Question GCam for Xperia 5 III?

Search This thread

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
Ive always wanted to try GCam and see if its all the hype it says it is.

Is there a modded version out for the Xperia 5 III? Thanks

WarVic

Apr 24, 2010
None of previous Xperia (for the last 3 generations at least) flagship smartphone had working Gcam. Suggest this one will be no different.

Yakkosmurf

I've been playing with one on my 5 ii, and the results are pretty good. Not as great as I expected, but that doesn't surprise me. The Sony hardware is not optimized to work with the software, and you could probably tweak the algorithms to make it work better with the Sony hardware. But, I don't have time to tweak the hundreds of settings in the GCAM mods to see what works best.

XiCO FiR3

Nov 11, 2014
Where you have:
It's not close to perfect, but it works on all 3 rear cameras.
Night mode doesn't work very well because Sony only exposes expores up to 1s for external apps, and the GCam crashes when tries to use more than 1s to capture more light.

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
Where you have:
Night mode doesn't work very well because Sony only exposes expores up to 1s for external apps, and the GCam crashes when tries to use more than 1s to capture more light.
Posting a random link from a site that noone knows about is kind of sketchy.

Does the guy have some kind of XDA profile?

XiCO FiR3

Nov 11, 2014

Sorry, for that.
This site is a place where most of GCam mods are posted, for multiple devices and from multiple Devs, instead of even sketchier telegram groups.

The link in question I posted is from bsg19071979 here on XDA.
You can check is work https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-mod-google-camera-by-b-s-g.4201665/

Unfortunately, the version I posted is the only version I found that works on my Xperia 5 III.

Reactions: liggerz87

DanielMode

Jan 26, 2017
Last edited:

XiCO FiR3

Nov 11, 2014
and can u see any difference vs the original Xperia Camera Software :unsure:

and which version u using.?

Download:​

The biggest difference I can see, is in low light scenes, the google camera takes much better photos, and removes almost all the noise without losing to much detail.

In cases that the Xperia Camera clips the background, the Gcam resolves some detail in the clouds for example.

Overall I don't recommend it.
- Auto focus is it or miss.
- Touch to focus freezes the viewport.
- Video recording doesn't work.
- Selfie camera doesn't work because Sony uses a cheap Samsung sensor.
- Night mode doesn't work properly because Sony doesn't expose all the camera API properties.
- Out of the box the photos are a bit under saturated.

The diferent versions don't make any diffence in the case of the Xperia 5 III, that I know off.

Im my hold phone I needed a camera with a specific name to allow the google camera to access all the camera features in original ROM. More or less what sony does with the creator' color profile for specific apps.

Reactions: jayarmstrong

DanielMode

Jan 26, 2017
and again.... which version u using....therea6 different.!

i tried the first 3 from the list and i don't like there results at all.!

Yakkosmurf

I'm using rev X of the one ending in MGC. It runs okay. A little sluggish, but I don't have crashes. I did find a profile on the web and loaded it. GCAM on the Xperia cameras is a tool, but not a perfect one. I've learned from experimentation what areas it does well and what times it doesn't. I find it hard to say if it's better or worse than the stock app because it is situation dependent. If you're looking for something that you can replace the stock app with, your expectations will not be met. However, if you're looking for an app that does better in many low light situations where you have to shoot handheld, then it will give you capability you don't have with the stock app.

mrsyamsul

Oct 13, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I'm using rev X of the one ending in MGC. It runs okay. A little sluggish, but I don't have crashes. I did find a profile on the web and loaded it. GCAM on the Xperia cameras is a tool, but not a perfect one. I've learned from experimentation what areas it does well and what times it doesn't. I find it hard to say if it's better or worse than the stock app because it is situation dependent. If you're looking for something that you can replace the stock app with, your expectations will not be met. However, if you're looking for an app that does better in many low light situations where you have to shoot handheld, then it will give you capability you don't have with the stock app.
Im wondering why people search gcam for 5 iii, latest 5 iii stock camera take picture way better than my pixel 5. I love the result from my 5 iii photo.
Current devices 5 iii, android 12

WarVic[NZ]

Aug 11, 2017
Im wondering why people search gcam for 5 iii, latest 5 iii stock camera take picture way better than my pixel 5. I love the result from my 5 iii photo.
Disagree with X 5 III taking better photos than Pixel 5. I wish it was true so then it would be no need in Gcam. X 5 III takes good enough photos in perfect light conditions only. That's just my experience (with X 1 III though).

mrsyamsul

Oct 13, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Disagree with X 5 III taking better photos than Pixel 5. I wish it was true so then it would be no need in Gcam. X 5 III takes good enough photos in perfect light conditions only. That's just my experience (with X 1 III though).
Is you use lates android 12 and latest March photography pro, even night mod on my 5 iii capture faster than my pixel 6. I don't have 1 iii so i can't make comparison. I only have 5 iii, pixel 5 and pixel 6.

WarVic[NZ]

Aug 11, 2017
Is you use lates android 12 and latest March photography pro, even night mod on my 5 iii capture faster than my pixel 6. I don't have 1 iii so i can't make comparison. I only have 5 iii, pixel 5 and pixel 6.
I don't like the quality output straight out of camera. Photos come out underexposed, out of focus, lack of clarity and lack of HDR too often.

WarVic[NZ]

Aug 11, 2017
Ohh I'm sorry to hear that.none that happen to my Xperia 5 III devices. You may want to get new phone and forget about your 1 III already.
This is exactly what I did! I 'm really happy that I was able to get rid of that overpriced, overhyped device. Certainly it is not worth even $800 to my opinion. Just because of underwhelming camera performance alone.

Reactions: mrsyamsul

locuturus

I currently have a Pixel 4a and an Xperia 5 iii. The difference in low light scenes is astonishingly in the Pixel's favor. During the day I really like the Xperia's colors and having multiple zoom levels is great too. But in poor light the $349 Pixel cleans the Xperia's clock. Sure, with a tripod and a static scene I could get a better result on the 5 iii perhaps but in most situations it's not close. Google has bottled smoke or something.

Reactions: mrsyamsul

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where you have:

Sorry, for that.
    This site is a place where most of GCam mods are posted, for multiple devices and from multiple Devs, instead of even sketchier telegram groups.

The link in question I posted is from bsg19071979 here on XDA.
    You can check is work https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-mod-google-camera-by-b-s-g.4201665/

Unfortunately, the version I posted is the only version I found that works on my Xperia 5 III.
    and can u see any difference vs the original Xperia Camera Software :unsure:

and which version u using.?

Download:​

The biggest difference I can see, is in low light scenes, the google camera takes much better photos, and removes almost all the noise without losing to much detail.

In cases that the Xperia Camera clips the background, the Gcam resolves some detail in the clouds for example.

Overall I don't recommend it.
    - Auto focus is it or miss.
    - Touch to focus freezes the viewport.
    - Video recording doesn't work.
    - Selfie camera doesn't work because Sony uses a cheap Samsung sensor.
    - Night mode doesn't work properly because Sony doesn't expose all the camera API properties.
    - Out of the box the photos are a bit under saturated.

The diferent versions don't make any diffence in the case of the Xperia 5 III, that I know off.

Im my hold phone I needed a camera with a specific name to allow the google camera to access all the camera features in original ROM. More or less what sony does with the creator' color profile for specific apps.