• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Galaxy Watch 4 LTE - how does it work?

Search This thread

efrank99

Feb 15, 2021
I have a few questions regarding GW4 LTE. In my country, it looks like the carrier doesn't support number sharing, so I'll have to set up the watch with a different phone number. My questions are:

1) what happens when I send new texts and calls from the watch on LTE - they will show up with the watch's number?
2) what happens when my phone gets a text sms - will I be able to respond on the watch? If yes, with the phone number or the watch's?

My guess would be the watch number for question 1 and phone number for question 2, but please help me out.

kbboykin

Aug 17, 2008
Nokesville, VA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I have a few questions regarding GW4 LTE. In my country, it looks like the carrier doesn't support number sharing, so I'll have to set up the watch with a different phone number. My questions are:

1) what happens when I send new texts and calls from the watch on LTE - they will show up with the watch's number?
2) what happens when my phone gets a text sms - will I be able to respond on the watch? If yes, with the phone number or the watch's?

My guess would be the watch number for question 1 and phone number for question 2, but please help me out.
I walk with just my watch in LTE only, on a separate line with my carrier. I receive texts without issue and answer them without issue. My wife would not respond to a text she doesn't know, so it sends my phone's number and not my watch as far as I know. Have not called anyone in LTE mode yet.

efrank99

Feb 15, 2021
I walk with just my watch in LTE only, on a separate line with my carrier. I receive texts without issue and answer them without issue. My wife would not respond to a text she doesn't know, so it sends my phone's number and not my watch as far as I know. Have not called anyone in LTE mode yet.
Thank you for this answer. Can you try to make a call and let me know what number is going to show? I have to decide whether to activate a data only line or an entirely new one.

kbboykin

Aug 17, 2008
Nokesville, VA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Thank you for this answer. Can you try to make a call and let me know what number is going to show? I have to decide whether to activate a data only line or an entirely new one.
Today, while out walking without my phone, I placed a call to my spare iPhone and it came up with my phone's number, not the watch number. I was using my Watch 3. I'll test also on the Watch 4 within the next 2-3 days.

efrank99

Feb 15, 2021
Today, while out walking without my phone, I placed a call to my spare iPhone and it came up with my phone's number, not the watch number. I was using my Watch 3. I'll test also on the Watch 4 within the next 2-3 days.
Thanks. If this is the case, there is an upside (you don't need the carrier to support number sharing) and a downside (your main phone needs to be charged and connected to the network, otherwise calls and texts won't work). Some users reported that the watch 4 will use its separate number, or at least that's what i have heard.