- Aug 14, 2011
If you haven't heard of LocNet's GameKeyboard, it's basically an app that allows you to do multiple things; from creating an on-screen game-keyboard to re-mapping hardware keys.
The official 2.0 update has been released that allows something absolutely revolutionary for Xperia PLAY owners; touch-screen to hardware keyboard action mapping.
...and what does that mean? ALL Android games become Xperia PLAY Optimized... never again will we have to use lame-ass touch controls for games that are clearly too action-reaction based to be played with virtual buttons
BASIC SETUP TUTORIAL:
• Root Access (SEE THIS THREAD!)
• Step 1: Install and open GameKeyboard. Click "Step 1: Tap here, find..." and Check the box next to Game Keyboard
• Step 2: Long-press the "Step 2: Tap here and..." area until a window pops up; select "Input Method", then select "Game Keyboard"
• Step 3: Click the Button that says "Step 4: (Optional) Tap here to..." There are a number of changes we must make here.
........- Click "Select Gamepad," and select "8 buttons"
........- If necessary, check the box that says "8-way D-Pad"
........- Check the Box that says "Re-map Hardkey" (Checking the "Show start and select is not necessary")
• Step 4: Enter the "Hardkey Mappings" sub-menu, we will make a number of re-maps here
........- Select "Mapping 1". When the window appears, press X on your Xperia Play, then scroll down to "Gamepad A"
........- Select "Mapping 2". When the window appears, press O on your Xperia Play, then scroll down to "Gamepad B"
........- Select "Mapping 3". When the window appears, press Select on your Xperia Play, then scroll down to "Gamepad Z"
........- Select "Mapping 4". When the window appears, press Start on your Xperia Play, then scroll down to "Gamepad C"
........- Press the phone's back hardware key to exit "Hardkey Mappings" (NOTE: Circle no longer doubles as "back")
• Step 5: Enter the "Layout Edit" Sub-Menu, Check both "Layout Edit Mode" and "Enable Custom Layout," then press back
• Step 6: Scroll all the way down to the bottom of this menu and select "Touchscreen Mode"
• Step 7: That's it! From here you can easily pull up the GameKeyboard, and start drag-mapping touch-screen actions to hardware keys or importing from the archive of pre-made game configurations if you don't want to manually configure every game.
• GameKeyboard 2.0 article on XperiaPlayGamer: http://xperiaplaygamer.net/articles/everything-xperia-play-optimized.html
• GameKeyboard 2.0 article on PocketGamer: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Xperia+Play/Sony+Ericsson+Xperia+Play/news.asp?c=40221
• GameKeyboard 2.0 article on IntoMobile: http://www.intomobile.com/2012/04/26/gamekeyboard-makes-all-android-games-optimized-rooted-sony-ericsson-xperia-play/
• GameKeyboard 2.0 article on TalkAndroid: http://www.talkandroid.com/109619-gamekeyboard-2-0-adds-xperia-play-gamepad-support-to-all-android-games/
• GameKeyboard 2.0 article on Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/gamekeyboard-for-xperia-play/
• GameKeyboard on the Google Play Store: PLAY STORE LINK
• GameKeyboard BETA Video Backlog on YouTube: BETA 1, BETA 2
Don't feel like setting up each and every game? CLICK HERE AND CHECK OUT THE IMPORT-ABLE PRE-SETS I'VE MADE!