• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Galaxy Watch 4 44mm looks terrible with 20mm straps

Search This thread
Hi, may I ask, are all the functions on the Matteo Dini watch face works flawlessly ? I tried 2 of their watch faces, found that the it cannot display info like heart rate despite granted the required permission.
well this is a general issue with watch4 as it doesnt show samsung health features on watchface and then their is google fit. its really like that as you said at the moment there are issues still

stormaker

Jun 18, 2010
well this is a general issue with watch4 as it doesnt show samsung health features on watchface and then their is google fit. its really like that as you said at the moment there are issues still
I'm afraid so, the compability issue. But your screenshot do have HR reading on the watch face, mine just show 0 constantly, and have tried a few different watch faces.

I'm afraid so, the compability issue. But your screenshot do have HR reading on the watch face, mine just show 0 constantly, and have tried a few different watch faces.
yes i remebered something Matteo Dini told me. i went to settings permissions and checked all watchfaces and many had missing permissions so i gave them all . check that on your watch directly in settings apps permissionsof all watchfaces if they are missing give them

davekaye

Nov 30, 2010
palo alto
I too thought the 20mm band looked too small. I use one of those flex metallic bands and although I liked the band, it was just too small for the watch. So, I bought a 24mm leather band from Amazon and cut off 2mm from each side where the watch attached with an X-acto blade and then used a standard 20mm spring bar to connect the band to the watch. It looks much better on my wrist now. Pictures attached.

Watch with band
galaxy4-w.jpg

Close up
galaxy4-wb.jpg

Tools I used to carefully measure 20m and x-acto knife I used to cut the leather
galaxy4-wc.jpg

On my wrist
galaxy4-wd.jpg

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Do you have one of these? I have had some bad experiences with AliExpress in the past. Silicon and leather for $6.00? I'm thinking this has zero chance of being real leather. I like the look of them though.

In case people need link instead of QR code:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003223647821.html
Ok, so, as I mentioned in my other thread, I just received this watchband - and not gonna lie, it looks surprisingly good! Like really good! Like you fliptwister, I was not expecting this level of quality for this price. Now, I should say that I have no way of telling if it's real leather (I'm guessing it's not) - but it feels great, and nice and soft, as does the silicone back. Note that the leather layer might already be starting to lift at the end that joins the watch - but then, I have seen this (on Reddit) on a brand-new Samsung hybrid leather strap, too. I figure if it does start to lift it can be glued and, regardless, still a bargain at that price.
In the pack.jpg
Front.jpg
End.jpg
Installed.jpg
Inst Back.jpg
On Face.jpg
On Side.jpg

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
Like everyone else, I have to agree that I was very disappointed with 20mm. 22mm was better. Going thinner was a mistake for the 46mm watch. And the fact that I can't use any of my old watch bands was even more annoying.

I detest silicone like what was included. All I use is real leather. My favorite is not available in 20mm. So I actually ripped the pins out of that silicone thing (difficult), and cut a 1mm notch in each side of my 22mm leather band, applied a bit of shoe polish on that part, then put the 20mm pins in it. They don't fit quite right, but the results are still OK. It is hard to find 20mm reddish brown leather bands with silver buckles for some reason.

Ordered a few other bands from Amazon. Oh, Samsung will be sending me the "hybrid leather" band that is backordered, some day... but it will probably go into a drawer, since I discovered from this forum those have silicone on the bottom side (how stupid). Whatever, it "came" with the watch, so it didn't cost me anything.

Reactions: jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Like everyone else, I have to agree that I was very disappointed with 20mm. 22mm was better. Going thinner was a mistake for the 46mm watch. And the fact that I can't use any of my old watch bands was even more annoying.

I detest silicone like what was included. All I use is real leather. My favorite is not available in 20mm. So I actually ripped the pins out of that silicone thing (difficult), and cut a 1mm notch in each side of my 22mm leather band, applied a bit of shoe polish on that part, then put the 20mm pins in it. They don't fit quite right, but the results are still OK. It is hard to find 20mm reddish brown leather bands with silver buckles for some reason.

Ordered a few other bands from Amazon. Oh, Samsung will be sending me the "hybrid leather" band that is backordered, some day... but it will probably go into a drawer, since I discovered from this forum those have silicone on the bottom side (how stupid). Whatever, it "came" with the watch, so it didn't cost me anything.
With my Gear S3 I discovered I like leather for dress uses (e.g., work) and silicone for sport as, while I prefer the look of leather (and the Gear S3 alligator pattern leather bands were gorgeous) the silicone is more comfortable, and resistant to the sweat and abuse of sport.

Samsung's hybrid leather (and the AliExpress version above) seems to offer the best of both worlds, except they look no where near as good as the full leather bands they offered previously (but cost just as much, of course).

While I am enjoying the GW4, I have to shake my head a bit at those that say it's 'premium' and 'high quality' - to me, coming from the S3, everything about it (or at least, its accessories) - from the box to the bands to the charger - scream cost-saving.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
With my Gear S3 I discovered I like leather for dress uses (e.g., work) and silicone for sport as, while I prefer the look of leather (and the Gear S3 alligator pattern leather bands were gorgeous) the silicone is more comfortable, and resistant to the sweat and abuse of sport.

Samsung's hybrid leather (and the AliExpress version above) seems to offer the best of both worlds, except they look no where near as good as the full leather bands they offered previously (but cost just as much, of course).

While I am enjoying the GW4, I have to shake my head a bit at those that say it's 'premium' and 'high quality' - to me, coming from the S3, everything about it (or at least, its accessories) - from the box to the bands to the charger - scream cost-saving.
I understand that some people would want the silicone on the bottom of the leather. You are right that it has some advantages. Others will hate it (like me). I find it inexcusable that Samsung doesn't properly describe the band on their store, however.

As for premium or not. I also agree that the "finish" of the (silver) GW4 classic is inferior to the S3 Classic (silver). Not just because of the smaller band, but I think the case, dial, and lugs on the 3C are nicer. I much prefer the shinier smooth surface of the S3 instead of the "brushed" finish of the GW4 Classic. Not that the box it came in matters that much, but I, too, was surprised at how stupid and annoying the packaging was for the 4C.

Reactions: jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I understand that some people would want the silicone on the bottom of the leather. You are right that it has some advantages. Others will hate it (like me). I find it inexcusable that Samsung doesn't properly describe the band on their store, however.

As for premium or not. I also agree that the "finish" of the (silver) GW4 classic is inferior to the S3 Classic (silver). Not just because of the smaller band, but I think the case, dial, and lugs on the 3C are nicer. I much prefer the shinier smooth surface of the S3 instead of the "brushed" finish of the GW4 Classic. Not that the box it came in matters that much, but I, too, was surprised at how stupid and annoying the packaging was for the 4C.
Anoth
Disaster ! Leather from the outside, sillicone from the inside
That's another perspective, for sure - but at least this 'disaster' looks about as good as Samsung's 'disasters,' for a fraction of the price. In fact, for that reason, I've ordered two more 'disasters'... 🤣😉

pabgar

Anoth

That's another perspective, for sure - but at least this 'disaster' looks about as good as Samsung's 'disasters,' for a fraction of the price. In fact, for that reason, I've ordered two more 'disasters'... 🤣😉
If it looks better or worse it is a matter of persolal taste :) My skin does not accept synthetic materials. I wear only pure cotton clothes, genuinel leather shoes and watch bands. I ordered this one:

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
If it looks better or worse it is a matter of persolal taste :) My skin does not accept synthetic materials. I wear only pure cotton clothes, genuinel leather shoes and watch bands. I ordered this one:
You may be disappointed then - I see the band you ordered also says 'top layer genuine leather' - who knows what that stuff is that will be touching your skin for $3.92 on AliExpress... 🙄

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
You are perfectly right but 3.92$ is not lifechanging amount of cash 🤣 I will check and share the experience :)
My thoughts exactly with the bands I have found on there and, as I mentioned, I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the one I received. As I look at yours again, that top layer of genuine leather may be on top on the inside too, so you may find that it's just fine for you - let us know when you get it! 😊

Marianxs

Jun 17, 2008
yes there are cheap but still silikone bands, only the top layer may be leather

but i want a full leather band that don't sticks to the skin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have one of these? I have had some bad experiences with AliExpress in the past. Silicon and leather for $6.00? I'm thinking this has zero chance of being real leather. I like the look of them though.

Ok, so, as I mentioned in my other thread, I just received this watchband - and not gonna lie, it looks surprisingly good! Like really good! Like you fliptwister, I was not expecting this level of quality for this price. Now, I should say that I have no way of telling if it's real leather (I'm guessing it's not) - but it feels great, and nice and soft, as does the silicone back. Note that the leather layer might already be starting to lift at the end that joins the watch - but then, I have seen this (on Reddit) on a brand-new Samsung hybrid leather strap, too. I figure if it does start to lift it can be glued and, regardless, still a bargain at that price.
    In the pack.jpg
    Front.jpg
    End.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    Inst Back.jpg
    On Face.jpg
    On Side.jpg

Here's another band on AliExpress I just ordered, as I was looking for a sport band similar to Samsung's - won't arrive for a bit, but I'll report back here when it does: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003347355458.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.63634c4dSV8JUJ
    who knows what that stuff is that will be touching your skin for $3.92 on AliExpress... 🙄
    You are perfectly right but 3.92$ is not lifechanging amount of cash 🤣 I will check and share the experience :)
    I too thought the 20mm band looked too small. I use one of those flex metallic bands and although I liked the band, it was just too small for the watch. So, I bought a 24mm leather band from Amazon and cut off 2mm from each side where the watch attached with an X-acto blade and then used a standard 20mm spring bar to connect the band to the watch. It looks much better on my wrist now. Pictures attached.

Watch with band
    galaxy4-w.jpg

Close up
    galaxy4-wb.jpg

Tools I used to carefully measure 20m and x-acto knife I used to cut the leather
    galaxy4-wc.jpg

On my wrist
    galaxy4-wd.jpg
    You might want to try looking for a corner notched band (like the stock strap is} so it's a bit wider where it meets the watch. You'll want something that fits 20mm lugs but then is 24mm wide where the strap goes past the lugs so it looks flush with the outside of the lugs. I've been looking for a black steel band like this and can't find anything... For leather it may actually be easier to just get a 24mm strap and carefully cut notches yourself to fit the 20mm width.
    Wasn't a fan of the rubber strap that came with the Galaxy Watch 4, mainly because of the gaps when on the wrist, so i bought myself a good quality leather strap.

But because of the 20mm fitting the strap looks to thin on the watch, & looks kinda silly what do you think?

View attachment 5402819
    Scan this QRcode

In the pack.jpg
    Front.jpg
    End.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    Inst Back.jpg
    On Face.jpg
    On Side.jpg
    who knows what that stuff is that will be touching your skin for $3.92 on AliExpress... 🙄