• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Themes / Apps / Mods GCAM for Snapdragon S21 Ultra

Search This thread

Bacardi222

Nov 4, 2011
Maryland
Thanks a lot for providing these resources and configs.
I've been playing around with the different versions and find the latest Wichaya build and related config to produce the best results. Most shots look better and more natural than the Samsung camera app. Specifically, color accuracy and reproduction is considerably better, there is less sharpening, and better motion handling. However, I find the over sharpening that Samsung uses actually seems to produce better results for zoomed shots. I have to wonder if the exaggerated sharpening is intentional, given that the zoom is a major selling point of the phone.

Is there a way to change the native resolution of the photos to higher than the standard "full" resolution of 4000x3000? Anything in developer settings?

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021
Not a super experienced GCAM user but I deleted the ones I was previously using on my S21 Ultra (snapdragon) and downloaded the 3 in this post and for some reason the photos I take are looking extremely dark and the colors are over saturated.. Definitely don't look as good as the stock camera or the previous Gcam's I was using. I downloaded the Gcam 8.1 101 v1.3_scan3d.apk then putting the wichaya_8.1_S21U.xml into the Configs8 folder then opening it and applying it to the gcam. I've tried using HDR +enhanced and thats when I get the dark pictures with the over saturation and when I turn the HDR off, it just seems to white wash every photo.. Does it sound like I set something up wrong?

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks a lot for providing these resources and configs.
I've been playing around with the different versions and find the latest Wichaya build and related config to produce the best results. Most shots look better and more natural than the Samsung camera app. Specifically, color accuracy and reproduction is considerably better, there is less sharpening, and better motion handling. However, I find the over sharpening that Samsung uses actually seems to produce better results for zoomed shots. I have to wonder if the exaggerated sharpening is intentional, given that the zoom is a major selling point of the phone.

Is there a way to change the native resolution of the photos to higher than the standard "full" resolution of 4000x3000? Anything in developer settings?
Sadly no, Samsung doesn't expose the 108mp mode to API 2. Samsung's processing for the higher digital zooms work well with buildings or things with less textures and more defined edges, but looks terrible with things like trees.

Since the front cam isn't working, is there an option to disable/make disappear the "turn the camera around button"?
Nope, since not every Samsung model is affected, it would literally require a developer to only build for our Samsung model...which is very unlikely.

Not a super experienced GCAM user but I deleted the ones I was previously using on my S21 Ultra (snapdragon) and downloaded the 3 in this post and for some reason the photos I take are looking extremely dark and the colors are over saturated.. Definitely don't look as good as the stock camera or the previous Gcam's I was using. I downloaded the Gcam 8.1 101 v1.3_scan3d.apk then putting the wichaya_8.1_S21U.xml into the Configs8 folder then opening it and applying it to the gcam. I've tried using HDR +enhanced and thats when I get the dark pictures with the over saturation and when I turn the HDR off, it just seems to white wash every photo.. Does it sound like I set something up wrong?
You should upload some pictures. GCam usually reduces highlights, but it should never be extremely dark. Color saturation can be adjusted in RAM Patcher. Also have you tried loading the custom lib files I attached in the OP? The new one I added today is less saturated.

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021
Sadly no, Samsung doesn't expose the 108mp mode to API 2. Samsung's processing for the higher digital zooms work well with buildings or things with less textures and more defined edges, but looks terrible with things like trees.

Nope, since not every Samsung model is affected, it would literally require a developer to only build for our Samsung model...which is very unlikely.

You should upload some pictures. GCam usually reduces highlights, but it should never be extremely dark. Color saturation can be adjusted in RAM Patcher. Also have you tried loading the custom lib files I attached in the OP? The new one I added today is less saturated.

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_195508416.jpg
    PXL_20210720_195508416.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 78
  • 20210720_155516.jpg
    20210720_155516.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 20210720_173938.jpg
    20210720_173938.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20210720_225213698.jpg
    PXL_20210720_225213698.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20210720_213927293.jpg
    PXL_20210720_213927293.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021
@beserker15 So 3 of the 5 photos are taken with one of the GCAM Variants with the new XMLs applied... As you can see it's doing some weird stuff to the photos but being that I'm in no way a expert in photography its hard for me to describe what it is. I just know that I downloaded one about a month ago and it took awesome photos of my son then when I removed it and downloaded the 3 new ones it doesn't seem to look better than stock. I could be doing something wrong but I've tried with the lib files and without on all 3. Do these look off to you? if you think they do, I'll post some screenshots of how I have these set up

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
@beserker15 So 3 of the 5 photos are taken with one of the GCAM Variants with the new XMLs applied... As you can see it's doing some weird stuff to the photos but being that I'm in no way a expert in photography its hard for me to describe what it is. I just know that I downloaded one about a month ago and it took awesome photos of my son then when I removed it and downloaded the 3 new ones it doesn't seem to look better than stock. I could be doing something wrong but I've tried with the lib files and without on all 3. Do these look off to you? if you think they do, I'll post some screenshots of how I have these set up
Are you using the main 1x or ultra wide in these pictures? You are correct though, indoor with mixed lighting (where there are bright windows), stock does boost the brightness more but often at the cost of detail. Especially for darker skin people, it makes them look washed out. I will say that for most things, stock camera with the main camera is pretty good. Most of my shots are with the telephotos.

When lighting is even though, GCam looks consistently better. Also even when it isn't, the detailed lost from the brightness is annoying. Btw, these selfies are with the main rear camera (since of course GCam doesn't work with the front one).

Attachments

• 20210722_114257.jpg
    20210722_114257.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20210722_184225255.jpg
    PXL_20210722_184225255.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210722_114334.jpg
    20210722_114334.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20210722_184347312.jpg
    PXL_20210722_184347312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20210722-113549_Photo Compare.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-113549_Photo Compare.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 73

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021
When you're taking photos are you normally using enhanced or do you not use HDR at all? Trying to figure out how the best way to start getting good photos of my son again.. the stock camera seems to have trouble in that are. On whatever build I was on in the beginning of July seed to produce great photos like the one attached, almost every single time with the HDR ehanched on. Is something off with the way I have the files, I have both builds in the same folder

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210722-132940_My Files.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-132940_My Files.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210722-132943_My Files.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-132943_My Files.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 38

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021
New BSG build I just loaded.. darker one is with the new lib file and the lighter one is the standard google one

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_160218274.jpg
    PXL_20210722_160218274.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20210722_160247419.jpg
    PXL_20210722_160247419.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 87
Reactions: mpore14

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
When you're taking photos are you normally using enhanced or do you not use HDR at all? Trying to figure out how the best way to start getting good photos of my son again.. the stock camera seems to have trouble in that are. On whatever build I was on in the beginning of July seed to produce great photos like the one attached, almost every single time with the HDR ehanched on. Is something off with the way I have the files, I have both builds in the same folder
It's a little harder for me to optimize for kids since I don't have any lol. Let's simplify things a little. Since you are taking pictures of your son, let's go with BSG since it has the fastest autofocus speeds of the three (in some of your examples, the focus didn't go to your son). Load the BSG xml for that, and also the MWP lib file from today.

I always use HDR Enhanced since it gives the best picture quality. It adds a slight shutter delay, but I'm not usually taking pictures of sports so it's fine for me. You can increase/decrease the amount of HDR frames to increase capture speed as well as adjust exposure compensation in the modules section of BSG. The main camera is module 0.

Arnova is probably best for outdoor/still pictures where you want a little bit of added saturation. Wichaya is a solid all-arounder but definitely for moving kids you want BSG.

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021
It's a little harder for me to optimize for kids since I don't have any lol. Let's simplify things a little. Since you are taking pictures of your son, let's go with BSG since it has the fastest autofocus speeds of the three (in some of your examples, the focus didn't go to your son). Load the BSG xml for that, and also the MWP lib file from today.

I always use HDR Enhanced since it gives the best picture quality. It adds a slight shutter delay, but I'm not usually taking pictures of sports so it's fine for me. You can increase/decrease the amount of HDR frames to increase capture speed as well as adjust exposure compensation in the modules section of BSG. The main camera is module 0.

Arnova is probably best for outdoor/still pictures where you want a little bit of added saturation. Wichaya is a solid all-arounder but definitely for moving kids you want BSG.
Super helpful.. I appreciate you taking your time and explaining this stuff to me. By no means was I complaining, just want to understand how it works and make sure I wasn't messing anything up. For me, it seems like no lib file suits my style a bit more so I will try some shots later today and see how they work.

Is it possible to install and run the difficult builds at the same time on the phone?
yes youll have to use an app cloner though

Unless he means he wants to have Arnova, BSG and Wichaya installed all at the same time for which he can. Just use the different build names available.

For instance I have Arnova's, BSG's, Wichaya's AND Greatness builds all installed without doing anything special. (Iris, Ruler, Scan3D, Biometrics)
  • Iris_GCam_6.1Beta.210708.1751build-8.1.101 (Arnova's)
  • MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1k_ruler (BSG's)
  • GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.3_Scan3D (Wichaya's ofc)
  • GCam8.2.204_Greatness.210716.1730Release_Biometrics (Greatness ofc)
I use Arnova's GCam most of the time however the other 3 I have in a separate folder and simply named it GWB and organized the folder that way so I know which (same) icon represents which developer.

nimbleenigmas333

Jul 23, 2021
yes youll have to use an app cloner though

Unless he means he wants to have Arnova, BSG and Wichaya installed all at the same time for which he can. Just use the different build names available.

For instance I have Arnova's, BSG's, Wichaya's AND Greatness builds all installed without doing anything special. (Iris, Ruler, Scan3D, Biometrics)
I use Arnova's GCam most of the time however the other 3 I have in a separate folder and simply named it GWB and organized the folder that way so I know which (same) icon represents which developer.

Thank you! So far I think I am liking Arnova the best. But I'm definitely still a newb to all these camera settings, so it's a little intimidating.

bigc004

Jul 22, 2021

How do you know what config to run for greatness? When I click the configs all I see are a different set of phones and no s21 ultra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go to develop settings and search for 4k60fps and enable it
    That was it, bro. Thank you very much!
    *UPDATE July 22nd 2021*
    Updated link to newer BSG Public build. No significant changes but the changelog says photo quality should improve slightly. Also uploaded MWP-HDRv4.zip lib file.

*UPDATE July 13th 2021*
    Wichaya's build was updated to v1.3 so I updated the link and XML file. Of the three, it now offers the best motion photo resolution. Also updated the Arnova config zip with the HDRfix XML.

Arnova 8.1 Beta.210708.1750build-8.1.101
    This new Arnova update supports custom library and noise files. To make it easy, I have added them all to one zip file attached called Arnova_S21U_Config.zip. Extract all files inside to the GCam > Configs8 folder (make the folder if you don't already have it). Then give the app full storage permissions if you haven't already and load the XML file.
    Screenshot_20210708-132145_My Files.jpg

BSG Public Build MGC_8.1.101_A9_GV1k
    New BSG build probably has the most options out of any GCam 8.1 builds out now. There are so many options that for those who are familiar with GCam tweaks, this would be the go to. I've uploaded my BSG_Public_S21U.xml file but I'm sure there's ways to get even better quality out of it. This XML file goes into the Downloads > MGC_8.1.101_Configs folder.

Wichaya Build 8.1 version 1.3
    Use the Wichaya_8.1_S21U.xml that's attached for this build. Wichaya might have less options enabled, but it is very stable and produces excellent image quality. If you do not know what all of the GCam RAM Patcher configurations do, start with this build.

libgcastartup8.1_mNR70W19T28.zip (attached)
    This is a lib file I like, credit to UserX. Extract it and all three builds above have ways to load it. For Arnova, I've already included it in the other zip file. Wichaya would go to camera settings > advanced > custom lib to load it. BSG can load it from camera settings > libraries.

MWP-HDRv4.zip (attached)
    This lib appears to work well for Wichaya and BSG builds. Credit to MWP. This lib is less contrasty and less saturated compared to the nNR70W19T28 one. Same deal, unzip the lib and load it with GCam.

What works:
    All 4 rear cameras work.
    Portrait mode also works with all 4 rear cameras.
    Astrophotography works on main and ultra wide.
    Telephoto can only do 1080p recording while main and ultra wide can do 4k (but can zoom further than 20x for video).
    RAW DNG capture for all 4 rear cameras.

Doesn't work:
    Front camera
    Slow motion
    Macro (ultra wide works but can't focus up to macro levels like stock)

Steps for loading XML files: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/settings09/
    Need to give the app full storage permissions
    Screenshot_20210404-173259_Permission controller.jpg

Credits:
    Arnova, BSG, Wichaya for their builds of course. If you like the builds, please donate via the links on the download pages.
    Custom noise profiles for the Galaxy S21 Ultra - credit goes to user Matthias for creating them
    Also to user Morgenman for simplifying the ability to create the noise profiles.

Lastly:
    A few pictures taken by said GCam builds above
    PXL_20210707_005656015.jpg

PXL_20210707_145959720.jpg
    Please make sure you play with the settings before condemning the stock Camera app.
    Which settings???? Tick or untick scene optimizer? There is nothing or else i missed something.
    If you are talking pro mode then you are losing zoom ability and HDR... Great improvement!
    @dazed1

Gcam night sight

Samsung cam app

The original is wayyy better imo
    why I never succeed make ARNOVA work on my S21 Ultra EXYNOS.. Any clues how to fix it?
    Cause this is for Snapdragon not Exynos
    Alright, big update to the OP. Arnova's newest build and BSG public build was recently released in addition to Wichaya's build from last week. All three are awesome. Read the OP carefully as the setup for each is a little different from each other.