx , my tab s runs fine n dandy , sounds like you have a faulty unit schmintan

i have found a fix for the white lines. but you need root
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone