Galaxy Tab S7 - Root and phone calls

Search This thread

redflowerpower

Aug 1, 2020
Hi I am evaluating the purchase of a Galaxy Tab 7S but I absolutely need to be able to make / receive phone calls and messages. I read that it is only possible with root permissions but I didn't understand how. Once you have rooted what should I do? Do I have to install any specific app? Thanks a lot

By calls, do you mean voice calling or video calling?

For the former you'll need the Tab S7 5G and your carrier will have to allow it. Not all carriers enable tablets to make voice only calls. This applies to texting. Your carrier must allow it from a tablet; meaning your tablet uses its own number and is not paired to your phone's number. Otherwise, you'll have to use an app like Google Voice. I'm not sure rooting will bypass the carrier.

If you just want to do video calls, then the WiFi only version will work. No rooting needed. Of course you would need a WiFi connection for that to work.

redflowerpower

Aug 1, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply. I am referring to the use of the tablet at 100% instead of the telephone, therefore receiving and sending calls via the Sim Card with the traditional number. What you say I already knew and unfortunately at the moment the Galaxy Tab factory setting only allows you to call with the Sim only if paired with a Samsung smartphone. In reality, the limitation is not imposed by the telephone operator (except in the USA) but by the customization of Android and it is not clear why there is this trend in tablets. However, I have read that through root you can bypass this limitation but I did not understand how.

redflowerpower

Aug 1, 2020
I think I have reached the end of my research ... Unfortunately it is impossible because the modem is not GSM compatible and therefore not able to access the voice. Clearly this is a commercial speculative choice to push consumers to have 2 devices instead of just one ... The usual sadness!

Evidently, you can if you had the LTE version of the Tab S7 (which I didn't know existed) and are in Australia.

I can see your point about two devices. I'd rather use one number on two devices than two devices with two numbers.