• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Gboard intermittent freeze

Search This thread

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
Does anyone else have this issue where you are swiping and it will suddenly freeze and you have to wait for it to unfreeze, maybe Gboard needs updating for Android 12
Not specifically Gboard, but quite literally only just today I've been getting some little lags on my Pixel 6 Pro and experience the same freeze on SwiftKey.

Running Kirisakura and all has been well with no new apps installed recently, but indeed today been getting some weird brief lags....

Unsure what the cause could be, but thought I'd share my experience nonetheless

xSDMx

Nov 28, 2009
I had a ton of Android 12 issues that were tangentially related to Gboard: minimize arrow persisting even when the keyboard wasn't visible, mysterious System UI ANRs after using the keyboard, etc. At some point I had opted in to the Gboard beta and opting out to the production release build fixed all of my issues.

Reactions: Shipoftheline

gmfeld

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
I've been having intermittent issues with both Gboard and Swiftkey. There's been a few times when the keyboard doesn't display when I'm trying to message or send an email. I have to restart the phone. A bit of a pain in the butt. BTW, I have not received the December update.

Reactions: darbylonia

Shipoftheline

Oct 6, 2015
Salford
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I had a ton of Android 12 issues that were tangentially related to Gboard: minimize arrow persisting even when the keyboard wasn't visible, mysterious System UI ANRs after using the keyboard, etc. At some point I had opted in to the Gboard beta and opting out to the production release build fixed all of my issues.
Trying the beta version now to see if that fixes it

MacLaughlin

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I do also encounter some lag when typing. Already contacted google support about it. You can either wipe your phone, if the problem isn't gone you are able to send it in for warranty.
I assume it is a software problem, so I won't do anything for now.
But glad to see there are more people who have the same problem.

Shipoftheline

Oct 6, 2015
Salford
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I do also encounter some lag when typing. Already contacted google support about it. You can either wipe your phone, if the problem isn't gone you are able to send it in for warranty.
I assume it is a software problem, so I won't do anything for now.
But glad to see there are more people who have the same problem.
As you worked out seems pointless wiping the phone when its most likely a software issue, the Gboard beta is so far ok for me

MacLaughlin

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've switched from beta to stable 😉
I do also encounter lagging when browsing in chrome or switching between recent apps. Not a huge deal breaker, but it should be fixed

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
Reactions: Shipoftheline

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
I wonder if this is the cause of some entire screen lock-ups for some of us until we turn the screen off and back on?

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
I had one where the screen was 100% locked, couldn't turn the screen off or the phone itself for 5 minutes................no way of a hard reset etc so I was worried about screen burn, lucky it reset itself after 5 minutes
Damn, that's pretty bad and I haven't experienced a lock-up of that level. Have you experienced the lesser lock-ups as well? The one that I described in addition to your five minute lock-up?

Shipoftheline

Oct 6, 2015
Salford
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If it is the Accessibility Services issue plaguing others, it's pretty crazy how extreme the issue is for some. Vs the small delays/hithces that I've read, the majority are suffering. Hopefully Google fixes this soon as I don't want to play device lottery with a refurb.
The only real Accessibility setting I used was dark mode either way this has been going on since October so I'm going to try this new patch from (Jan) Google but if it hasn't fixed it I'm gone and will never buy a Google device again, I found not being able to swipe text etc without freezing for all this time is just pushed me to far now

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
The only real Accessibility setting I used was dark mode either way this has been going on since October so I'm going to try this new patch from (Jan) Google but if it hasn't fixed it I'm gone and will never buy a Google device again, I found not being able to swipe text etc without freezing for all this time is just pushed me to far now
I just had it happen once on a fresh install of the Jan build when I was scrolling through Discord. Haven't updated the apps yet so that could of been why. I also ran the Pixel repair tool and I'll see if it happens again. It is pretty annoying when it happens and having to stop what you're doing to turn the screen off and on again. Don't really want to deal with Google during a time where their support is non-existent and end up getting a scratched up, dinged up refurb replacement. That or get a replacement and the same crap happens.

Top Liked Posts