[GCam] Camera PX for Google Pixel 1 / 2 / 3 / 3a / 4

nasko7

Dec 12, 2017
Glasgow
Works really well on my Pixel 1 XL (downloaded the file called "cstark's PXv4.5: PXv4.5_GoogleCamera_7.2.014.apk (cstark27, 2020-09-04, pixel)" from here) and I am extremely grateful of the Motion Photos feature being added to the OG Pixel. I have tried playing HEVC videos that I have shot on my iPhone 12 Pro Max but I had a bit of trouble playing longer videos. This means that the "Store Videos Efficiently" feature in the in-app Settings may not work really well, but I think it's a great addition.

I am commenting this because I am having trouble with newer versions of the app showing 1x and 2x zoom buttons and the display glitches when I zoom in or out. But this version works flawlessly so far.

Thank you!

dallas87

Jan 20, 2021
Pixel 5 latest camera PXv8.1_GCam-v1.1 .apk it closing itself right after I open it.
Tried other versions and same result
Any advice please?

LE: is it there a way to have some logs and send them as probably it will help investigating?

Last edited:

cstark27

Jul 2, 2010
Reporting the bug.

Which Google Pixel?
A: Pixel 2 XL
Android version:
A: 11, LineageOS 18.1 by Eamo5

What is the issue?
A: Can not open the app, will FC after open the app.
How are you able to reproduce it?
A: Just open the app and FC.

Have you cleared the app data and left the settings alone?
A: YES
Does the issue still happen?
A: YES
Does the issue happen with a certain setting enabled or disabled?
A: Not quite sure.

What Magisk Modules are installed?
A: Magisk is not installed
Do any of them promise to enable certain features of newer Pixels or other phones?
A: NO
Have you disabled all extra Magisk Modules, temporarily, and rebooted to see if your problem is solved?
A: Magisk is not installed

Not able to upload the file, so there's the pastebin url: https://pastebin.com/Qy4pgJSs
Fixed in next version (see next post).

can anyone explain Shasta?
Through some testing, we found that it reduces noise in shadow areas in high contrast areas. However, it creates gradient-like bands in some scenarios in Night Sight mode.

@cstark27 will light painting make a return?
Tried but some functions were removed from newest Google Camera and the function could not easily be ported back so far.

@cstark27
Thanks a lot for this new version.

One thing I was looking forward to was using higher zoom levels on my Pixel 2xl.
However, I noticed that even if I set max zoom to 16x, 32x, or 50x, the final photo zooms in only to 7x.
Please have a look if you find time.
Some Pixels have restrictions on Android 11 libs that cause this.

this report is for version v1.1 of the newest variance, 8.1.008.

Which Google Pixel? Pixel 5
Android version: 11

What is the issue?
astrophotography comes on automatically on nightsight mode regardless of the force button being pressed. should it not be a manual choice? as soon as my tripod steadies, astro flips on, even tho the force astro button is off.

How are you able to reproduce it?
by attempting it multiple times

Have you cleared the app data and left the settings alone? yes
Does the issue still happen? yes
Does the issue happen with a certain setting enabled or disabled? no

What Magisk Modules are installed? none
Do any of them promise to enable certain features of newer Pixels or other phones? N/A
Have you disabled all extra Magisk Modules, temporarily, and rebooted to see if your problem is solved? N/A
We removed the option to turn Astro off completely (we couldn't understand why it was an option to begin with). Why do you want to turn it off? The button on the lower right toggles Automatic Astro (based on device stability and light), or Forced Astro (forces it on even handheld).

PXv4.5_GoogleCamera_7.2.014 had option to turn on 16 Mp camera in settings for pixel 4/xl. How about the latest 8.1-v1.1 build
Tried but haven't been successful with the new code on the new base.

Not sure why but both version PXv8.1_GCam-v1.1.apk and PXv8.1_GCam-v1.0.apk crashes immediately after opening the camera px app.
Does this not support Google pixel (sailfish)?

Phone: Google Pixel (sailfish)
Android version : 10
ROM : Stock
Apk : PXv8.1_GCam-v1.1.apk
Video of crash : video link
logcat
Steps to reproduce :
Open the Camera PX app. Stay there for 2-3 seconds then the app crashses
@Urnyx05 @cstark27
I'll check some things. I think it's related to face detect/Face Retouching mode.

Latest apk PX8.1 working good here on my pixel 2xl running Proton custom rom. I was previously on LOS 18 custom rom(unofficia) and the app would crash. Maybe the crashes are happening due to the roms not supporting the app?
LineageOS crash should be fixed on next version in next post.

@Cstark can you please bring back the lib patcher to the camera px 8.1
It's a work in progress.

Also fixed the link for Pixel_GCam_SEPolicy_v2.zip

cstark27

Jul 2, 2010
PXv8.1.2

An update from @johngalt1, @Urnyx05 and myself.

dallas87

Jan 20, 2021
PXv8.1.2

An update from @johngalt1, @Urnyx05 and myself.

This still doesn't work for me on P5 Lineageos rom :(
It crashes right after I open it

cstark27

Jul 2, 2010
Gladly but I don't know how to access the logs (if are saved somewhere, otherwise I don't know how to log)

Instructions at the bottom of that post.

Reactions: dallas87