• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General gboard (Google Keyboard & voice to text)

Search This thread

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
I was able to install gboard on the GW4, set it as the default keyboard, and now have access to a REAL keyboard and with a real voice to text! (I can't believe Samsung's crappy keyboard is still T9). The only problem is that after a while, using the mic will result in "Initializing..." forever. With trial and error, the only thing that fixes it is reinstalling it and/or rebooting the phone. Haven't had enough use yet to know which it is (have had the watch only 2 days so far).

Anyone else install gboard and having success with it being reliable for voice-to-text?

CrazyCypher

Oct 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hello, I would love to have gboard but for now there is no possibility to have qwertz, correct? Also, why is there not the same amount of languages available? I have qwertz+Slovenian on my phone but I cant have it no the watch... or am I missing something?

Danny17va

Jan 24, 2015
Hello, I would love to have gboard but for now there is no possibility to have qwertz, correct? Also, why is there not the same amount of languages available? I have qwertz+Slovenian on my phone but I cant have it no the watch... or am I missing something?
You're missing something. There is qwerty keyboard with Gboard and also at least two languages, same as phone, press and hold space bar to change it.
This changes input voice language ass well

ernani

Nov 23, 2006
I'm afraid that gboard for wear is missing a lot of languages. Greek for instance. I installed the keyboard, set it as primary but cannot install Greek language support. In my phone I have Greek as a second input language.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
The only problem is that after a while, using the mic will result in "Initializing..." forever. With trial and error, the only thing that fixes it is reinstalling it and/or rebooting the phone. Haven't had enough use yet to know which it is (have had the watch only 2 days so far).
Today it did it again. Tried to use gboard mic and "Initializing..." forever. I checked Bixby mic and that didn't work either. This time I woke the phone (Samsung A52 5G) to look to make sure it was paired, it was, then the watch suddenly worked with gboard mic again. The mystery continues...

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
I have the same problem. initialization .... the microphone does not work after a while I have not found a solution
Well, at least I am not alone. :) Thanks for posting.

There are often pauses with "inititalization..." that only last a few seconds and then it works. That is annoying, but not the problem I am complaining about. It is when it says "initialization..." forever and no amount of waiting helps.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
And this morning it is doing it again. The gboard works with typing. Bixby works with voice. Everything else seems to be working. But if I try the mic in gboard, it is "initializing..." forever again.
  • Tried turning off bluetooth on watch, waited a moment and turned it back on (full reboot). No change.
  • Used Galaxy Wearable and disconnected from watch (by selecting old S3), then reconnected to the 4. No change.
  • Turned off watch, then back on. No change.
  • Attempted to "kill" Galaxy Wearable on phone, didn't seem to die, perhaps it restarts immediately. Anyway, no change, still stuck.
  • Restarted phone (A52 G5), using soft reboot option. No change.
  • Powered off phone, waited a moment, powered it back on. No change.
  • Went into Store> My apps on the watch and uninstalled gboard, then installed it again (12MB). Then changed the default KB back to gboard. Then it worked again.
So nothing I tried this time helps, except to completely re-install gboard. Crazy. Anyone have any other suggestion to try when it gets "stuck" again (and it probably won't take long for that to happen)?

I would be OK with using Samsung keyboard with its Bixby voice to text (although it is less accurate), except there are times I want to physically type, and that KB doesn't have a qwerty keyboard, making it useless! So I can either use Samsung and have voice but no typing, or gboard and have typing but ususally no voice. So very frustrating.

Reactions: jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
And this morning it is doing it again. The gboard works with typing. Bixby works with voice. Everything else seems to be working. But if I try the mic in gboard, it is "initializing..." forever again.
  • Tried turning off bluetooth on watch, waited a moment and turned it back on (full reboot). No change.
  • Used Galaxy Wearable and disconnected from watch (by selecting old S3), then reconnected to the 4. No change.
  • Attempted to "kill" Galaxy Wearable on phone, didn't seem to die, perhaps it restarts immediately. Anyway, no change, still stuck.
  • Went into Store> My apps on the watch and uninstalled gboard, then installed it again (12MB). Then changed the default KB back to gboard. Then it worked again.
So nothing I tried this time helps, except to completely re-install gboard. Crazy. Anyone have any other suggestion to try when it gets "stuck" again (and it probably won't take long for that to happen)?

I would be OK with using Samsung keyboard with its Bixby voice to text (although it is less accurate), except there are times I want to physically type, and that KB doesn't have a qwerty keyboard, making it useless! So I can either use Samsung and have voice but no typing, or gboard and have typing but ususally no voice. So very frustrating.
Not gonna lie, I find it mildly infuriating that some Google apps (GBoard, Keep) would not work properly with Google's own OS (unless of course Samsung's skin has something to do with it).

Zeromph

Feb 17, 2012
Orlando

I have the same issue and used to uninstall/reinstall Gboard to fix it. While the problem isn't solved, on Reddit, i found what i think is a better way to restore voice typing whenever you lose it:

On the watch, go to Settings -> Privacy -> Permission Manager -> Microphone -> Gboard -> choose "Ask every time".

Then trigger Gboard by composing a message in a relevant app (i.e., Messages etc). Click on the voice typing icon. You should get -- "Allow Gboard to record audio?" -> pick "While using the app"

This should fix the issue, at least temporarily.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
I have the same issue and used to uninstall/reinstall Gboard to fix it. While the problem isn't solved, on Reddit, i found what i think is a better way to restore voice typing whenever you lose it:

On the watch, go to Settings -> Privacy -> Permission Manager -> Microphone -> Gboard -> choose "Ask every time".

Then trigger Gboard by composing a message in a relevant app (i.e., Messages etc). Click on the voice typing icon. You should get -- "Allow Gboard to record audio?" -> pick "While using the app"

Thanks, I just tried that and it works. Interesting. It isn't an easy work-around, but it is easier than reinstalling gboard each time. I wonder if it would work better to just answer "ask each time" when it asks for permission? I will try that approach the next time it gets stuck (which won't take long).

Zeromph

Feb 17, 2012
Orlando
Thanks, I just tried that and it works. Interesting. It isn't an easy work-around, but it is easier than reinstalling gboard each time. I wonder if it would work better to just answer "ask each time" when it asks for permission? I will try that approach the next time it gets stuck (which won't take long).
You're welcome. For what it's worth, the problem only reoccurs for me whenever the watch is restarted (including restarts caused by updates). If i don't restart the watch, then i don't lose voice-to-text. As soon as i preform a restart, it stops working and i need to do the work-around again, which lasts until the next restart.

Reactions: crxssi and jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa

This is great, I wonder if there is some sort of similar fix for the endless syncing of Google Keep? Also, if users can find workarounds like this, why the heck haven't Samsung and Google fixed the issue?? 🤬

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
You're welcome. For what it's worth, the problem only reoccurs for me whenever the watch is restarted (including restarts caused by updates). If i don't restart the watch, then i don't lose voice-to-text. As soon as i preform a restart, it stops working and i need to do the work-around again, which lasts until the next restart.
I can't confirm that here. I am pretty sure I have not restarted the watch since the last time the mic was working and when it stopped working. I will pay more attention to that and report back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is great, I wonder if there is some sort of similar fix for the endless syncing of Google Keep? Also, if users can find workarounds like this, why the heck haven't Samsung and Google fixed the issue?? 🤬
    Google Keep syncing -- i've been searching for the last few weeks for a fix, but haven't found one yet. I've uninstalled Keep from my watch out of frustration. I have found several posts on Reddit that indicate the Keep issue has been a problem for a long time on older Wear OS watches (not just the Watch 4). Seems like Google isn't prioritizing this for some reason.....

I'll share if i find a fix or work-around.
    Now that I have had more time to observe this, I can confirm what you said is correct. After a restart, it stops working. Then go into permissions manager, change mic permissions to every time for gboard, then go into gboard with voice and allow it always when using app, that will hold until the next restart/reboot.