Themes / Apps / Mods GCAM for Snapdragon S21 Ultra

Search This thread

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
@beserker15 are you still happy with the current Config file? I'm finding a ton of noise in indoor night shots and not in a good way comparative to the stock app (I.e.e not pulling more detail, quite the opposite).
Unfortunately I deleted the samples as they looked so bad, but they would have supported my point.

I find in my (limited) testing that daylight shots, especially with telephoto (both) come out better from GCam.
Night shots...it's a crap shoot. Could be either.

I have NOT touched any advanced GCam configuration as I need to read more about what every setting does. Maybe I'm missing some setting...I mainly played with HDR.

beserker15

• Sep 21, 2009
    @beserker15 are you still happy with the current Config file? I'm finding a ton of noise in indoor night shots and not in a good way comparative to the stock app (I.e.e not pulling more detail, quite the opposite).
    Unfortunately I deleted the samples as they looked so bad, but they would have supported my point.

I find in my (limited) testing that daylight shots, especially with telephoto (both) come out better from GCam.
    Night shots...it's a crap shoot. Could be either.

I have NOT touched any advanced GCam configuration as I need to read more about what every setting does. Maybe I'm missing some setting...I mainly played with HDR.

It depends on how dark you are referring to. At very dark scenarios, stock will always win out because it significantly boosts exposure and noise reduction. In normal indoor/medium light scenarios though, GCam still offers a lot more detail.

My configs are always aiming to target detail, even if they might have more noise. You can always work with the luma and chroma settings. With that said, there are a lot more work with noise profiles so the next release will be a little better with noise. Here's a crop of my current config with an unreleased beta version of Arnova in medium low light.

Screenshot_20210506-113728_Photo Compare.jpg

Reactions: Soepersoeper

beserker15

• Sep 21, 2009
    Is it something useful to try and mess around with libs? Or by default GCAM is optimised enough for S21 Ultra?

It's a personal preference. My profile uses noise model rather than RAM patcher (sometimes known as lib patcher in other GCams). I think a good noise model can make messing with patchers unnecessary. Now if you are referring to lib files, like lib_R1_01Final.so and others Arnova has posted, that is also a preference thing as well. I am personally using lib_R1_01v3.3.so since I find that it is a good balance between shadows and highlights. Some libs make things darker, where others boost shadows too much.

Reactions: Ipse_Tase

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    It's a personal preference. My profile uses noise model rather than RAM patcher (sometimes known as lib patcher in other GCams). I think a good noise model can make messing with patchers unnecessary. Now if you are referring to lib files, like lib_R1_01Final.so and others Arnova has posted, that is also a preference thing as well. I am personally using lib_R1_01v3.3.so since I find that it is a good balance between shadows and highlights. Some libs make things darker, where others boost shadows too much.
    Cheers for the quick response..I have my work cut out for me 🤣
    Reading required.

RE your samples, I think you are right : good or moderate good lighting is favoring Gcam.
    For really dark environment, stock is working it's magic to boost exposure and wipe out resulting noise (together with details...).
    I'm absolutely OK with using BOTH apps, as long as I understand the environment I'm shooting in and which one is going to give me better results.

meroupow

Appart from pixel peeping what I really like is the general look of the pictures produced by GCAM that look more true to life. The grass looks like grass and not some overprocessed oil paintaing.
    And also night mode is much cleaner than the samsung one and astro is amazing...
    I am definitely going to go deeper in understanding the parameters.
    Is there some kind of guide about all the settings where I should start learning from?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-05-08 à 15.22.08.png
      Capture d’écran 2021-05-08 à 15.22.08.png
      6.3 MB · Views: 165

beserker15

• Sep 21, 2009
    Promising! Do you know if front camera support is in the work also for next releases?
    @beserker15 Is there any update to this version of GCam? I am curious about the progress on GCam for S21 Ultra Snapdragon version.

Unfortunately the best that can be done with front camera is BSG's implementation which doesn't work with HDR since we don't have front RAW. It can actually look worse than stock cam without HDR so front camera is kinda pointless right now.

The next release will have loadable noise models and AWB profiles similar to how this one has loadable lib files. So no real added functions per say but just more things that lets you tweak the image further. Admittedly, most of the time I just try to tweak the telephoto cameras since I use them 90% of the time.

PXL_20210510_160800839.jpg

meroupow

Agreed zoom lenses are not accessible by other camera apps and even Samsung own pro mode hence GCAM is the only option to get a different result from the overprocessed look that Sammy designed for them.

If you don't like the ultra wide and wide default look you can still tweak a bit in native pro mode.

And for the front camera it is a bit sad not to have the GCAM option as for my Xiaomi Mi9 the results were amazing in HDR quality compared to stock but at least the default Samsung is good now after years of crazy beauty effects.

I am hoping some day Samsung will understand that extra sharpening and smoothing effect is just destructive for the pictures and not all their customers like this look and just give us the option to turn it down. Just a little parameter somewhere... Maybe if we all ask on their forum they would listen?

Reactions: Ipse_Tase

A709

Jun 7, 2018
    Unfortunately the best that can be done with front camera is BSG's implementation which doesn't work with HDR since we don't have front RAW. It can actually look worse than stock cam without HDR so front camera is kinda pointless right now.

The next release will have loadable noise models and AWB profiles similar to how this one has loadable lib files. So no real added functions per say but just more things that lets you tweak the image further. Admittedly, most of the time I just try to tweak the telephoto cameras since I use them 90% of the time.

View attachment 5305727
    我有s21 ultar,我想加入测试组,可以吗?

Translation: I have s21 ultar, I want to join the test group, can I?

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    Agreed zoom lenses are not accessible by other camera apps and even Samsung own pro mode hence GCAM is the only option to get a different result from the overprocessed look that Sammy designed for them.

If you don't like the ultra wide and wide default look you can still tweak a bit in native pro mode.

And for the front camera it is a bit sad not to have the GCAM option as for my Xiaomi Mi9 the results were amazing in HDR quality compared to stock but at least the default Samsung is good now after years of crazy beauty effects.

I am hoping some day Samsung will understand that extra sharpening and smoothing effect is just destructive for the pictures and not all their customers like this look and just give us the option to turn it down. Just a little parameter somewhere... Maybe if we all ask on their forum they would listen?
    There are Samsung member forums (bad news...a LOT of them, country based) and some folks think that posting there might generate some traction from Samsung.
    I for one would welcome a way to tweak sharpening....let me know if decide to go request it, I'll vote.
    Also, it seems that the Reddit Ultra community is pretty active, might get some support for the idea there as well.

tenjou00

May 11, 2021

View attachment 5305727
    @beserker15 Thank you for your reply. Any tips on how to tweak for noise reduction and cleaner more details in the telephoto lens photos? DXOmark gave S21 ultra a pretty low rating on telephoto lens too ... Worse than Mi 10 ultra... That kinda makes me wonder if it is just Samsung not tweaking the telephoto lens properly....

Last edited:

meroupow

I created a feature request on Samsung Dev forum:

Please go and vote for it if you feel we should be able to turn down sharpening in the photo app.

PhilMorin

Feb 16, 2017

Please go and vote for it if you feel we should be able to turn down sharpening in the photo app.
    Thanks for your effort, I voted!

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Done, thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I took an OTA and it seemed to automatically uninstall my gcam? Now when I install the app again, it never installs and just says "App Not Installed". Anyone know of a fix?
      Having same issue. I can't install gcam after ota update.
      Which OTA did you guys take? Did it auto install the Samsung Ruler app? That's the one that needs to be uninstalled as this GCam uses the same package name.
      I took an OTA and it seemed to automatically uninstall my gcam? Now when I install the app again, it never installs and just says "App Not Installed". Anyone know of a fix?
      Which OTA did you guys take? Did it auto install the Samsung Ruler app? That's the one that needs to be uninstalled as this GCam uses the same package name.
      That would be it! Thanks a million.
      Hi, it seems nobody here has a solution to my tint question in Lightroom. is there a forum you could indicate where I could pose the question to get a response or a possible fix? Thanks
      I kinda doubt it, GCam users for the S21U is already super niche. Now, narrow that further to RAW GCam users for the S21U that is also Lightroom users and you will end up probably being able to count them with your fingers.

If it helps, I don't use Lightroom but do use Photoshop and do not have issues with the RAW DNG files generated by GCam. Camera RAW on the computer and Photoshop Express app on the phone has no issues with the DNG files and tints (sometimes they lack saturation so I increase the vibrancy).
      Man tell me, combination off Gcam and mi 9, how they are comperable with samsung 21u, without Gcam, i now have mi9 gcam and photos are damn good, but i want to upgrade, is the upgrade to 21u worth it ?
      On the main camera the GCam photos look similar on mi9 and s21u. There's more difference between stock and gcam on each phone than between the two phones using GCam. Using stock camera the s21u pics look a bit less detailed or noisier sometimes when zooming in/pixel peeping.

On the zoom and ultra wide lenses there is simply no contest, s21u is far better than mi9.

On the selfie cam I quite like the look of gcam on mi9 although the s21u stock pics are good with a wider field of view. Missing the GCam option for s21u to really compare.

Astro photos seems to work better with GCam on mi9.

There is still a better compatibility with gcam on mi9 but overall you will not lose in quality. At its best focal the mi9 is just on par with s21u.
      Latest Arnova 8.1 build is out.

What works:
      All 4 rear cameras work.
      Portrait mode also works with all 4 rear cameras.
      Astrophotography works on main and ultra wide.
      Telephoto can only do 1080p recording while main and ultra wide can do 4k (but can zoom further than 20x for video).
      RAW DNG capture for all 4 rear cameras.

Doesn't work:
      Front camera
      Slow motion
      Macro (ultra wide works but can't focus up to macro levels like stock)

Steps for loading XML files: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/settings09/
      Need to give the app full storage permissions
      Screenshot_20210404-173259_Permission controller.jpg
      Please make sure you play with the settings before condemning the stock Camera app.
      Which settings???? Tick or untick scene optimizer? There is nothing or else i missed something.
      If you are talking pro mode then you are losing zoom ability and HDR... Great improvement!
      @dazed1

Gcam night sight

Samsung cam app

The original is wayyy better imo
      Where do I find the gcam/configs8 folder?

You gotta create it. Also make sure you gave the app full storage permissions. That's the issue I was having.
      Appart from pixel peeping what I really like is the general look of the pictures produced by GCAM that look more true to life. The grass looks like grass and not some overprocessed oil paintaing.
      And also night mode is much cleaner than the samsung one and astro is amazing...
      I am definitely going to go deeper in understanding the parameters.
      Is there some kind of guide about all the settings where I should start learning from?