GCam for Poco X3

Search This thread

gia2efarmoges

Mar 28, 2017
The RAW files that the app is produces are too small and very bad quality...
Gcam 7.3.018... Urnyx05

Last edited:

Fustang

Nov 8, 2013

Is it just me or night sight doesn't work on ultra wide, also i think that 48 HDR + frames is overkill, 24 is good enough and saves space.

Picard20

Aug 13, 2006
After experimenting with surferbyter's xml and asus lib mod of nikitia gcam, and stock nikita and ulryx gcam, I can with certainty say the stock gcams provide more realistic pictures, both front and selfie.

Surfers mods introduce just too much post processing into the image, to the point that when you zoom in, for example picture of distant cars, they look almost like cartoons, and not like real cars. Anyone who doubts my words, just try a selfie with that mod, vs any working stock gcam, and you will see what I mean. Even with Face Retouching set to Natural, thats just waay tooo much post processing and sharpening going on, to the point that pics look very unnatural.

Here is a picture taken from a surfers asus lib and xml mod:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9kEHKZjs4ASTLQMW7

Same view, but with stock Nikita 7.4 v1.7 :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JzBDhwbc4aaTKhZy8

Zoom in on the cars and you will see what I mean. Also, look at the unnatural detail of the trees and grass.

I want to know everyones opinion about this. Which picture do you prefer?

Last edited:

Aburel18

Jun 20, 2009
London
Did someone found a version of gcam what is fully working ? I tried like 8 of them , I can't make movie with the front camera

yanikan

Mar 23, 2017
@Picard20.Absolutely agree with your post.Every vesrion of NGcam for Poco X3 i have tried suffer from too much processing and when you zoom in picture look like comics image.I switched to Urnyx vesrion and accualy Urnyx v 2.2 is better than his latest v2.3 the only downside of Urnyx is there is no good optimized xml configs

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

[/COLOR @Picard20 What xml you are using with Nikita 7.4 v1.7? Could you provide link please?

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

[/COLOR @Picard20 What xml you are using with Nikita 7.4 v1.7? Could you provide link please?

Picard20

Aug 13, 2006
@Picard20.Absolutely agree with your post.Every vesrion of NGcam for Poco X3 i have tried suffer from too much processing and when you zoom in picture look like comics image.I switched to Urnyx vesrion and accualy Urnyx v 2.2 is better than his latest v2.3 the only downside of Urnyx is there is no good optimized xml configs

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Dont use any xml whatsoever. What you saw above was stock Nikita Gcam. Urnyx produces very similar results, although I'll stick with NGcam and experiment more, as it has much more options to tinker with.

Will also try some xmls, namely Poco X2, as it has a sensor very similar to this one (imx 686, vs 682 on poco x3). Asus ROG 3 also uses the 686 and will also give it a try.
Ill experiment and see what I find works best.

Last edited:

surferbyter

Jul 11, 2007
New xml for nikita 1.7

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_102222_NGcam_7.4.v.1.7_AS4ULib_compress9.jpg
    IMG_20201015_102222_NGcam_7.4.v.1.7_AS4ULib_compress9.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_20201015_112058_NGcam_7.4.v.1.7_AS4ULib_compress87.jpg
    IMG_20201015_112058_NGcam_7.4.v.1.7_AS4ULib_compress87.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:

surferbyter

Jul 11, 2007
---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

After experimenting with surferbyter's xml and asus lib mod of nikitia gcam, and stock nikita and ulryx gcam, I can with certainty say the stock gcams provide more realistic pictures, both front and selfie.

Surfers mods introduce just too much post processing into the image, to the point that when you zoom in, for example picture of distant cars, they look almost like cartoons, and not like real cars. Anyone who doubts my words, just try a selfie with that mod, vs any working stock gcam, and you will see what I mean. Even with Face Retouching set to Natural, thats just waay tooo much post processing and sharpening going on, to the point that pics look very unnatural.

Here is a picture taken from a surfers asus lib and xml mod:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9kEHKZjs4ASTLQMW7

Same view, but with stock Nikita 7.4 v1.7 :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JzBDhwbc4aaTKhZy8

Zoom in on the cars and you will see what I mean. Also, look at the unnatural detail of the trees and grass.

I want to know everyones opinion about this. Which picture do you prefer?

It is a matter of choice and your visual taste ... Maybe many prefer XML because as soon as they open the photos they can take on their device they are amazed at the detail they give ... Of course you can opt for clean gcam ...

Besides ... Look at the compare below between the two photos posted by you ... Sara post processing but with that you read all the details and you don't see mixed stuff...

Who looks at my samples chooses to use my xml and obviously if he has no results he goes to something else. If he continues to use them there will be a reason

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-15-22-15-35-707_ch.want.imagecompare.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-15-22-15-35-707_ch.want.imagecompare.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 661
  • Screenshot_2020-10-15-22-15-57-486_ch.want.imagecompare.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-15-22-15-57-486_ch.want.imagecompare.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:

Picard20

Aug 13, 2006
---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

It is a matter of choice and your visual taste ... Maybe many prefer XML because as soon as they open the photos they can take on their device they are amazed at the detail they give ... Of course you can opt for clean gcam ...

Besides ... Look at the compare below between the two photos posted by you ... Sara post processing but with that you read all the details and you don't see mixed stuff...

Who looks at my samples chooses to use my xml and obviously if he has no results he goes to something else. If he continues to use them there will be a reason

I admit your xml brings up details in closer objects, but at the expense of mostly everything, especially objects far away, looking like they were painted, and foliage a combination of better detail and noise. It's even more obvious for front facing camera, as I can see every bump, dent, hair, pore and wrinkle on my face highlighted to such a degree, that I look nothing like myself, what my eyes can see in the mirror.
But as you pointed, if someone likes it, they will use it. Tastes can be like night and day.

As for me, I don't like the other side of spectrum either, the smoothness and beautification filters etc, I would just like a middle ground, something as close to reality as possible.

Also, ever considered lowering the HDR + Enhanced default frames ? 48 is waaay too much, especially for this chipset. 5-10 is plenty enough, with diminishing returns as you up that number. Yea I know, everyone can adjust that number themselves, but still. celsoazevedo recommends 7-12, as the quality to speed ratio flips at certain point, and the lack of OIS raises the chance photo will come out blurry as you wait almost 3 seconds for the 48 frames to capture.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just sharing my opinion. I appreciate you helping us and contributing your work.

That was stock NGcam, with pixel binning and Sabre off, and I don't think I even set the AWB to imx 686.
In your experience, does pixel binning option actually do anything ?

Also, on your xml the wide angle camera works, but there is no way I can enable it just with tinkering with the NGcam options alone, without any xml. Wondering if its even worth the trouble, as the distortion kinda ruins it, and there is no distortion correction option anywhere in any GCam as far as I know.

Last edited:

surferbyter

Jul 11, 2007
I admit your xml brings up details in closer objects, but at the expense of mostly everything, especially objects far away, looking like they were painted, and foliage a combination of better detail and noise. It's even more obvious for front facing camera, as I can see every bump, dent, hair, pore and wrinkle on my face highlighted to such a degree, that I look nothing like myself, what my eyes can see in the mirror.
But as you pointed, if someone likes it, they will use it. Tastes can be like night and day.

As for me, I don't like the other side of spectrum either, the smoothness and beautification filters etc, I would just like a middle ground, something as close to reality as possible.

Also, ever considered lowering the HDR + Enhanced default frames ? 48 is waaay too much, especially for this chipset. 5-10 is plenty enough, with diminishing returns as you up that number. Yea I know, everyone can adjust that number themselves, but still. celsoazevedo recommends 7-12, as the quality to speed ratio flips at certain point, and the lack of OIS raises the chance photo will come out blurry as you wait almost 3 seconds for the 48 frames to capture.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just sharing my opinion. I appreciate you helping us and contributing your work.

That was stock NGcam, with pixel binning and Sabre off, and I don't think I even set the AWB to imx 686.
In your experience, does pixel binning option actually do anything ?

Also, on your xml the wide angle camera works, but there is no way I can enable it just with tinkering with the NGcam options alone, without any xml. Wondering if its even worth the trouble, as the distortion kinda ruins it, and there is no distortion correction option anywhere in any GCam as far as I know.

The distant objects, even by lowering sharpness and various contrasts, will in any case come to the limit of distinguishability because they would be very battered. As for the frames dell'hdr + in truth the optimal measure would be in the 24 because it is the best compromise for quality and processing waiting times. But I don't aim for compromise because the compromise is already there, the stock camera that doesn't shoot badly. If you install a gcam you do it to try to get the most out of your sensors. P.S. 48 frames actually I'm not even sure if the ngcam reaches them, I set them to make sure they are all it can have, I think 36. For the settings of the auxiliary camera ids see the screenshots below.
Also for the wide ... If you want to use it, it is good only in landscapes and without architectures at the edges. If you want it without distortion for example to photograph a group of people in a narrow room better the stock in which they managed to add an excellent correction factor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-16-06-08-20-394_com.google.android.GoogleCameraEng.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-16-06-08-20-394_com.google.android.GoogleCameraEng.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot_2020-10-16-06-08-38-462_com.google.android.GoogleCameraEng.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-16-06-08-38-462_com.google.android.GoogleCameraEng.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot_2020-10-16-06-08-44-480_com.google.android.GoogleCameraEng.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-16-06-08-44-480_com.google.android.GoogleCameraEng.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, here goes what technically is the masterpiece of all GCams, the latest BSG's private version. First, if you have installed the premium MOD and you want to try this one, you don't need to uninstall anything; both are compatible and you can have the two BSGs installed. In this mod everything that I have tested works OK, even slow motion in HD. About the xmls, they can be loaded from any folder, although the apk uses its custom folder inside Downloads, so when it's created better move all the xmls inside that folder.

Download the apk from here:

UPDATE: added the zip BSG_ONE_PV4.zip. It contains the main xml and the lib Google 8.1.200.so. All the xmls work with both the default google lib and the modified, so you can try both of them or stay with the default; it's very easy to change libs: just go to the configuration and in the custom libray section you can load, change, restore default, etc libraries. I personally like more the modified one, I find better light and colors in the Google 8.1.200 lib.

NOTE: I've reuploaded BSG_ONE_PV4.zip as there was a problem with EIS that now it's solved and video stabilization works ok in the reworked BSG_ONE_PV4.xml.

UPDATE: Added 2 new xmls for you to experience: kalamazoo_PV4.xml & rainmaker_PV4.xml.
    Hi All, wanted to share my findings with the community. These are purely my personal preferences and opinions. I also have an iPhone XR and use that as a baseline.

First I am mainly interested in skin tones, I personally feel we are all very attuned to skin tones and that's the best way to get a feel for a camera's quality.

For things like plants, flowers, landscapes, buildings and objects sometimes it becomes very difficult to tell even poor and good cameras apart.

So lets begin. All this is on MIUI stock 12.0.3 ROM. I will focus on the main and selfie camera. Haven't tested video or the wide lens.

The Stock Camera
    The stock camera is decent but has a reddish brownish skin tone. On zoom in many situations you will see smudging. Its also not sharp. The selfie camera suffers from the same problems only more accentuated. Very smudgy, too much contrast, reddish brownish tone and overall lack of clarity and detail. In low light the problems become more accentuated.

Nikita 7.4 2.0 with Vanpoko's config V3
    Thanks to vanpoko for coming out with various configs for this. This camera is really extraordinary sharp on objects and color is also decent for objects. However its way too sharp for human subjects and gives an unnatural look. Skins tone also look unnatural. The selfie camera is oversharpened and unnatural - its unusable. The sharpening is extreme and skin tones just look off.

The next 2 are from the Poco X3 camera thread on 4pda. There are more than 650 pages on that thread and I used Google translate to read some of them. There are a lot of configs, versions, differing opinions, samples to wade through.

BSG 8.1 GVq
    This one is quite good out of the box. If you have a pet you will get fantastic pictures out of the box with BSG with proper color, detail, sharpness and proper definition on the eyes. Its way way better than stock and in some cases beats my iPhone XR for pets. The colors are on point though some may find it a bit faded. Skin tones are well represented in both good light and low light situations. There is details and none of the smudging you see on the stock. The selfie camera is also good for skin tones, again some may find this slightly washed out but the details are well captured. A simply brightening and contrast in the default image editor will dramatically improve the image for most tastes.

This camera is extremely good for pets. This is on out of the box config. For main lens in the settings I used Pixel4 for both HDR+ and AWB correction. These settings are in settings -> additional modules settings -> settings back lens. For selfie camera I found Samsung T2 AWB gave the best colors. This is in settings -> additional modules settings -> settings front lens -> awb correction. For the custom library I used Lib r1_01_Final - the skin tone colors are slightly better here than the default Google lib. There are many other BSG versions on the 4pda thread but I found the GVq versions shared there worked well. Its available on celsoazevedo Gcam site. Its the 8.1.101_A9_GVq one.

Aspen 8.1.200 and 8.1.011.194
    There is not much discussion on this Gcam mod on XDA or on celsoazevedo. Both along with BSG are highly rated on the 4pda thread. I found 8.1.200 nearly as good as BSG, just a slightly different color tone. Its also nearly as sharp as BSG. For the Selfie camera, some may find this better than BSG. Unfortunately the apks and configs are only available in the 4pda thread. The best library I found for color accuracy was 1.8re which many on the thread recommend. Like BSG the Aspen 1.8.200 is much better for skin tones, pets and many other things than the stock cameras.

The 8.1.011.194 version is extremely similar to the 8.1.200 version. Its slightly less sharp I found for pets and skin tones, and the selfie is just slightly, very slightly more natural looking. Again this is with lib1.8re. The other popular lib is 1.9final and I found 1.8re is generally better for skin tones on the front camera. The main camera is quite similar. On Aspen default AWB on gives a cooler more 'pastely' color tone but you can put it off to get a slightly warmer more accurate tone closer to BSG.

The 4pda thread is very confusing but for Aspen the bulk of the posts, configs and apks is shared by user Paradisoko. There are also a lot of useful posts and real world comparisons by both paradisoko and hulksvs on Aspen 8.1 and BSG. Thanks to both of these users and the 4pda community for providing a mod that improves the Poco default camera. One thing to note is Aspen does not support the wide camera while BSG does. I haven't tested much video but BSG records 1080p stabilized.

I think most users will find BSG 8.1 a good alternative to the stock cam. It works well out of the box for the X3 and I personally think colors are extremely accurate and skin tone and details is perhaps as good as the camera hardware allows. Aspen 8.1.200 is also worth trying, its very good, and you can install and use both together. Hope this was useful to users here.
    Hi everyone. I'm using the new Poco X3 since yesterday and it's a blast. Do you know of any GCam port available for this phone?
    I present to you the Google Camera which focuses on natural/realistic photography. Config by me. APK based on MGC v8.1.101 A9 GVb1 by BSG.

Description:
    - I was tired of seeing oversharpened XMLs for Gcam with excessive use of HDR effect (wider dynamic range than it really is & too much light in photos). I have Nokia 808 Pureview as my backup device which is known as a camera beast. I think that it's processing of photos is the most natural out of all the phones out there. I wanted to achieve the goal to have Poco X3 with the same photo processing as Nokia 808 Pureview. So this Gcam is more focused on hardware than on software photo processing. I will give you a little teaser. Here is the comparison between this Poco X3 Gcam mod & Nokia 808 Pureview (you can ignore contrast artifacts which are fixed):

Poco X3:

Nokia 808 Pureview:

Compared to stock camera & some other Gcam mods, this Gcam offers:
    + better color reproduction
    + better choice of automatic white balance
    + no oversharpening (still has more sharpening than Nokia 808 lmao)
    + finer details
    + low noise
    + good enough & realistic dynamic range
    + real amount of light in photos (in amount of which sensor allows; f.e it's not possible for this sensor to obtain enough amount of light in night)

Cons:
    - worse dynamic range in more complex scenes (because no HDR effect is used) [complex scene example: you're taking a photo of open window with a lot of light]
    - less light in some objects in more complex scenes (same as above)
    - too strong contrast (sensor limitation, not an app issue)
    - white balance is not always perfect, it can miss white balance indoors, especially when artificial light (bulb, LED) is used
    - ultrawide camera has more saturation than it is in reality, but the other colors are perfectly rendered (fixable)
    - you have to constantly disable AWB If you want better white balance for macro camera as it's not possible currently to choose AWB for individual camera sensors
    - slower camera switching (could be because of APK, also could be the ROM issue)
    - slower photo taking (because I focus on maximum picture quality, I did set the HDR+ Enhanced frames to 48 frames. If you want faster photo taking, use HDR+ instead with some miniscule degradation in photo quality)

Most of these cons are also in other camera softwares, some of them are sensor limited, i just listed all cons that I could find.

Download links:
    - APK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10m0QvpaJK-H1ZhiHerxN4GoPUrrBkfLd/view?usp=sharing
    - SlibP lib: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RjklqejM3lpro3V6Jn1nlzAqh305aCfL/view?usp=sharing
    - XML: https://drive.google.com/file/d/182DNsPdyDQ2f9Zl0B1FwDKoT4O9ZB1l2/view?usp=sharing

Instructions:
    1. Download & install APK
    2. Download SlibP.so lib & let it stay in Downloads folder
    3. Download my XML & in Gcam double tap the empty space where shutter button is located. Pop up window will appear, just select the downloaded XML
    4. In Gcam settings select option "Custom library" than click "Load custom lib" where you will select the downloaded SlibP.so lib.

That's it, enjoy!