[GAPPS][DAILY] Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices

Search This thread
Re: Android 12 - Open GApps?

Is there an update planned for opengaps 12?

Yes eventually. No ETA.

Meanwhile check this post and below it for the MindTheGApps alternative.

The Nano & Stock from that link were reported broken in the last few pages.

Also Android Auto is broken in that Pico test build.

@ipdev: Maybe you could delete those builds or try to fix them?

When I asked Nezorflame in his Telegram group if there was hope for Android 12 packages he replied "Yes, more like in first days of May but yes".

josephcsible

Nov 3, 2016

I don't see any reports of the nano builds for Android 12 or 12L being broken. Are you sure you aren't confusing them with reports for some of the builds for Android 10 and 11 being broken? And as for stock, it isn't totally broken, but rather just needs a workaround that I posted: https://xdaforums.com/t/gapps-daily...ndroid-versions-devices.3098071/post-86824021

I don't see any reports of the nano builds for Android 12 or 12L being broken...

See the quotes in https://xdaforums.com/t/gapps-daily...ndroid-versions-devices.3098071/post-86822647

FYI you can click on the arrows to see the original posts.

...And as for stock, it isn't totally broken, but rather just needs a workaround that I posted...

Sending users to broken builds is a waste of time for them if you don't include a warning & a link to your workaround.

josephcsible

Nov 3, 2016
ph03n!x said that it worked fine (except for Android Auto). master373 and I were only talking about stock, not nano. auspufftröte tried to use API31 GApps on an API32 OS. It looks like the only person you quoted who had a real issue with nano was maxed4901 (which I acknowledge I did miss at first), but I don't think that means the package is broken, since it seems fine for everyone else.
Sending users to broken builds is a waste of time for them if you don't include a warning & a link to your workaround.
Valid point.

Reactions: ipdev

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Re: Android 12 - Open GApps?

Yes eventually. No ETA.

Meanwhile check this post and below it for the MindTheGApps alternative.

When I asked Nezorflame in his Telegram group if there was hope for Android 12 packages he replied "Yes, more like in first days of May but yes".
The builds in my gDrive link are initial test builds. ;)
Seem to work as well as expected for an initial test build.
- So, no I will not delete them any time soon. ;)

I (and others) are using them on a few different devices without major issue(s).

Android Auto is broken.

The stock 12L build might break touch on SELinux permissive devices.
Missing permissions in the stock build will cause a bootloop on SELinux enforced devices.
- That is why I noted not to use the test stock build unless you are using a config script.

I am currently using the 12L nano test build on my Pixel 5a official lineage 19.1.
- No issues that I ran into so far (save for Android Auto).

--

It takes time to do this.
My time has been limited so I try to do a few things each night. 🙃

I am planning to test a new build this weekend. ;)

Thanks to @josephcsible - Post 7,293
- I do not have to figure out Actions Services.
- - Only have to add camera.
XML:
<permission name="android.permission.MANAGE_MUSIC_RECOGNITION"/>
<permission name="android.permission.MANAGE_UI_TRANSLATION"/>
<permission name="android.permission.SYSTEM_CAMERA"/>

Thanks to a dev I highly respect. :D
- Leading me to the solution for Android Auto.
- Suggesting other updates/fixes.

Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.

Please remeber there is one big difference between MindTheGapps and OpenGApps.

The MindTheGapps project builds GApps for one level of Android.

The OpenGApps project builds GApps for multiple levels of Android.
It becomes more complicated when the build scripts and defualt apks have to be compatible with multiple versions of Android and device architectures.
Add multiple release varations from pico to super and it complicates matters more.​

LeZamalien

Jan 8, 2022
I run arm/arm64 builds of pico, nano and stock for testing.

Once they are tested a bit and seem stable, I upload them to MediaFire.
MediaFire - Link

Android 12 builds are in the SDK31 folder.
The 20211218 builds include some permission updates.​

---

Last week I ran SDK32 builds to test on LineageOS.
LineageOS is merging 12.1.0_r1 into the 19.0 branch instead of creating a 19.1 branch.​
LineageOS Gerrit - Topic 12L - Link
Edit: I just checked and see they decided to bump up to 19.1 a few days ago.​

Note:
Now that Android 12L is official, the release props still show as 12 not 12.1 or 12L.
The build tag was bumped to 12.1.0 and the boot image is now SDK32 but, the kernel version is still showing as 12.0.0
The boot image was SDK31 on the 12L preview release.​

The only way to determine if you are running 12 or 12L is by checking the SDK level.
SDK31 = Android 12
SDK32 = Android 12L

The initial 12L OpenGApps test builds were blind builds and untested.
I did not have a device/rom to test them on. 🙃

I few days later I was able to test them on a Pixel C, Lineage 19.0 SDK32 build.
Since it is a tablet, it utilized the large screen layout of SDK32.​

The 12L pico and nano builds seem to be safe.

The 12L stock build had issues with Pixel launcher so, I would suggest not using it for now.
Unless you are using a gapps config script to customize the install.

Android 12L (SDK32) test builds are currently on gDrive.
gDrive - Link

Everyone is welcome to give them a try.

Cheers all. :cowboy:
Using 12L on lineage 19.1 ((Samsung A5).. awesome work.. keep it up

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hi all. :)

I realized I never gave my current testing branch in this thread. 🙃
build - [GitHub] - Link

I pushed my local source changes to gitlab.
My local changes - [GitLab] - Link
My local changes - [GitLab] - Link

AA v1.2.512130-stub was pulled from my Pixel 6 [oriole-sp2a.220505.002] stock Google (May 2022).
I might revert the AA-stub update or replace it with a different version.​

My new test builds still have some issues. :cautious:
  • Added some permissions.
    GitLab - Commit
  • Added an overlay for Android Auto.
    GitHub - Commit
    GitLab - Commit
  • Android Auto v1.2.512130-stub

Reason for overlay.
android.googlesource - Link
AA gave me a few problems but, I was able to work around them.
Installing Google Maps for example.
AA started the Maps install then failed saying the install failed even though Maps installed correctly.
I had to wipe data/cache on AA and start AA again.​
I ended up having to wipe data/cache of AA every time it had an issue.
In the end, I got it working.

AA had an odd glitch on my Nexus 7 [2013] (LTE/Mobile).
Unofficial Linage 19.1 | arm-12L-pico-20220507​
The head unit display was fine.

The lower right corner of the screen on the device was odd.
Glitchy like something was trying to show over the bottom corner but could not. :unsure:

No display issues on my Pixel 5a.
Official Lineage 19.1 | arm64-12L-nano-20220507​
Just a little trouble with the initial install.
See my comment above.

--

A big Thank You (y) to all that have tested and helped me out with 12L test builds. :D
We are getting closer to a stable 12L build. 🙃

PS.
OpenGApps - [GitHub] - PR # 959
OpenGApps - [GitHub] - PR # 960

Last edited:

josephcsible

Nov 3, 2016
I can confirm that as of the 20220507 build, stock now boots successfully with no workaround needed. Unfortunately, the Pixel Launcher still doesn't work:
Code:
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: UiThreadHelper
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher, PID: 11995
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: No interface method startRecentsActivity(Landroid/content/Intent;Landroid/app/IAssistDataReceiver;Landroid/view/IRecentsAnimationRunner;)V in class Landroid/app/IActivityTaskManager; or its super classes (declaration of 'android.app.IActivityTaskManager' appears in /system/framework/framework.jar)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at com.android.systemui.shared.system.ActivityManagerWrapper.startRecentsActivity(SourceFile:3)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at c.a.b.j1.run(SourceFile:2)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:201)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:288)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:67)
Similar to the error I got with Pixel Launcher in the last build, the problem is that as of AOSP commit 613ba2d, IActivityTaskManager.startRecentsActivity now takes a long as its second parameter instead of an IAssistDataReceiver, which once again points to the problem being that we need to use a version of the Pixel Launcher that was built for Android 12.

josephcsible

Nov 3, 2016
I got Pixel Launcher working! Here's what I did (on a Moto X4 "payton" running the official 20220510 build of LineageOS 19.1):
  1. Install open_gapps-arm64-12L-stock-20220507-UNOFFICIAL_MOD.zip with no gapps-config file
  2. Delete /system_root/system/priv-app/NexusLauncherPrebuilt/
  3. Copy /etc/sysconfig/google-hiddenapi-package-whitelist.xml from the product partition of a stock Pixel 4a (5G) image to /system_root/system/product/etc/sysconfig/
  4. Copy /etc/permissions/privapp-permissions-google-se.xml from the system_ext partition of a stock Pixel 4a (5G) image to /system_root/system/system_ext/etc/permissions/
  5. Reboot into Android and then back into recovery
  6. Create the directory /system_root/system/system_ext/priv-app/NexusLauncherRelease/
  7. Copy /priv-app/NexusLauncherRelease/NexusLauncherRelease.apk from the system_ext partition of a stock Pixel 4a (5G) image to /system_root/system/system_ext/priv-app/NexusLauncherRelease/
I think some of that might have been unnecessary, but at least now we know something that works.

master373

Feb 1, 2022
I can confirm that as of the 20220507 build, stock now boots successfully with no workaround needed. Unfortunately, the Pixel Launcher still doesn't work:
Code:
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: UiThreadHelper
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher, PID: 11995
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: No interface method startRecentsActivity(Landroid/content/Intent;Landroid/app/IAssistDataReceiver;Landroid/view/IRecentsAnimationRunner;)V in class Landroid/app/IActivityTaskManager; or its super classes (declaration of 'android.app.IActivityTaskManager' appears in /system/framework/framework.jar)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at com.android.systemui.shared.system.ActivityManagerWrapper.startRecentsActivity(SourceFile:3)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at c.a.b.j1.run(SourceFile:2)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:201)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:288)
05-11 02:00:33.046 11995 12015 E AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:67)
Similar to the error I got with Pixel Launcher in the last build, the problem is that as of AOSP commit 613ba2d, IActivityTaskManager.startRecentsActivity now takes a long as its second parameter instead of an IAssistDataReceiver, which once again points to the problem being that we need to use a version of the Pixel Launcher that was built for Android 12.
i can confirm that pixellauncher is not working. The setup wizard didnt installed too idk why. Im using unofficial lineage 19.1 build for s7 with open_gapps-arm64-12L-stock-20220507-UNOFFICIAL_MOD.zip

Last edited:
i can confirm that pixellauncher is not working. The setup wizard didnt installed too idk why. Im using unofficial lineage build for s7

Thanks for the report but could you please edit your post & add the LineageOS version (18.1, 19?, etc) and the full name of the Open GApps file you flashed?

I tried to PM you but your XDA profile is blocked.

Reactions: master373
Open GApps 11 ARM + LineageOS 18.1 = Bootloop!

@Nezorflame - FYI two official LineageOS 18.1 users with ARM devices reported a bootloop with Open GApps but success with MindTheGApps:

Google Nexus 6 (shamu) & open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20220503.zip here on Reddit.

Galaxy Note 3 LTE & open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico on XDA here.

josephcsible

Nov 3, 2016
I got Pixel Launcher working! Here's what I did (on a Moto X4 "payton" running the official 20220510 build of LineageOS 19.1):
  1. Install open_gapps-arm64-12L-stock-20220507-UNOFFICIAL_MOD.zip with no gapps-config file
  2. Delete /system_root/system/priv-app/NexusLauncherPrebuilt/
  3. Copy /etc/sysconfig/google-hiddenapi-package-whitelist.xml from the product partition of a stock Pixel 4a (5G) image to /system_root/system/product/etc/sysconfig/
  4. Copy /etc/permissions/privapp-permissions-google-se.xml from the system_ext partition of a stock Pixel 4a (5G) image to /system_root/system/system_ext/etc/permissions/
  5. Reboot into Android and then back into recovery
  6. Create the directory /system_root/system/system_ext/priv-app/NexusLauncherRelease/
  7. Copy /priv-app/NexusLauncherRelease/NexusLauncherRelease.apk from the system_ext partition of a stock Pixel 4a (5G) image to /system_root/system/system_ext/priv-app/NexusLauncherRelease/
I think some of that might have been unnecessary, but at least now we know something that works.
I just dirty flashed a OnePlus 6T "fajita" from LineageOS 18.1 to 19.1. I did this same procedure again, but this time I skipped my step 5 "Reboot into Android and then back into recovery", and Pixel Launcher still worked afterwards (and even kept its data). Also, it's okay if you have a gapps-config for other things; just don't disable ActionsServices or PixelLauncher in it.

kutiz21

Apr 15, 2016
Hi. I'm having this bootloop bug as well.
I'm using fortuna3g (Samsung SM-G530H) with Lineage 18.1. UNOFFICIAL BUILD.
With the build open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20220215.
It was installed correctly and successfully.

I can't provide to any debugging logs here because it starts bootlooping whenever the boot logo showing up. Not even boot animation.

Other GMS installer like BitGapps works with my ROM.

I also try experimenting myself by manually installing GMS myself on the ROM without any installer zip and it was also giving me bootloops after first boot complete.

If you let the phone turn off or reboot completely. It won't bootloop.

Or whenever I INCORRECTLY TURNING OFF THE PHONE (Commanding `reboot` on terminal) OR REMOVING BATTERY, having the OpenGapps or my DIY gapps installed will making the phone bootlooping until I format /data.

Formatting/Clearing cache or ART cache won't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: curiousrom

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
@josephcsible, thank you for pointing me here from pull request: 959!

Just a question, can I build that pull request and use it, or can I just rely on ipdev's build here? I mean I can really build it, but I just want to hear the recommended way.
OpenGApps - [GitHub] - PR # 959
Is the normal additions to the build script(s) for another Android level.

Save for the cheesy work-a-round to the installer script. ;)
Display 12L instead of 12 for SDK32 when someone is installing the wrong version.

For Android 12.x and my rom is 12. What the ??
Code:
*** Incompatible Android ROM detected ***

This GApps pkg is for Android 12.x ONLY
Please download the correct version for
your ROM: 12 (SDK 32)
******* GApps Installation failed *******
Less confusing. :unsure:
Code:
*** Incompatible Android ROM detected ***

This GApps pkg is for Android 12 ONLY
Please download the correct version for
your ROM: 12L (SDK 32)
******* GApps Installation failed *******

---

You will also need the AA fix for 12/12L builds.
OpenGApps - [GitHub] - PR # 960
Includes a link to the overlay.

You will need to update your sources manually until 12 support is official added.

I gave links to my current build branch and local source changes in Post # 7,319.
I will push a few more permission updates later today after running a new test build. ;)

Feel free to build. :)

Cheers. :cowboy:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Questions? Use Q&A!
    Please read the FAQ before reporting any bugs or errors!
    If you post in the main thread not having read the FAQ or error message itself, not included a debug log when reporting a malfuction or reporting a Force Closure without a logcat, your post will be ignored by the developers!
    Not because we are evil, but because the same questions keep popping up over and over again and too often we get a "X doesn't work, plz fix" without any clue what is happening. We don't have telepathic connection to your device and all the time unnecessarily wasted on this can't be spend on development of Open GApps itself.

The Latest builds of Open GApps for Android can easily be downloaded from the:

I work on this project for FREE and putting in a lot of hours into it. While not mandatory, donations encourage me to continue to further pursue this project and I'd deeply appreciate them, if you feel generous.
    Donate to The Open GApps Project

Are you a ROM developer and want to hotlink to the latest Open GApps package? Then check this wiki entry for details.
    Please don't publicly mirror the prebuilt packages without explicit consent of @MastahF, to ensure that users will always be directed to the very latest version and the source code of the project.

About The Open GApps Project
    Open GApps is a Google Apps package completely developed by writing buildscripts which allow for the automated creation of new up-to-date packages automatically.
    The development process is completely open-source (GPLv3) and the goal is to have multiple contributors involved, to secure and reinforce the sustainability of Open GApps development.
    Builds are generated every (European) night automatically (if there are any changes) and uploaded to GitHub.

Official AROMA Open GApps package is developed in collaboration with long-time LP-AROMA-developer @raulx222 and has a dedicated XDA thread
    For any questions about the AROMA installer development, please refer to that thread. Of course, general support questions can also be asked in our own Q&A thread.

Official Open GApps For Stock support is developed in collaboration with @Rapper_skull and has a dedicated XDA thread
    For any questions about the GApps for Stock development, please refer to that thread. Of course, general support questions can also be asked in our own Q&A thread.

The x86 package branch of the package is focused on Zenfone support and is maintained by @deadman96385 of the famous Zenfone GApps packages and has its own topic for x86 related questions

For those that cook their own ROM, an AOSP-build mechanism for Open GApps has been developed by @blystad and can be found at GitHub, remember that you should not bundle any pre-packaged Google Apps with any ROMs you want to distribute further though.

To gather all the various APKs that are necessary for the packages our master of the APK Universe @MNBooZe has written a tool called APKCrawler that scrape these from the internet, e.g. from APKMirror, it can be found at GitHub too.

Characteristic of Open GApps:

• Some highlights about the characteristics of the Open GApps packages:
    • All platforms and and all Android versions are supported
    • DPI-optimized support for all Google packages (unlike other GApps)
    • Frequently updated Google Apps: The pre-built OpenGApps.org packages are updated every (European) night (if there are any updated Google Apps available)
    • Strong compression, allowing for relatively small downloads of even the most complete packages
    • Automatic backup: It is not necessary to re-flash Google Apps when you flash a ROM update. Most ROMs support this (addon.d) function
    • The installer checks your device’s capabilities, like the system partition size. It will notify you, before making any changes, if it finds any problems
    • Several package variations, from a Google Super Package (includes all applications that ever shipped on a Google device), to a Stock package that equals the set of applications found on the most current and complete Nexus, to smaller, minimalist packages and an AROMA package that allows graphically selection of what to install
    • A special ‘for Stock ROM’ installation mode that allows to update the Google Apps on Stock ROMs that conform to the original Google Nexus filesystem structure
    • All package installations can be customized to your individual preferences using our Advanced Features and Options

The idea behind this project:
    I believe a big source of the problem for many GApps packages to stay up-to-date (or not be forfeited) is the lack of time for developers to do labour-intensive repetive every time a new google-app apk is released.
    That is why I have taken it upto myself to write some Linux shell scripts to automate the packaging and to share these efforts with the world with the goal to create a team to continue this package together under the name Open GApps.

This project should not be managed by a person, but by a team, so volunteers willing to help are more than welcome!

Open GApps installer uses open source third-party tools, like busybox and xzdec, compiled by @YashdSaraf; See his busybox thread for more info.
    Open GApps is originally based on the now discontinued PA GApps package of @TKruzze and @osm0sis
    Is it possible to get a test version of the arm version aswell?
    I run arm/arm64 builds of pico, nano and stock for testing.

Once they are tested a bit and seem stable, I upload them to MediaFire.
    MediaFire - Link

Android 12 builds are in the SDK31 folder.
    The 20211218 builds include some permission updates.​

---

Last week I ran SDK32 builds to test on LineageOS.
    LineageOS is merging 12.1.0_r1 into the 19.0 branch instead of creating a 19.1 branch.
    LineageOS Gerrit - Topic 12L - Link
    Edit: I just checked and see they decided to bump up to 19.1 a few days ago.​

Note:
    Now that Android 12L is official, the release props still show as 12 not 12.1 or 12L.
    The build tag was bumped to 12.1.0 and the boot image is now SDK32 but, the kernel version is still showing as 12.0.0
    The boot image was SDK31 on the 12L preview release.​

The only way to determine if you are running 12 or 12L is by checking the SDK level.
    SDK31 = Android 12
    SDK32 = Android 12L

The initial 12L OpenGApps test builds were blind builds and untested.
    I did not have a device/rom to test them on. 🙃

I few days later I was able to test them on a Pixel C, Lineage 19.0 SDK32 build.
    Since it is a tablet, it utilized the large screen layout of SDK32.​

The 12L pico and nano builds seem to be safe.

The 12L stock build had issues with Pixel launcher so, I would suggest not using it for now.
    Unless you are using a gapps config script to customize the install.

Android 12L (SDK32) test builds are currently on gDrive.
    gDrive - Link

Everyone is welcome to give them a try.

Edit:
    See additional posts.
    Post # 7,316
    Post # 7,319
    Tomorrow there will be 7.0 builds
    Small update concerning Nougat: everything is almost in place, only HotWord Enrollment is not de-odexable yet.
    So tomorrow there will be 7.0 builds, ready for when the first source and custom ROMs will drop.
    Of course beta-quality because they cannot be tested yet, so be careful.
    There are some minor changes, Google changed their keyboard stuff, so there will be no swypelibs possible anymore.
    Google VR Services is backported to all Android versions (so all the way from 4.4 to 6.0) but ofc not yet known how well it will work.
    Also there are some new 7.0 core apps for Google's Shared Android Services (com.google.android.ext.shared; com.google.android.ext.services)
    Trusted Face's unlock has also some major changes, it seems the pittpatt suff is not necessary anymore for 7.0.

That's it for now
    For those who hadn't spotted it yet: we can celebrate 1 year of Open GApps :)
    http://opengapps.org/blog/post/2016/05/09/open-gapps-first-anniversary/
    Sorry to drop in but needed to clean up some unnecessary posts that were burying more legitimate posts to the thread.

Going into someone's thread and demanding they make you something is not only just plain rude, it goes against everything XDA is about. Numerous people suggested a way for you to remove the gapps and you chose to ignore them. The dev isn't going to make an uninstaller just for you. You could also always use root explorer and remove the apps that way too. Anywho, there won't be an uninstaller made so no need to continue this conversation.

Thread Cleaned