gcam port works wonders

Search This thread

cs88

Sep 18, 2010
I posted this in the real life review section as well but that kind of gets buried. The gcam from bsg(https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/) for the mi 8 works wonders on this thing. Takes camera quality from truly bad to right behind my pixel 2. i made a post on reddit where i posted a cropped comparison of stock v gcam v p2 in a lowly lit room of some carpet. Carpet is a good test just like grass for comparing fine details. https://www.reddit.com/r/razerphone/comments/9rv2ed/google_cam_port_quality_vs_stock_app_vs_pixel_2/ . Same results can be seen from the front facing camera as well its like razer isnt doing anything special with algorithms just if it takes a picture its good enough when the hardware is capable of so much more.

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I posted this in the real life review section as well but that kind of gets buried. The gcam from bsg(https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/) for the mi 8 works wonders on this thing. Takes camera quality from truly bad to right behind my pixel 2. i made a post on reddit where i posted a cropped comparison of stock v gcam v p2 in a lowly lit room of some carpet. Carpet is a good test just like grass for comparing fine details. https://www.reddit.com/r/razerphone/comments/9rv2ed/google_cam_port_quality_vs_stock_app_vs_pixel_2/ . Same results can be seen from the front facing camera as well its like razer isnt doing anything special with algorithms just if it takes a picture its good enough when the hardware is capable of so much more.

Do you mind posting a few more pics if possible in different scenarios? Also, is the Gcam super slow or anything?

cs88

Sep 18, 2010
Do you mind posting a few more pics if possible in different scenarios? Also, is the Gcam super slow or anything?

I will definitely post more today and I'll leave them full sized as well instead of a cropped section. Right now the version I am using only works with hdr+ on so it takes maybe 1 second to save a photo. The trade off is well worth it but hopefully either an update to the port or a better one comes along so hdr+ off works too.

Reactions: jal3223

texanman

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Park
Thanks for the tip. Its a night and day difference using gcam vs the default cam.

XFolJzs.jpg

yjph3C6.jpg

cs88

Sep 18, 2010
Thanks for the tip. Its a night and day difference using gcam vs the default cam.

XFolJzs.jpg

yjph3C6.jpg

good to hear. I just wanted to try and get the word out that the camera is not actually as awful as all the reviews say it is. I mean yeah with the stock app the quality is awful in any scenario. With the gcam port it can keep up with my pixel 2 xl which is not a bad place to be. this phone is too good to be overlooked because people dont know about the google cam ports.

CurtisMJ

May 23, 2013
Doesn't this thing have the same Sony sensor as the Pixel 3? If that's true, all of Google's fancy machine learning they did for that phone becomes pretty much directly applicable. So it would stand to reason this phone could benefit quite a lot more than others from GCam ports.

cs88

Sep 18, 2010
Doesn't this thing have the same Sony sensor as the Pixel 3? If that's true, all of Google's fancy machine learning they did for that phone becomes pretty much directly applicable. So it would stand to reason this phone could benefit quite a lot more than others from GCam ports.

Yeah this has the same imx363 that's in the pixel 3. The LG v40, Poco f1, mi 8 and others also have this sensor. Too bad no reviewers will review this with the gcam port.. instead they will keep telling everyone the camera is trash

Reactions: wing_addict_usa

woundman

Feb 11, 2016
Confirmed. Major difference. Roll my eyes when people say the camera is "trash". Compared my OnePlus 6 to my Razer Phone 2 w/ gcam. Razer phone 2 looks better imo. Here are some pics.
x00zVvc.jpg
CH5Heka.jpg

Reactions: gahu777

CurtisMJ

May 23, 2013
Shooting in raw gives pretty decent results. Gcam doesn't seem to expose any pro settings though so I think I could do better.

Attachments

• LRM_EXPORT_22499104745565_20181101_183708596.jpg
    LRM_EXPORT_22499104745565_20181101_183708596.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 473

arc_knight

Oct 30, 2015
Yeah this has the same imx363 that's in the pixel 3. The LG v40, Poco f1, mi 8 and others also have this sensor. Too bad no reviewers will review this with the gcam port.. instead they will keep telling everyone the camera is trash

it would be dumb if reviewers start doing that. And that would make the phone makers lazy. It the manufacturers work to make it a out of the box wonder, not a third party enthusiast who looks after it and makes it work the way it should.

cs88

Sep 18, 2010
it would be dumb if reviewers start doing that. And that would make the phone makers lazy. It the manufacturers work to make it a out of the box wonder, not a third party enthusiast who looks after it and makes it work the way it should.

The thing is the phone is being slammed for a bad camera. so people dont buy it thinking the camera is bad when its just the app. Reviews should make a side note can greatly improve the quality by trying a 3rd party. Your comment is like saying google chrome (or any other stock google app) sucks on a pixel device like there arent any alternatives to use instead. imagine reviews "the browser is laggy dont buy" then install firefox its fine. i know for a fact if i didnt know about google cam ports after watching reviews i probably would not have bought it or if i did i definitely would have returned it after seeing the trash first hand.

arc_knight

Oct 30, 2015
The thing is the phone is being slammed for a bad camera. so people dont buy it thinking the camera is bad when its just the app. Reviews should make a side note can greatly improve the quality by trying a 3rd party. Your comment is like saying google chrome (or any other stock google app) sucks on a pixel device like there arent any alternatives to use instead. imagine reviews "the browser is laggy dont buy" then install firefox its fine. i know for a fact if i didnt know about google cam ports after watching reviews i probably would not have bought it or if i did i definitely would have returned it after seeing the trash first hand.

While your idea fundamentally works, not everything is black and white. You are on XDA, and that itself says a lot about you. I can easily say that if you have doubt about something, you look it up on internet first then start talking with relatives about the doubt. There is a huge demographic who is not going to bother with all that nonsense. They will just buy a phone, go to play at the very best if something nags. They will keep complaining about it for the rest of their lives. Saying its software's fault is stupid. Don't you blame Sony for their unremarkable performance in camera department even though they have the top Sensors embedded in them?

Reactions: ryotaru

CurtisMJ

May 23, 2013
While your idea fundamentally works, not everything is black and white. You are on XDA, and that itself says a lot about you. I can easily say that if you have doubt about something, you look it up on internet first then start talking with relatives about the doubt. There is a huge demographic who is not going to bother with all that nonsense. They will just buy a phone, go to play at the very best if something nags. They will keep complaining about it for the rest of their lives. Saying its software's fault is stupid. Don't you blame Sony for their unremarkable performance in camera department even though they have the top Sensors embedded in them?
I actually kind of agree with this. Messing with modded apks is probably beyond like 70-80% of users and it's actually kind of dangerous the less you know what you're doing. I know for a fact I can squeeze the best out of hardware I buy, but I wouldn't be able to recommend this phone on camera performance to anyone else. Especially when they can just buy a Pixel 3.
A good point though is that unlike with the previous Razer phone there is at least no hardware limit. This means Razer has massive headroom to improve their software for a better out of the box experience. And since this device is their only shot currently, they're kind of obliged to not give up. Unfortunately it means waiting.

cs88

Sep 18, 2010
I actually kind of agree with this. Messing with modded apks is probably beyond like 70-80% of users and it's actually kind of dangerous the less you know what you're doing. I know for a fact I can squeeze the best out of hardware I buy, but I wouldn't be able to recommend this phone on camera performance to anyone else. Especially when they can just buy a Pixel 3.
A good point though is that unlike with the previous Razer phone there is at least no hardware limit. This means Razer has massive headroom to improve their software for a better out of the box experience. And since this device is their only shot currently, they're kind of obliged to not give up. Unfortunately it means waiting.

thats why i say they can mention something like "if you want to fiddle and understand some risk you can greatly improve it if not get something else" instead of flatly condemning it. I sadly dont have hopes of razer improving the cam quality would be nice if they did. Everyone had hopes of essential fixing their cam quality after them saying they would... nope didnt happen. And yeah no i wouldnt recommend it to anyone for camera performance unless i know they are capable to know the risks and whatnot when it comes to a modded apk.

cs88

Sep 18, 2010

i kind of sounded like an ass with my reply didnt mean to. i just mean they can mention something like "if you want to fiddle and understand some risk you can greatly improve it if not get something else" instead of flatly condemning it. to be honest i always forget sonys exist and that one i never understood but they deserve the flak since they make the sensors and have a camera division so thats kind of a different thing. i give razer some slack for having a crap camera app since they are relatively new to this. Sony doesnt deserve any slack. razers ceo and his "top engineers" as he calls them do need to step it up not easy but it can happen. And it technically is the software at fault just saying. They can fix it and everything will be good in the world or they can leave it like its current rotten potato state.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's an actual RP2 port on the gcam page now. I've been using it and it works great, it even works with double press to launch from the lock screen though it is hit and miss if the pictures save when you launch that way, at least for me. There also doesn't appear to be an option to switch to the aux lens, so you'll have to use an older port or stock cam for telephoto.

MGC_6.1.021_RazerPhone2_V1

Gcam page: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
    MGC_6.1.021_FINAL_V1a_A8.1+ works flawless video doesn't crash and nightview is fully ported

I will definitely post more today and I'll leave them full sized as well instead of a cropped section. Right now the version I am using only works with hdr+ on so it takes maybe 1 second to save a photo. The trade off is well worth it but hopefully either an update to the port or a better one comes along so hdr+ off works too.