GCAM

Search This thread

WickedDelight

Jul 26, 2019
Who has the device and has sideloaded gcam yet ? Really thinking about getting the phone and am coming from a pixel 4xl and really enjoy the point and click of the pixel. Want to see if GCAM is a viable option on the Sony Xperia 5 ii.

Thanks

zujko

Aug 6, 2011
Zagreb
Surprisingly, the stock app for the camera is very good on 5 II.. The question is, is gcam needed for 5 II, sony did a great job with the camera and the camera software this year.

CazeW

Nov 14, 2008
The stock app is indeed surprisingly capable, but managing highlights is still one of the weak points with Sony. The 5 II is probably the best phone Sony has made in years so it would be great to see GCam support for it. Any chance of this @Arnova8G2 @Urnyx05?

Reactions: KiraV

mhsbrian

May 18, 2009
Huawei Nexus 6P
OnePlus 7 Pro
The stock app is indeed surprisingly capable, but managing highlights is still one of the weak points with Sony. The 5 II is probably the best phone Sony has made in years so it would be great to see GCam support for it. Any chance of this @Arnova8G2@Urnyx05?

I think you hit it on the head honestly. The testing I have been doing with the camera seems to be that Sony is okay with highlights in photos, similarly to Apple but Apple does still a little better than Sony does.

There are definitely benefits I have seen from the highlights though, portrait photos of a person with good lighting look exceptional on the mark II even with indoor lighting. My first 2 days with this phone have been a pleasure because it almost makes me feel like this phone is built like a Nexus device was back in the good old days, with minor Sony embellishments.

Looking forward to progress here in this!

CazeW

Nov 14, 2008
@Urnyx05
Checked your thread for what you need for a bug report, so I've tried include all that you need incase you are interested in getting your GCam up and running on the Xperia 5 II.
Phone: Xperia 5 II, stock rom, no fixes
APK: GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.3.apk
Camera2 Test and logcat attached of the crash.

The app crashes the moment you start it (after you've given it all the permissions), but you can also hear the camera activating.

Attachments

• logcat.log
    404.5 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

Onepunchbro

Oct 15, 2017
Came here from the Xperia 1 II thread. Yes, the Xperia 5 II is one of the Android flagship this year. Stable gcam support will elevate the popularity of this device more, Sony get more sales and they have more money to develop next gen Xperia.

L

lucapasto

@Urnyx05
Checked your thread for what you need for a bug report, so I've tried include all that you need incase you are interested in getting your GCam up and running on the Xperia 5 II.
Phone: Xperia 5 II, stock rom, no fixes
APK: GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.3.apk
Camera2 Test and logcat attached of the crash.

Hi, i downloaded and tested it: IMHO Sony Photo Pro app gives better results
unistalled

my 2 cents

Luca

CazeW

Nov 14, 2008
Hi, i downloaded and tested it: IMHO Sony Photo Pro app gives better results
unistalled

my 2 cents

Luca

Eh, what? There aren't any properly working GCam versions for the phone yet.
The only ones that work are one older GCam and the Go version. Yes, stock apps give better pictures than those but I'm not counting those as proper GCam ports.

WickedDelight

Jul 26, 2019
Android 11 and GCAM

It might actually help when sony releases Android 11 for both the mark 5 ii and the mark 1 ii phone. It's might make the current GCAM apks and config files more compatible.

Subbb

Oct 18, 2020
Are you running this version?
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1234/
On my 5-2 this GCam is semi-working. It takes photo on 16 and 70 mm module. Sometimes you can enter the menu using the button LIB from the tenth time.
(If the image from the camera is visible and falls out, move the slider to the video and choose a different camera).

Perhaps someone can make this version work and run the main photo module (it works in the video).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019
Are you running this version?
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1234/
On my 5-2 this GCam is semi-working. It takes photo on 16 and 70 mm module. Sometimes you can enter the menu using the button LIB from the tenth time.
(If the image from the camera is visible and falls out, move the slider to the video and choose a different camera).

Perhaps someone can make this version work and run the main photo module (it works in the video).

I cant Open it.... Force Close everytime

tarkan-t29

Nov 3, 2010
France
@Subbb I've managed to snap a photo with the ultra wide and tele yes, the photos are very grainy though.
It's weird because Google Camera Go works only with the 24mm lens.
@chilled_orange13 my trick was to open the app, quickly swipe to video then change the lens using the upper settings menu. Pressing the setting icon or lib icon makes the app crash. Changing lens crashes the app but when you open it again it launches on the selected lens.

Top Liked Posts