• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GAPPS][DAILY] Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices

Search This thread
Bootloop here with open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20211203.zip

Went back to 20211125 that works

Bootloop thrown back to recovery reported on clean install of Galaxy S III Neo (Samsung Camera) (s3ve3gjv) + LineageOS 18.1 + open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20211203 here.

Edit: @Nezorflame added build date as reported by the user.

Last edited:

dwardo

Jan 15, 2011
France
In before curiousrom! 😆

Reported it to the team. 👍

Any in between those working?

Edit: Also some logs of the bootloop and GApps install would be nice to help narrow it down.
Bootloop to twrp to be precise
Haven't tried anything in between
I can redo install to get you a last_kmsg.log and install.log. Anything else you need ?

dwardo

Jan 15, 2011
France
Bootloop to twrp to be precise
Haven't tried anything in between
I can redo install to get you a last_kmsg.log and install.log. Anything else you need ?
Attached are the gapps install logs.
Can't find the previous kernel log... Don't have /proc/last_kmsg or /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops

Attachments

• open_gapps_log.20211203.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
  • open_gapps_debug_logs.20211203.tar.gz
    124.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: curiousrom

sevenrock

Nov 27, 2012
Hi,
Play Store and Play Services seem out-of-sync:
logcat80:12-04 16:23:52.531 4995 5255 W GooglePlayServicesUtil: Google Play services out of date for com.google.android.youtube. Requires 214680000 but found 214515037
12-04 22:14:10.290 8167 8277 W GooglePlayServicesUtil: de.rki.coronawarnapp requires the Google Play Store, but it is missing.
using this tree
with opengapps included into my private los-18.1 build using https://github.com/opengapps/aosp_build

Will try to revert https://gitlab.opengapps.org/opengapps/arm64/-/commit/8810d419f3e0806aae3bb41a9bd4d493bfa96dbb in the next build and report back.
EDIT 1: Was not enough, will try to remove the Google Play services from Nov 29th as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev

Game-R

Jul 7, 2009
Hi there,
Would like to inquire if it's a known issue that Open GApps would break Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast?

I have a Sony Xperia Z5 flashed with an Android 7.1.2 ROM that I use for a car diagnostic display that was able to connect to a Hudway Cast device that uses the Miracast protocol. I've discovered that upon completing running 7.1 version of Open GApps Aroma installer, to remove some apps I don't want in the phone (I don't want GMail and YouTube that came in the ROM to take up space and memory), the device isn't able to detect any wireless (Miracast) displays.
I also noticed that the Wi-Fi Direct configuration page, that was working fine before, is completely dead: Clicking on "Search For Devices" would do nothing and upon attempting to rename the device would result in a "Failed to rename device" error message.

I've tried installing all of the GApps and selected not to remove any of the LineageOS or AOSP programs to see if there was something I was removing or not including in the installation that was causing this problem, but I found that regardless, after completing GApps installer, the phone's Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast capabilities just dropped dead.

Any advice on this and what I would need to do to get Miracast working on my phone would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Last edited:

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
@Game-R
OpenGapps is designed to add GApps to a rom without it, not remove functions from a rom that included GApps from the start.

It's likely that OpenGapps makes a mess of the roms included GApps, because files are stored in different places. Don't do this.

Instead, you should research ways to de-bloat your rom. To some extent, you can delete apps by just deleting their files from the system partition. But it will be a trial and error process to find what you can remove without breaking other things. Or go the simpler route: deactivate the apps in settings without removing them fully.

Reactions: zimral.xda

ALTracer

May 5, 2018
Cheboksary
4pda.ru
In before curiousrom! 😆

Reported it to the team. 👍

Any in between those working?

Edit: Also some logs of the bootloop and GApps install would be nice to help narrow it down.
Got some logs for you.

After trying to update open_gapps-arm64-11.0-super 20211112->20211204, my phone failed to boot. Reverting to 20211125 achieved successful boot, but apps are old (and Play Store offers updates).

Apparently Wellbeing now requires android.permission.REAL_GET_TASKS and android.permission.START_TASKS_FROM_RECENTS.

Regarding @curiousrom 's suggestion. Can your team at least try your biggest arm64 `super` packages on some Android-capable Raspberry Pi 3/4 before rolling them out into production? Why did the script detecting permissions miss this?

Phone: santoni 3/32
ROM: LineageOS 18.1 20211111 mi-msm8937 landtoni unofficial by 0xCAFEBABE (nevermind the raven fingerprint).

Attachments

@Nezorflame - Please remove the broken builds from the server ASAP!

Oh My Gosh, the bootloop was reported 48 hours ago in this thread & on Telegram and hundreds of users keep on downloading the broken builds, wasting their time & posting about it. :(

A OnePlus 7T + LineageOS 18.1 reported it here in the LOS subreddit and @haggertk who is one of the 9 Lineage Project director posted in it:

"Opengapps is perennially broken. You can play whack-a-mole and start picking older and older packages until you find a non-broken one, or use MTG, which is actually tested, instead."

This is so bad for the Open GApps Project's reputation. :( 🤦‍♂️

This is a draft and the commit is not merged yet but LineageOS is about to add a warning against Open GApps in it's wiki: https://lineage.harryyoud.co.uk/318857/2/gapps.html :

Open_GApps_Wiki_Warning_Draft.png

Broken Open GApps Builds Again!

The era of publishing untested rolling releases of Open GApps is over.

Google is moving the goal posts all the time and that breaks stuff.

Better a monthly thoroughly tested release instead.

That's better for the reputation of Open GApps & also for the users instead of wasting their time with broken builds.

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
@Nezorflame - Please remove the broken builds from the server ASAP!

Oh My Gosh, the bootloop was reported 48 hours ago in this thread & on Telegram and hundreds of users keep on downloading the broken builds, wasting their time & posting about it. :(

A OnePlus 7T + LineageOS 18.1 reported it here in the LOS subreddit and @haggertk who is one of the 9 Lineage Project director posted in it:

"Opengapps is perennially broken. You can play whack-a-mole and start picking older and older packages until you find a non-broken one, or use MTG, which is actually tested, instead."

This is so bad for the Open GApps Project's reputation. :( 🤦‍♂️

This is a draft and the commit is not merged yet but LineageOS is about to add a warning against Open GApps in it's wiki: https://lineage.harryyoud.co.uk/318857/2/gapps.html :

View attachment 5475539

Interesting that they do not have a link to MindTheGapps for Android 10.
or test builds for Android 12

Why are they linking to OpenGApps nano packages?
I have not compared them recently.
The last time I checked MindTheGapps was closer to pico.

--

I would recommend you contact @hazzer (if he even is still on xda) and ask him to rewrite that warning a little nicer.

That kind of negativity is what makes everyone walk away from a project.
Unless that is the goal.
The You've been warned. part is salt in a wound and over the top. 🤬

Cheers. :cowboy:

@ipdev - Your are missing the points:

It's not fair to use unsuspecting users at large as beta testers.

It takes too long to remove broken builds from the servers and that was discussed in this thread a while ago.

BTW MindTheGApps is similar to Nano but without Google Digital Wellbeing and it's always tested by several users before being released.

Reactions: sieghartRM

Nezorflame

You're all correct.

To reiterate on what has been said before:
1 - permission verification script is in the works, there's an open PR on Github which will help us with this kind of issues in the future
2 - for now this is done manually, so fixes are slow - should be fixed by 1
3 - ALWAYS have a backup gapps package (OpenGApps or any other one) before updating, this applies to any kind of software, ROM or kernel. We do have testing issues so that's especially true in this case.

Once we have script in the pipeline and testing bot/group, we will continue A12 work.
In the meantime, bad packages have been pulled and permission fix was merged.

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
@ipdev - Your are missing the points:

It's not fair to use unsuspecting users at large as beta testers.

It takes too long to remove broken builds from the servers and that was discussed in this thread a while ago.

BTW MindTheGApps is similar to Nano but without Google Digital Wellbeing and it's always tested by several users before being released.
I understand.
I for one, can not wait for a stable (milestone) source branch that stable releases can be build from. ;)

Since Google keeps pushing the finish line, it is harder to keep up with newer builds.

---

I am nowhere near others when it comes to contributing to open source and/or the Android community.
I might get more angry about it because I respect all who freely give their knowledge and limited free time.
Including those who try to help and contribute when they can.

---

Lineage, for as much as they try to separate themselves from it, builds MindTheGapps.
They only update when needed and have time, the apps are often out dated.
This require users to update and use space in userdata.

I agree with this to a certain degree.
Opposite from their rom nightly builds that build everything even if there is no change for the device.
Use it or Lose it build server time.

MindTheGapps is build to a specific Android (SDK) version.

This means they can make simple changes to the build and installer scripts without worry.

---

OpenGApps is a completely different project.

It is meant to be the most up-to-date version of gApps.
I do not think daily builds should be run if there is no change.
Again, the use it or Lose it build server time.

---

The point everyone seems to be missing is OpenGApps is a large project.

Supports more than one Android (SDK) version.

So the build and install scripts have to be written to be compatible with multiple Android versions and device architecture.
Not only updated but also make sure not to break backwards compatibility.

To fully test, every build would have to be tested on ...
  • arm
  • arm64
  • x86
  • x86_64

Multiply this by two to eight builds per Android level (most have at least eight).
Currently twelve official (SDK19 -> SDK30) and one more unofficial (SDK31).
Not including the TV builds.

That will never happen.

As I noted in a previous post.
Every developer uses their user base as a test subject.
Roll out release.

---

Save for contributors, at the core there is currently only four active members.
Please correct me if I missed an active core member.

Nezorflame took up the mantle to keep OpenGApps updated and at the forefront. (y)

---

If LineageOS has issues with OpenGApps.
Maybe more than just a few lineage developers could help by contributing to the OpenGApps project. 🙃

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: osm0sis

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
A few Lineage developers do actually contribute to Open GApps fairly regularly. 🙃

But, yeah, it's pretty much 98% Nezorflame now, so honestly it would be nice if some people took all the energy they use to write pages of commentary about how Open GApps should/shouldn't be run and would use it to learn how to shell script or Python script and actually contribute something useful. 🙄😉

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
That would not solve Open GApps's #1 issue. 😕
I think Open GApps' #1 problem is ****ing complainers.

If there were more people working on the project instead of complaining about the project then there really wouldn't be any issues. Scripting the automated adding of the new permissions will resolve pretty much all the problems that have cropped up recently, but Nezorflame is one guy trying to fit things in when he can.

Next time you want to complain about how long it's taking to get something done how about you try to figure out how you personally can contribute code to get it done more quickly.

Last edited:

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Ya those fuzzing annoying users caught in a bootloop & those lazy LineageOS team members are real $!%$#!
At no point did I call anyone from Lineage lazy, so you can drop that nonsense right now.

Feel free to become capable of contributing code to help, or at the very least anything other than your ongoing shi*ty attitude.

Reactions: sieghartRM

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Also, builds are still paused since 20211221? Intentional, or something broke and nobody noticed yet?

I noticed and was glad that the crazy machine churning out daily untested builds was finally stopped.

Better 1 good build a month and stick with it if no issues are reported IMO.
    I'm unsure whether this is a bug with OpenGApps and whether to report it on the GitHub repository, so asking here first.

I am using LineageOS 18.1 on a OnePlus 6 (enchilada) device. Google Pay is set up and works.
    However, the QuickAccessWallet service is not working, i.e. the "Cards & Passes" toggle is not there in settings, and it's not showing up in the Power menu.

Checking a logcat during boot, I find:
    Code:
    12-23 00:42:29.791  1003  1003 W PackageManager: Failed to scan /system/system_ext/priv-app/QuickAccessWallet: Application package com.android.systemui.plugin.globalactions.wallet already installed.  Skipping duplicate.
    12-23 00:42:52.778  2173  2291 D PluginInstanceManager: Plugin doesn't have permission: com.android.systemui.plugin.globalactions.wallet
    12-23 00:44:02.035 12627 12684 D InstalledAppProviderSer: insertAppIntoDb com.android.systemui.plugin.globalactions.wallet

I find the plugin twice in my /system partition, once in /system//priv-app/QuickAccessWallet and once in /system/system_ext/priv-app/QuickAccessWallet.

I guess one version is from OpenGApps and one from LineageOS. Is this expected? Is the permission error a ROM issue, or is some permission whitelisting to be added to the OpenGApps package?
    @olifee
    I do not use GooglePay (or have a OnePlus 6 [enchilada]) so, I do not have first hand experience.

I did a quick check and dumped the lineage-18.1-20211221-nightly-enchilada-signed build.

The QuickAccessWallet.apk in system_ext/priv-app/ is from LineageOS.
    Code:
    package: name='com.android.systemui.plugin.globalactions.wallet' versionCode='10000000' versionName='1.0.0.0' compileSdkVersion='30' compileSdkVersionCodename='11'
    sdkVersion:'30'
    targetSdkVersion:'30'

Same version OpenGApps is using.
    Code:
    package: name='com.android.systemui.plugin.globalactions.wallet' versionCode='10000000' versionName='1.0.0.0' compileSdkVersion='30' compileSdkVersionCodename='11'
    sdkVersion:'30'
    targetSdkVersion:'30'

I am a bit confused because OpenGApps includes it in the all/app/ sources so it should be installed into /system/app/ but when I checked on a device I have Lineage 19 and OpenGApps Stock installed..
    Code:
    find / -name 'QuickAccessWallet.apk' 2> dev/null;
    /system/priv-app/QuickAccessWallet/QuickAccessWallet.apk
    /system/system_ext/priv-app/QuickAccessWallet/QuickAccessWallet.apk

Not quite sure why it ends up in /system/priv-app/ :unsure:

Will look into it a bit more tomorrow night. ;)

@ipdev Many thanks for looking into it!
    So it seems from the logcat that in my case, the version from OpenGApps is loaded first / preferred and gets the permission error.

I guess the install location comes from here:

Hope this helps and cheers :)
    look at #7219

OpenGApps UNOFFICIAL - MediaFire - Link
    The Android 12 versions are in the SDK31 folder.

But be aware that this is a REAL EARLY release.
    I would not take them for any device in production
    Questions? Use Q&A!
    Please read the FAQ before reporting any bugs or errors!
    If you post in the main thread not having read the FAQ or error message itself, not included a debug log when reporting a malfuction or reporting a Force Closure without a logcat, your post will be ignored by the developers!
    Not because we are evil, but because the same questions keep popping up over and over again and too often we get a "X doesn't work, plz fix" without any clue what is happening. We don't have telepathic connection to your device and all the time unnecessarily wasted on this can't be spend on development of Open GApps itself.

The Latest builds of Open GApps for Android can easily be downloaded from the:

I work on this project for FREE and putting in a lot of hours into it. While not mandatory, donations encourage me to continue to further pursue this project and I'd deeply appreciate them, if you feel generous.
    Donate to The Open GApps Project

Are you a ROM developer and want to hotlink to the latest Open GApps package? Then check this wiki entry for details.
    Please don't publicly mirror the prebuilt packages without explicit consent of @MastahF, to ensure that users will always be directed to the very latest version and the source code of the project.

About The Open GApps Project
    Open GApps is a Google Apps package completely developed by writing buildscripts which allow for the automated creation of new up-to-date packages automatically.
    The development process is completely open-source (GPLv3) and the goal is to have multiple contributors involved, to secure and reinforce the sustainability of Open GApps development.
    Builds are generated every (European) night automatically (if there are any changes) and uploaded to GitHub.

Official AROMA Open GApps package is developed in collaboration with long-time LP-AROMA-developer @raulx222 and has a dedicated XDA thread
    For any questions about the AROMA installer development, please refer to that thread. Of course, general support questions can also be asked in our own Q&A thread.

Official Open GApps For Stock support is developed in collaboration with @Rapper_skull and has a dedicated XDA thread
    For any questions about the GApps for Stock development, please refer to that thread. Of course, general support questions can also be asked in our own Q&A thread.

The x86 package branch of the package is focused on Zenfone support and is maintained by @deadman96385 of the famous Zenfone GApps packages and has its own topic for x86 related questions

For those that cook their own ROM, an AOSP-build mechanism for Open GApps has been developed by @blystad and can be found at GitHub, remember that you should not bundle any pre-packaged Google Apps with any ROMs you want to distribute further though.

To gather all the various APKs that are necessary for the packages our master of the APK Universe @MNBooZe has written a tool called APKCrawler that scrape these from the internet, e.g. from APKMirror, it can be found at GitHub too.

Characteristic of Open GApps:

• Some highlights about the characteristics of the Open GApps packages:
    • All platforms and and all Android versions are supported
    • DPI-optimized support for all Google packages (unlike other GApps)
    • Frequently updated Google Apps: The pre-built OpenGApps.org packages are updated every (European) night (if there are any updated Google Apps available)
    • Strong compression, allowing for relatively small downloads of even the most complete packages
    • Automatic backup: It is not necessary to re-flash Google Apps when you flash a ROM update. Most ROMs support this (addon.d) function
    • The installer checks your device’s capabilities, like the system partition size. It will notify you, before making any changes, if it finds any problems
    • Several package variations, from a Google Super Package (includes all applications that ever shipped on a Google device), to a Stock package that equals the set of applications found on the most current and complete Nexus, to smaller, minimalist packages and an AROMA package that allows graphically selection of what to install
    • A special ‘for Stock ROM’ installation mode that allows to update the Google Apps on Stock ROMs that conform to the original Google Nexus filesystem structure
    • All package installations can be customized to your individual preferences using our Advanced Features and Options

The idea behind this project:
    I believe a big source of the problem for many GApps packages to stay up-to-date (or not be forfeited) is the lack of time for developers to do labour-intensive repetive every time a new google-app apk is released.
    That is why I have taken it upto myself to write some Linux shell scripts to automate the packaging and to share these efforts with the world with the goal to create a team to continue this package together under the name Open GApps.

This project should not be managed by a person, but by a team, so volunteers willing to help are more than welcome!

Open GApps installer uses open source third-party tools, like busybox and xzdec, compiled by @YashdSaraf; See his busybox thread for more info.
    Open GApps is originally based on the now discontinued PA GApps package of @TKruzze and @osm0sis
    Tomorrow there will be 7.0 builds
    Small update concerning Nougat: everything is almost in place, only HotWord Enrollment is not de-odexable yet.
    So tomorrow there will be 7.0 builds, ready for when the first source and custom ROMs will drop.
    Of course beta-quality because they cannot be tested yet, so be careful.
    There are some minor changes, Google changed their keyboard stuff, so there will be no swypelibs possible anymore.
    Google VR Services is backported to all Android versions (so all the way from 4.4 to 6.0) but ofc not yet known how well it will work.
    Also there are some new 7.0 core apps for Google's Shared Android Services (com.google.android.ext.shared; com.google.android.ext.services)
    Trusted Face's unlock has also some major changes, it seems the pittpatt suff is not necessary anymore for 7.0.

That's it for now
    For those who hadn't spotted it yet: we can celebrate 1 year of Open GApps :)
    http://opengapps.org/blog/post/2016/05/09/open-gapps-first-anniversary/
    Sorry to drop in but needed to clean up some unnecessary posts that were burying more legitimate posts to the thread.

Going into someone's thread and demanding they make you something is not only just plain rude, it goes against everything XDA is about. Numerous people suggested a way for you to remove the gapps and you chose to ignore them. The dev isn't going to make an uninstaller just for you. You could also always use root explorer and remove the apps that way too. Anywho, there won't be an uninstaller made so no need to continue this conversation.

Thread Cleaned
    A very small update on the latest Open GApps development focus: Recently most effort went to the APKCrawler project.
    We wanted to mature our playstorecrawler scripts and with the help of @therealssj, who is expert on the Play Store protocol, we were able to make a fully functional crawler for the Play Store (next to our regular crawling of websites like apkmirror). That means we (read: @MNBooZe) are able to fetch APKs for all dpis and all architecture straight from the Google source and greatly helps to have as complete as possible packages for every device available.