• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Galaxy Watch 4 classic using palm to turn off screen?

Search This thread

LarasLTU

Oct 11, 2021
I guess mine has a faulty sensor. Old Gear S3 worked fine with palm turning off the screen. Not a very big deal though...

Reactions: galaxys

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I guess mine has a faulty sensor. Old Gear S3 worked fine with palm turning off the screen. Not a very big deal though...
You're not alone - it doesn't work on mine either. I concluded that Samsung removed it/it's not a Wear OS feature, as it wasn't in the setup tutorial, and there's no setting for it. Although I have seen others like galaxys claim that it works, I'm not convinced...

Reactions: Drukan

tinuthir

May 25, 2013
Stuttgart
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Works on mine, too. The obvious questions are:

A. Is your always on display setting activated?
B. If yes, does your watch face have a dimmed view?

If a is yes and b is no, then placing the palm on the watch won't cause a change even if the sensor works. I had that issue for a while with a watch maker face that didn't have a dimmed view.

Reactions: galaxys

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa

If a is yes and b is no, then placing the palm on the watch won't cause a change even if the sensor works. I had that issue for a while with a watch maker face that didn't have a dimmed view.
What if a is no and b is sorta, as auto brightness is on? *Edit*: Just checked with auto brightness off, still doesn't work. Are you sure your screen isn't just timing out as you try this?

tinuthir

May 25, 2013
Stuttgart
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
If a is no, then b is irrelevant. If AOD is off, then the palm gesture should turn off the screen, period. The fact that the screen goes a bit darker proves that the ambient light sensor works, sure, but I'm unsure if that's the only sensor that determines whether the palm was placed on the watch. Might be multiple sensors?

Just saw your edit. I will test it.

Edit 2 after testing: my screen timeout is 15 seconds - the palm gesture is maybe 1 second. So that's not it.

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
If a is no, then b is irrelevant. If AOD is off, then the palm gesture should turn off the screen, period. The fact that the screen goes a bit darker proves that the ambient light sensor works, sure, but I'm unsure if that's the only sensor that determines whether the palm was placed on the watch. Might be multiple sensors?

Edit 2 after testing: my screen timeout is 15 seconds - the palm gesture is maybe 1 second. So that's not it.
Interesting. Thought maybe it might be related to using AOD, but nope, doesn't work either. Your's the regular Watch 4 or the Classic?

Varun82786

Sep 28, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I use this feature a lot it works perfectly on my gw4
For me it works in both the cases aod on and off... Difference being with aod on it dims the screen and with aod off it completely blacks out the screen
It also silences the call and stops the vibration when a call is received

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I found in manual, that it should be working: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...210722/lock_or_unlock_your_device_d1e772.html

Not sure if watch reset could help, also potentially could be fixed with next firmware upgrades, unless there is faulty sensor :(
Reset didn't do anything - other than show me how poor the backup is on the watch, and force me to install SHM Mod again... 😣 I doubt it's a faulty sensor (as everything else, i.e., auto brightness, works fine) - maybe my palms are too translucent? 🤣😉

Works on mine when bought new and then now. In between I had issues. After buying the watch I tested everything. Then about two days after my screen protector order arrived. PLaced it on the watch and I thought all was good. Eventually this topic came up in another forum and I checked mine. It wasn't working. Whatever I did it just seems that the palm to screen off wasn't working as it should. So I did a reset, etc. Still not working. I thought, who cares? It's not really a feature I use everyday anyway but somehow for me that means there was an issue. Then as I was looking at the screen I realized there were some lifts on the perimeter of the screen protector. I removed it. Then I tested the palm to screen off. Not once did it NOT work. I let it go without a protector for a day or so and it was still working. Since then I didn't use the tempered glass protector anymore. I bought one of those film type protectors and now the palm to screen off is working.

LarasLTU

Oct 11, 2021
Thanks @thephantom for the hint! Apparently it's working on mine as well, I just needed to put my palm much closer to the watch screen (in comparison to my Gear S3 where it was enough to put palm over the watch and not touch it at all), I'm pretty sure it should work for others too on GSW4, once you press your palm against the watch (touching the bezel with your palm with light pressure ) - it was just wrong expectation on my side from the other model...

Reactions: jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Thanks @thephantom for the hint! Apparently it's working on mine as well, I just needed to put my palm much closer to the watch screen (in comparison to my Gear S3 where it was enough to put palm over the watch and not touch it at all), I'm pretty sure it should work for others too on GSW4, once you press your palm against the watch (touching the bezel with your palm with light pressure ) - it was just wrong expectation on my side from the other model...
Well, I'll be damned - that does work. In fact, using the ball of your thumb seems to work well, and every time.

• Haha
Reactions: LarasLTU

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You're not alone - it doesn't work on mine either. I concluded that Samsung removed it/it's not a Wear OS feature, as it wasn't in the setup tutorial, and there's no setting for it. Although I have seen others like galaxys claim that it works, I'm not convinced...

I found in manual, that it should be working: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...210722/lock_or_unlock_your_device_d1e772.html

Not sure if watch reset could help, also potentially could be fixed with next firmware upgrades, unless there is faulty sensor :(