• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[GCam] Camera PX for Google Pixel 1 / 2 / 3 / 3a / 4

Abhishek 813

Oct 25, 2019
@cstark27 is it possible to add a fixed value brightness meter in the next camera px app as i found alot of the pictures to be slightly under-exposed/dim as what it should be and it will be easier to set a value for all the photos as opposed to manually increasing it Everytime. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

D-m-x

Apr 28, 2011
Germany
I'm wondering, just anyone have a general recommendation of the HDR+ Setting(s) on the P4XL? I find it a bit confusing as Google has removed the option to choose between HDR+ and HDR+ Enhanced. As the PX Mod brings it back there are more options to choose from, however enabling HDR+ Enhanced still leaves you with the Manuel Exposure Controls. So whats the difference in quality etc? Which produces better results in which scenarios, e.g. when to use what?

quark-lepton

Dec 13, 2015
I'm wondering, just anyone have a general recommendation of the HDR+ Setting(s) on the P4XL? I find it a bit confusing as Google has removed the option to choose between HDR+ and HDR+ Enhanced. As the PX Mod brings it back there are more options to choose from, however enabling HDR+ Enhanced still leaves you with the Manuel Exposure Controls. So whats the difference in quality etc? Which produces better results in which scenarios, e.g. when to use what?
My experience with the Pixel 3a:
In low-light conditions HDR+ enhanced uses a longer exposure time (up to 1/5s) whereas the default zero shutter lag HDR+ chooses 1/17s (or 1/8s when you hold the phone steady). When you use exposure compensation for bright low light photos, HDR+ enhanced gives you nearly the same results as Night Sight, but it's faster than Night Sight and leads to fewer blurry photos than Night Sight. I would use Night Sight only in extreme darkness.
In average light conditions HDR+ enhanced software zoom works worse than the ZSL HDR+ zoom, though I think you get less machine learning zoom and fewer artificial artifacts, so it can be also an advantage.
I think that HDR+ enhanced slightly reduces the risk for getting blurry photos. In average light conditions it occasionally chooses a slightly shorter exposure time. I have the assumption that HDR+ enhanced chooses a frame that is sharp whereas ZSL HDR+ might just choose the frame that happened in the moment you pressed the shutter. HDR+ enhanced seems to be basically the HDR+ On mode of the Google Nexus 5x/6p, which was also used to replace OIS.

Last edited:

KECI3

Mar 10, 2020
Thanks for this Great MOD ! Appreciate the hard work on this one !
I got smth to say. Why not adding an option to Save all portrait shots in DCIM/Camera instead of making separate folders for each photo it's quite disturbing.
Can't wait to get a response on this issue.

Regards;

Reactions: Nothex

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Very good question! I'd love to have a guide that explains all of the possible settings and what they do, and any recommended settings.
for settings have a look here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81342665&postcount=2234

Sabre merge method
Sabre is a merge method created by Google that improves photo quality on some modes. Some call it "super resolution" because of the sharpness/detail improvements. It's used by Google for Night Sight, but some GCam mods also use it for zoomed photos and HDR+ Enhanced. Works with the RAW10 format (other RAW formats may result in black photos).

DCI-P3
Some versions come with a DCI-P3 option. On phones with displays that support DCI-P3, it should result in photos with more vibrant colours.
To learn more about this colour space, check the wikipedia page about DCI-P3.

ZSL = zero shooting lag
means you won't get camera freeze after taking a HDR+ auto shoot. It is build-in the Google Camera 4.2 and only works on Pixel phones.

I started to collect information about the settings but as you see it's still on going ... but will be continued by time.
to all: more input from members appreciated so we maybe end up with a full description of what you can do and what is the benefit of it

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone