• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Galaxy Z Fold 3 Discussion

Search This thread

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
With recent leaks showing the device giving us an idea of what the device could look like, I was curious to what some of our gripes were as far as this phone goes. If you haven't already seen the leaks, you can click here. It also gives us an idea of what the next flip will look.

Now as far as my own personal gripes:
1. This is by far the biggest one - The front screen. I understand the reasoning behind making it easier on one handed use, but I genuinely do believe more people would rather have a normal aspect ratio as if it were a normal phone. With the mate x2 being released, it's definitely possible and if anything, looks more premium. I wouldn't be so harsh towards the subject if we were able to change the aspect ratio on the front screen as well (I know you can do this with goodlock regarding the inner screen, there's just no option for the front). This becomes an issue for social media apps (ex, snapchat or instagram) not being able to properly send pictures or post them due to that aspect ratio throwing it off. For those apps to be used properly, the inside screen would need to be opened and have the aspect ratio adjusted and there's no fix otherwise. All of this and the generalization of not wanting to open the phone up to see wider content almost every time.
There's a link here that provides a solution, but again, only for the front/cover screen.
2. Sharp edges - If you're holding the phone for an extended period of time, you'll more than likely become uncomfortable with it on the left side (while using it closed). I will say, looking into the leaked photos, it seems they have fixed the issue by curving it.

Samsung-Galaxy-Z-Fold-3-leaked-promo-image-1.jpeg

3. Hinge design - Now this phone is a solid tank from my experience. Someone had accidentally dropped my phone, relatively brutally at that and the hinge had gotten stuck for a second and popped banked into place (Don't ask, just call me lucky). While I think it's extremely durable, I'd definitely like to see the improve with it's design. It seems that they may have from that leak (which again, could possibly not be the actual device). The comparison I'd like to make again would be to the mate x2 and you'll see below what I mean and the over aesthetic of the phone while it's closed. Granted the x2 is newer, the overall design does make it look discrete as far as being a foldable.
Huawei-Mate-X2-vs-Galaxy-Fold-2.jpg

4. Weight - This one I'm not very optimistic on, just because there are more parts and factors that go into a folding phone. The overall weight can be an annoyance overtime while holding it closed. This kind of brings me back to my first point of it being wider, with a wider body, it'd seem that there would be more surface area to distribute that weight versus making the phone feel like a brick.
5. Other stuff would consist of the gap itself. I hate to keep comparing it to the X2, but they definitely did build a solid device in terms of design. From the leaks, it's been made out to be that the gap on the upcoming z fold 3 will be greatly reduced. Time will tell on that one.

As far as the leaks on the z fold 3, it does seem like it has some promising upgrades. One being the under-display camera. Hopefully it's greatly improved over the first generation one that had been released in I believe a ZTE phone. I see S Pen support as well which is neat for a bigger display for sure. It's a little disappointing to see that they, again, chose a lackluster route on the camera array. Not saying they'd be bad cameras by any means, but a TOF sensor or zoom lens would've been a little more justifiable regarding pricing of these phones (especially in a flagship standpoint).

Reactions: blackhawk

ronaldheld

Feb 2, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
With recent leaks showing the device giving us an idea of what the device could look like, I was curious to what some of our gripes were as far as this phone goes. If you haven't already seen the leaks, you can click here. It also gives us an idea of what the next flip will look.

Now as far as my own personal gripes:
1. This is by far the biggest one - The front screen. I understand the reasoning behind making it easier on one handed use, but I genuinely do believe more people would rather have a normal aspect ratio as if it were a normal phone. With the mate x2 being released, it's definitely possible and if anything, looks more premium. I wouldn't be so harsh towards the subject if we were able to change the aspect ratio on the front screen as well (I know you can do this with goodlock regarding the inner screen, there's just no option for the front). This becomes an issue for social media apps (ex, snapchat or instagram) not being able to properly send pictures or post them due to that aspect ratio throwing it off. For those apps to be used properly, the inside screen would need to be opened and have the aspect ratio adjusted and there's no fix otherwise. All of this and the generalization of not wanting to open the phone up to see wider content almost every time.
There's a link here that provides a solution, but again, only for the front/cover screen.
2. Sharp edges - If you're holding the phone for an extended period of time, you'll more than likely become uncomfortable with it on the left side (while using it closed). I will say, looking into the leaked photos, it seems they have fixed the issue by curving it.

View attachment 5298983
3. Hinge design - Now this phone is a solid tank from my experience. Someone had accidentally dropped my phone, relatively brutally at that and the hinge had gotten stuck for a second and popped banked into place (Don't ask, just call me lucky). While I think it's extremely durable, I'd definitely like to see the improve with it's design. It seems that they may have from that leak (which again, could possibly not be the actual device). The comparison I'd like to make again would be to the mate x2 and you'll see below what I mean and the over aesthetic of the phone while it's closed. Granted the x2 is newer, the overall design does make it look discrete as far as being a foldable.
View attachment 5298989
4. Weight - This one I'm not very optimistic on, just because there are more parts and factors that go into a folding phone. The overall weight can be an annoyance overtime while holding it closed. This kind of brings me back to my first point of it being wider, with a wider body, it'd seem that there would be more surface area to distribute that weight versus making the phone feel like a brick.
5. Other stuff would consist of the gap itself. I hate to keep comparing it to the X2, but they definitely did build a solid device in terms of design. From the leaks, it's been made out to be that the gap on the upcoming z fold 3 will be greatly reduced. Time will tell on that one.

As far as the leaks on the z fold 3, it does seem like it has some promising upgrades. One being the under-display camera. Hopefully it's greatly improved over the first generation one that had been released in I believe a ZTE phone. I see S Pen support as well which is neat for a bigger display for sure. It's a little disappointing to see that they, again, chose a lackluster route on the camera array. Not saying they'd be bad cameras by any means, but a TOF sensor or zoom lens would've been a little more justifiable regarding pricing of these phones (especially in a flagship standpoint).
How soon before it gets it own set of fora? July or August?

6. Cameras. It is CRIMINAL of Samsung not to put S21U camera modules in the most expensive spartphone they sell. No more S10 sensors please.

Reactions: milo78

Machater

Jun 28, 2021
My utter disappointment in the Pixel 5 may lead me to go this route when this comes out... Assuming I can root it and get rid of all of Samsung's garbage software.

Honestly, does ANYONE use "Bixby"???

Reactions: milo78

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Meanwhile Samsung has grossly neglected it's most popular flagship line, the Note.
Brilliant, a real masterpiece as Samsung flat spins in on full afterburner and keeps its nose up... *splash*

Reactions: milo78 and vinokirk

bigfire

Feb 25, 2004
Am I the only one who sees the 3 as being a tiny improvement over the 2? If I could get a native Google experience on it I'd have already jumped ship for the Mate X2. I'm surprised that Samsung isn't improving the aspect ratio and sizes of the screens, or giving significantly better cameras. Yes, an under the screen camera would be nice, but I just don't see much that would cause me to upgrade from the 2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe something like Macrodroid?
    Wittle Bixby is a menace...
    Yeah, I've avoided Bixby all this time. I don't like any 'assistants!

I caved today. It's fairly simple and works a treat. I'll consider using tasker when I get time off from playing with this bad boy... 😜
    Bixby is alright. I like how it integrates well into the OneUI Framework apps and allows deeply integrated shortcuts while keeping me from repeating mundane tasks which would otherwise have required rooting and manually configuring AutoInput for every action.

Tasker is of course way more powerful and I can't live without it. I support every tool that gets the job done
    How do you disable digital wellbeing ?
    Open digital wellbeing--> 3 dots --> settings --> deny access to user data. That should make it stop tracking and eating the battery. Since stats will show 0 mins once it's done.
    The screen protector on the cover screen is preinstalled and better quality than previous generation
    Thanx for the reply, I really appreciate it! 🙂 I knew Sammy started preinstalling a protector on their high end devices, (my Note 10+ & 20 Ultra had it), & the ZF3's main screen had the newer, more durable protector preinstalled, but I wasn't sure about the outer screen until now. I preordered the ZF3, (it'll arrive in the next couple days), & if I would have needed to order a protector for the outer screen I wanted to have it in time to install day 1, (I wasn't keen on using the phone without it), so the forums confirmation was a huge help!! 👍🏽 (the ocd is pleased, lol 🤣)!
    Why is there no dedicated forum for this device? (Galaxy Z Fold 3)
    What do you mean? You're in it. This thread is in the ZF3 forum.
    This is it, I'm in the UK, don't know anyone/anywhere in London with the speed you posted.
    I have hit 500 megs in London on EE 5g

Here is a 400 example

Screenshot_20210902-211901_Speedtest.jpg
    The SGZF3 arrived about 2 hours ago. Using and configuring the main screen is such a large paradigm shift from what I've been used to that taking the time to customize both screens will be quite the time sink. Should be fun though. +1 on starting a new tips and tricks thread!
    I ended up installing Nova (it's what I've used for eons on other devices). It works fine and has the benefit of running the same layout on both the cover screen and the main inside screen. Less laggy than One UI home, plus custom icons and gestures.