Gear fit 2 review

Search This thread

djurkash

Jan 8, 2009
Realme GT
Can anyone of you, fit 2 owners, submit first impressions?

I am mostly interested in how notifications are working, are they seamless of the phone brand (same set of features no matter of phone being Samsung or not)...

Second thing is battery ofc, for instance, can it last 4 days (GPS free), with notifications turned on, normal usage?

I Like the device, own first generation, but use it with open fit app, and I am missing mostly notifications part as it was intended when using with great fit manager...

THANKS...

UPDATE: There's great thread on this device already, that if I knew existed, I'd hardly started this one, but the location of it is questionable, as I am not sure if gf2 was ever advertised as s7e accessory...

Last edited:

74Marek

Dec 13, 2010
Hi.
See review from user Pilz, here at XDA:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/s7-edge/accessories/review-gear-fit-2-t3396090/page5#post67341876[/URL]"
I have Samsung S6 Edge, smooth connection without problem, also with wireless Energy Sistem headphones. Battery life, 4 days only without using it :) By me it is between 2-3 days.

Last edited:

agent_monthy

Jun 7, 2016
Hi.
See review from user Pilz, here at XDA:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/s7-edge/accessories/review-gear-fit-2-t3396090/page5#post67341876[/URL]"
I have Samsung S6 Edge, smooth connection without problem, also with wireless Energy Sistem headphones. Battery life, 4 days only without using it :) By me it is between 2-3 days.

2-3 days is good result for 200 mA battery

djurkash

Jan 8, 2009
Realme GT
Good, hopefully they implemented reply by template for both call and SMS notifications, find these options really useful...
But, 2 day battery is a deal breaker to me... We'll see...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dobromirr

Nov 14, 2012
2 days max, not with brighteness on 10
after 6, almost 7 days of 'testing' up till today

Last edited:

KyleK29

Oct 15, 2006

I am mostly interested in how notifications are working, are they seamless of the phone brand (same set of features no matter of phone being Samsung or not)...

Second thing is battery ofc, for instance, can it last 4 days (GPS free), with notifications turned on, normal usage?

I Like the device, own first generation, but use it with open fit app, and I am missing mostly notifications part as it was intended when using with great fit manager...

THANKS...
Here's my quick and dirty review so far. My prior devices: Fitbit, Polar Loop, Garmin Vivosmart, Garmin VSHR, Microsoft Band 2

Hardware: Very nice design. Well put together (doesn't feel cheap), screen is gorgeous. Band is comfortable and I don't even realize I'm wearing it. Waterproofing is nice. Has magnetic charging and charges at 1.32%/min. One con is that they don't include a loop on the band to lock it in place - I've had it pop off while brushing my wrist against things. Heart rate is accurate enough for RHR calculations. Had to buy a loop (18mm size) for $5.

Software: Beta-like. Buggy. Calories aren't calculated correctly. There are some decent apps (caffeine and water) and the one's there do have good UI/GFX. Notifications are easy to read and work bidirectional (an issue I had with the MS Band 2, where reading it on the phone didn't sync the read status on the band, annoying). Stair tracking is finicky and prone to inaccuracies.

Battery Life: I just logged a test of 91% usage over 68hrs. No GPS & wifi off. Display brightness at 5. Bluetooth on w/ notifications. 1hr worth of workout w/heart rate monitoring. Sleep tracked. That puts it at about an estimate 76hr total time if I don't use power-save mode. That's worlds better than the 50hrs I got with my Band2.

Verdict: It's a great piece of hardware. But buy it only if you feel they'll get the software bugs ironed out and not just abandonware it. I haven't used the original GearFit, so I don't know if they kept working on that.

What I Hope They Add in Software:
+ User voice or feedback submit option.
+ Invert Rotate-On, for wearing it inside the wrist.
+ Weightlifting/Interval workout option on band.
+ Ability to configure power-save mode to automatically turn on. Right now it asks permission at around 10%. Maybe even allow the user to select what it does (ie: grayscale, dim screen, etc.)
+ Automatic goal scaling
+ Inactivity meter (a few bands have this, it's a nice feature).
+ Ability to temporarily go full brightness on screen with extra tap or click. I have mine set to 5, would love to be able to just double-tap it to boost it for when in daylight. I don't believe it has a light sensor.

I'd recommend buying it with a protection plan. I got mine for $175+$30 at BB for 2years no questions replacement. Only reason I did it is because these bands are often made to the cheapest pricing and prone to failure. In fact, I traded my MS Band 2 straight across for this (also paid $175+$30 for that) because I had gone through 4 of those in 6 months.

Last edited:

ZiCott

Feb 15, 2013
JUst got mine this morning...Super Comfortable, Display is Awesome...Notifications work great with my V10... I am hoping more apps get developed this time around.

AdamAlter

Feb 6, 2011
Austin
www.linkedin.com
I picked it up a week ago (release day, the 10th), but just returned it. I never return things, and I hated returning this.
My experiences:

GREAT:

-Easily the most comfortable fitting device I've ever had on my wrist, and with no clip, it doesn't scrape desks and laptop palm wrests, or is even noticeable as a lump on the wrist (complete opposite of my experience with my wife's Microsoft Band 2).
-Screen is incredible, indoors, and not bad outside
-Swipe navigation is smooth and responsive
-The display wake gesture was pretty solid and responsive
-The charger is awesome. Pulls device into place via magnet perfectly and works the same regardless of direction, the display shows time and charge, right side up both ways. Mount is stable and low-centered to sit on desk firmly, without being oversized or heavy. Charges extremely fast
-GPS was dead on each day of my 42 mile daily bike commute, in comparison to my Wahoo ELEMNT cycling computer's GPS

MEH-ISH:

-The notifications were good, but limited details which required I go to the phone often to know what it was about. I understand it's a band and not a full blown smartwatch, so not really complaining
-There wasn't much you could do with it as far as apps, but it's new and I'm sure that will change soon.
-The auto-sleep detection didn't work well for me. If I watched TV before bed, it would count it as sleep, and if I got up in the middle of the night to pee and let the dogs out, it would end the sleep session, sometimes ignoring me going back to bed, other times counting them as separate sleeps. If I went into S Health to manually edit it, it was extremely buggy, wouldn't save, would lose the data, ect. I gave up trying. Since there was no manual sleep start/stop like you can with exercise, you have to go with the auto-detect.

BATTERY:

I ran mostly default settings as far as alerts/notifications 24/7 heart rate, ect. My 42 mile daily commute (~2 hrs) I would manually start the cycling mode with GPS and heart rate (ebike, video of my commute) lol and from that, after 24 hours, it would be down to around half battery. Each morning I would have a cup of coffee at my desk and charge it (<20 minutes). I'm the kind of person that needs habits or I forget. So, even if the device lasted 5 days, I would prefer to stick it on the charger at the same time every day to top it off as a routine. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it lasted a week, or a month+, if I need to travel, but as long as it easily lasts a day, I can be good with that, considering the fast charging. The Microsoft band 2 takes 1hr+ from my experience.

NOPE:

-The stopper, for me, was the locked down data for exercise. Heart rate data couldn't be viewed in the 1 second format anywhere but in a very basic graph on the S Health app and on the device. It doesn't even carry to Google Fit. Even though there's Strava sharing, export options, ect, it ONLY allows GPS and time stamp data out. Even in developer mode of the phone and app, I could only see the 24 hour heart rate samples, and random samples during the activity, nothing even close to the 1 second data, though better than the Microsoft Band's 1 minute heart rate data. Since my S7 doesn't have root, I gave up trying to get at the data.

DISCOVERY:

-Having bought it from Best Buy, I exchanged it for the Vivoactive hr. HOWEVER, after exchanging it, I noticed a Samsung rep in the store so I went to him to say how much I loved the Gear Fit 2, but I HAD to have access to the data, so returned it. He said something like: "Very soon there's a Tizen update coming that will open that data up via an API for the major fitness platforms, including Strava, who is already set up to receive that data once we update".

-Well, crap, wish I had known that before. The Vivoactive hr display is HORRIBLE, I have the brightness cranked and a custom, bold, white watch face to help me try and see it in dim areas. In the sun it's fine, because it reflects the light to see the numbers, but in the dark it's extremely hard for me to see. Also, the notifications are more like annoyifications because they keep re-notifying even after being dismissed, randomly.

lordbannon

Jan 13, 2009
My thoughts so far

From a hardware perspective, I am a big fan. I find it to be very comfortable, the screen is gorgeous, and the whole thing is very responsive. I would like more battery - I am only getting a day out of mine so far, but that does involve about an hour of GPS from my bike commute along with an abnormal amount of use, as it is a new toy.

From a software perspective, it still needs work. I have not had it autodetect my workouts yet, and GPS occasionally fails to pick up a signal. Notifications in general are spotty. I will get most text messages on my wrist, but I can't get any alarm clock program to work. My main interface issue is that it is rather common for a swipe to be picked up as a press, especially if I start the swipe on the screen as opposed to off of the edge. I'm not enamored with any of the available watch faces, and I would like an always on mode.

Personally, I have no issues with S Health, but my fitness tracking was very fragmented beforehand. My previous tracker was a Basis Peak, which was locked into its own bubble anyway. So far, I am still doing double tracking of workouts with Endomondo, but once I am satisfied that the GPS will be more consistent (or that automatic tracking will work), I will drop that.

All in all, I am happy, but would like to see a few updates.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I'm still getting 2.5-3 days of battery life after cycling through it 2x now. I have 8% left after 70 hours of being on with GPS enabled; you can read my OP for more details on that, but I'm happy with it so far.

djurkash

Jan 8, 2009
Realme GT
I'm still getting 2.5-3 days of battery life after cycling through it 2x now. I have 8% left after 70 hours of being on with GPS enabled; you can read my OP for more details on that, but I'm happy with it so far.
Really great and thorough test, I've added to the op of this thread, hope you don't mind...

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Really great and thorough test, I've added to the op of this thread, hope you don't mind...

That's fine with me; I also reviewed the original Gear Fit (I'm surprised the OP is still on the second page) if your curious to see how much it has changed. I managed to eek out 4 days of battery with the original if I recall correctly. I turned on power saving mode earlier today (about 5 hours ago) and it has really helped my battery last this last stretch before it dies. I just hit 72 hours (3 days) of solid usage and I still have 7% left thanks to power saving mode for the past few hours. I think anyone can manage 2-3 days of use if they follow the way I used the device, or any alternative that allows you to use the Gear Fit 2 without limiting it.

Original Gear Fit Review

djurkash

Jan 8, 2009
Realme GT
That's fine with me; I also reviewed the original Gear Fit (I'm surprised the OP is still on the second page) if your curious to see how much it has changed. I managed to eek out 4 days of battery with the original if I recall correctly. I turned on power saving mode earlier today (about 5 hours ago) and it has really helped my battery last this last stretch before it dies. I just hit 72 hours (3 days) of solid usage and I still have 7% left thanks to power saving mode for the past few hours. I think anyone can manage 2-3 days of use if they follow the way I used the device, or any alternative that allows you to use the Gear Fit 2 without limiting it.

Original Gear Fit Review
Yes, remember your review of gf1, now, as you've mentioned it..
I am using my third gf1 for 2 years now, tried some wear devices, sw3 was the closest to the level I wanted (although I am fan of Sony devices, damn, that thing was so ugly), fr230 was good from noon wear devices, but always coming back to gf1, and the simplicity and looks it had...
I will wait for few months to see how the development rolls out, and also whether will it be accessible in my country via official channels, but I am already pretty sure gf2 to be on my wrist eventually...

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Yes, remember your review of gf1, now, as you've mentioned it..
I am using my third gf1 for 2 years now, tried some wear devices, sw3 was the closest to the level I wanted (although I am fan of Sony devices, damn, that thing was so ugly), fr230 was good from noon wear devices, but always coming back to gf1, and the simplicity and looks it had...
I will wait for few months to see how the development rolls out, and also whether will it be accessible in my country via official channels, but I am already pretty sure gf2 to be on my wrist eventually...

It is a huge improvement of the first generation GF even though I sold mine a while back. I read through my initial review of the GF, and wow has it changed! I tried a few Android Wear Watches. I'm enjoying the GF2 so far without any real issues which is a good sign. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: djurkash

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THANKS...
    Here's my quick and dirty review so far. My prior devices: Fitbit, Polar Loop, Garmin Vivosmart, Garmin VSHR, Microsoft Band 2

Hardware: Very nice design. Well put together (doesn't feel cheap), screen is gorgeous. Band is comfortable and I don't even realize I'm wearing it. Waterproofing is nice. Has magnetic charging and charges at 1.32%/min. One con is that they don't include a loop on the band to lock it in place - I've had it pop off while brushing my wrist against things. Heart rate is accurate enough for RHR calculations. Had to buy a loop (18mm size) for $5.

Software: Beta-like. Buggy. Calories aren't calculated correctly. There are some decent apps (caffeine and water) and the one's there do have good UI/GFX. Notifications are easy to read and work bidirectional (an issue I had with the MS Band 2, where reading it on the phone didn't sync the read status on the band, annoying). Stair tracking is finicky and prone to inaccuracies.

Battery Life: I just logged a test of 91% usage over 68hrs. No GPS & wifi off. Display brightness at 5. Bluetooth on w/ notifications. 1hr worth of workout w/heart rate monitoring. Sleep tracked. That puts it at about an estimate 76hr total time if I don't use power-save mode. That's worlds better than the 50hrs I got with my Band2.

Verdict: It's a great piece of hardware. But buy it only if you feel they'll get the software bugs ironed out and not just abandonware it. I haven't used the original GearFit, so I don't know if they kept working on that.

What I Hope They Add in Software:
    + User voice or feedback submit option.
    + Invert Rotate-On, for wearing it inside the wrist.
    + Weightlifting/Interval workout option on band.
    + Ability to configure power-save mode to automatically turn on. Right now it asks permission at around 10%. Maybe even allow the user to select what it does (ie: grayscale, dim screen, etc.)
    + Automatic goal scaling
    + Inactivity meter (a few bands have this, it's a nice feature).
    + Ability to temporarily go full brightness on screen with extra tap or click. I have mine set to 5, would love to be able to just double-tap it to boost it for when in daylight. I don't believe it has a light sensor.

I'd recommend buying it with a protection plan. I got mine for $175+$30 at BB for 2years no questions replacement. Only reason I did it is because these bands are often made to the cheapest pricing and prone to failure. In fact, I traded my MS Band 2 straight across for this (also paid $175+$30 for that) because I had gone through 4 of those in 6 months.
    I picked it up a week ago (release day, the 10th), but just returned it. I never return things, and I hated returning this.
    My experiences:

GREAT:

-Easily the most comfortable fitting device I've ever had on my wrist, and with no clip, it doesn't scrape desks and laptop palm wrests, or is even noticeable as a lump on the wrist (complete opposite of my experience with my wife's Microsoft Band 2).
    -Screen is incredible, indoors, and not bad outside
    -Swipe navigation is smooth and responsive
    -The display wake gesture was pretty solid and responsive
    -The charger is awesome. Pulls device into place via magnet perfectly and works the same regardless of direction, the display shows time and charge, right side up both ways. Mount is stable and low-centered to sit on desk firmly, without being oversized or heavy. Charges extremely fast
    -GPS was dead on each day of my 42 mile daily bike commute, in comparison to my Wahoo ELEMNT cycling computer's GPS

MEH-ISH:

-The notifications were good, but limited details which required I go to the phone often to know what it was about. I understand it's a band and not a full blown smartwatch, so not really complaining
    -There wasn't much you could do with it as far as apps, but it's new and I'm sure that will change soon.
    -The auto-sleep detection didn't work well for me. If I watched TV before bed, it would count it as sleep, and if I got up in the middle of the night to pee and let the dogs out, it would end the sleep session, sometimes ignoring me going back to bed, other times counting them as separate sleeps. If I went into S Health to manually edit it, it was extremely buggy, wouldn't save, would lose the data, ect. I gave up trying. Since there was no manual sleep start/stop like you can with exercise, you have to go with the auto-detect.

BATTERY:

I ran mostly default settings as far as alerts/notifications 24/7 heart rate, ect. My 42 mile daily commute (~2 hrs) I would manually start the cycling mode with GPS and heart rate (ebike, video of my commute) lol and from that, after 24 hours, it would be down to around half battery. Each morning I would have a cup of coffee at my desk and charge it (<20 minutes). I'm the kind of person that needs habits or I forget. So, even if the device lasted 5 days, I would prefer to stick it on the charger at the same time every day to top it off as a routine. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it lasted a week, or a month+, if I need to travel, but as long as it easily lasts a day, I can be good with that, considering the fast charging. The Microsoft band 2 takes 1hr+ from my experience.

NOPE:

-The stopper, for me, was the locked down data for exercise. Heart rate data couldn't be viewed in the 1 second format anywhere but in a very basic graph on the S Health app and on the device. It doesn't even carry to Google Fit. Even though there's Strava sharing, export options, ect, it ONLY allows GPS and time stamp data out. Even in developer mode of the phone and app, I could only see the 24 hour heart rate samples, and random samples during the activity, nothing even close to the 1 second data, though better than the Microsoft Band's 1 minute heart rate data. Since my S7 doesn't have root, I gave up trying to get at the data.

DISCOVERY:

-Having bought it from Best Buy, I exchanged it for the Vivoactive hr. HOWEVER, after exchanging it, I noticed a Samsung rep in the store so I went to him to say how much I loved the Gear Fit 2, but I HAD to have access to the data, so returned it. He said something like: "Very soon there's a Tizen update coming that will open that data up via an API for the major fitness platforms, including Strava, who is already set up to receive that data once we update".

-Well, crap, wish I had known that before. The Vivoactive hr display is HORRIBLE, I have the brightness cranked and a custom, bold, white watch face to help me try and see it in dim areas. In the sun it's fine, because it reflects the light to see the numbers, but in the dark it's extremely hard for me to see. Also, the notifications are more like annoyifications because they keep re-notifying even after being dismissed, randomly.
    Is it possible to link HR chest strap to it via BT (for more accurate HR monitoring, would the watch use that info instead of the internal HR monitor?
    I don't believe so, currently. You would either need to merge the data manually into a file, or record them separately and merge them in something like GoldenCheetah. GF2 doesn't seem to accept external live data for activities, and doesn't transmit live data from activities to other apps that would allow you to also connect another HRM (that I know of). Maybe that will change with the Tizen update the Samsung rep spoke of.

How accurate is the HR monitor while running?
    I don't have run data, but I doubt many even have this, so I'll add it to try and help. Below (attached) is my cycling commute, comparing the Scosche to the GF2. The Scosche is pretty accurate, as I've compared it many times to a chest strap. The GF2 did well, however, it doesn't appear to be recording 1 second data, closer to 10 second data. I connected the Scosche to my cycling computer and started and ended it, along with the GF2 at the same time. I then pulled the raw data from both, and deleted all timestamps that didn't have values on both to allow the best comparison (see attachment)
    I have a nexus 6; that app does not show up in my apps to download in the Samsung app store
    looks like a bunch of other apps also show up for you but not for me..
    For some reason it isn't showing up on non-Samsung phones as I noted in an earlier post. I sense in support ticket about that already, yet I haven't heard back.

There is an issue of apps and 'faces' not showing for not Samsung phones. Should be fixed fast
    Only a fraction of the apps show up on non-Samsung devices for some reason too
    Ok, report here when you get some constant results..

BTW, first charging (not sure, was it fully charged?) lasts 2 full days. Used hardly :) - few trail "trainings" (~1hr each) with GPS, few workout session (~1hr each), played with settings, listened music, tryed some watchfaces.