Gear Live dead on arrival TWICE

Search This thread

Alemarius Nexus

Oct 30, 2014
Hi,

Two days ago, I got my first Samsung Gear Live. Ordered it directly from Google Play. When I wanted to start it by holding the button down a few seconds, it didn't react. I tried to charge it, but nothing seemed to happen: Nothing on the display, and the charger didn't get warm either, even after hours of charging (I tried multiple ones, and directly connecting it to USB on my PC). I thought that I was just out of luck and so I sent it back and got a replacement. Today, the replaced Gear Live arrived, and I have exactly the same problem. Not turning on, not charging, nothing. To find out if it was actually charging, I plugged it up to my lab power supply and found it drew ~330mA for a second, then stopped drawing anything at all. Sometimes it would decide to draw something again after 10 or 20 seconds, and sometimes it does so when I hit/hold the power button, but it will always stop shortly afterwards, and nothing else seems to happen.

Now, I have already called the support, and will hopefully get a third replacement soon. Just wanted to post this here to ask if anybody has experienced something like that. I can't believe I got two totally dead ones in a row. I'm still thinking I might have done something wrong, but... I mean, it's a smartwatch with a single button and a charging clip, what could possibly go wrong?

makakiel

Nov 6, 2007
Paris
I'm living the same! I just got the second and the watch won't charge or turn on!

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I think I begin to understand. Watches in stock inventories are discharged and can not take their loads!

Alemarius Nexus

Oct 30, 2014
Just got my THIRD watch, and surprise: Doesn't work either. Exactly the same problem. Won't turn on, won't charge. This time I will try to let it charge over night, maybe the battery decides to randomly start loading after hours, for whatever reason. I don't have much hope though.

Otherwise, I'll send it in and get my money back. I suppose I'll have to look out for other smartwatch models that I like then. It's just a shame, because I really like the design of the Gear Live.

makakiel

Nov 6, 2007
Paris
Just got my THIRD watch too, and guess what?: Doesn't work either. Exactly the same problem. Won't turn on, won't charge. so I ask to the support of google play to find a solution!

Software Guy

Jan 18, 2012
My 3rd is DOA. My first 2 worked though.
Here is what NOT to do with a smart watch that I can do with my citizen echo drive (took 3 years to break that but covered under the 5 year warranty).
Go shooting with it. I think I blew out the microphone because it stopped responding to voice commands.
Run a saws all. We have been building a deck and after a weekend of cutting wood, it stopped counting my steps.

I hope watch # 4 is good! I promise to be more gentle with it :eek:

duongdn

May 23, 2007
I'm waiting on my third RMA from Google. The other two were dead on arrival also. If the third one is DOA too, I may just ask for a refund or possibly getting the Asus Zen watch instead.

Riven

Jun 25, 2007
Same here: 2 consecutive DOAs

I had a watch with a broken charging clip and got a replacement. Guess what: DOA! So I send it back and got a second replacemente: Again DOA. So I was offered a refund.

It's irritating how many DOAs the have. Maybe the lion bats in the watches discharge to death and cannot be revived.

mmeidl78

May 6, 2010
Ulm
Got my second replacement to Germany via Google Play. Both of them DOA. I'm nearly sure, that the third Watch also would be DOA. Maybe I'm gonna make a uncut Movie like makakiel from the unboxing of the third replacement ...

Reactions: makakiel

jchoong

Jun 10, 2008
Singapore
I got my Gear Live from Google Japan and it worked OK for about 3 months. I usually turn it off in the evening and give it an overnight charge. Then a couple of weeks ago, it would not power up in the morning. I change to another charging station and after several hours, it was still dead. So, I RMA to Japan and got a replacement; my heart dropped when it was DOA. Am now arranging for a second RMA and if this again arrives DOA, then I will ask for a refund (but not sure whether this is easy enough to obtain in Japan).

I think Samsung has a big problem in their hands. Judging from what I have read, this power-up failure problem seems widespread. Is Google/Samsung doing anything about this?

jchoong

Jun 10, 2008
Singapore
I send the vidéo to google! and they don't really care ! ....

I sent my DOA Gear Live back to Google PlayStore Japan for a (yet another!) RMA replacement, but has been informed that they are out-of-stock and I have to wait for replenishments to arrive. I guess the Samsung Gear Live is at the end of its production cycle - a short one indeed!

dglacier

Mar 30, 2015
same here, possible solution

Hi,

Two days ago, I got my first Samsung Gear Live. Ordered it directly from Google Play. When I wanted to start it by holding the button down a few seconds, it didn't react. I tried to charge it, but nothing seemed to happen: Nothing on the display, and the charger didn't get warm either, even after hours of charging (I tried multiple ones, and directly connecting it to USB on my PC). I thought that I was just out of luck and so I sent it back and got a replacement. Today, the replaced Gear Live arrived, and I have exactly the same problem. Not turning on, not charging, nothing. To find out if it was actually charging, I plugged it up to my lab power supply and found it drew ~330mA for a second, then stopped drawing anything at all. Sometimes it would decide to draw something again after 10 or 20 seconds, and sometimes it does so when I hit/hold the power button, but it will always stop shortly afterwards, and nothing else seems to happen.

Now, I have already called the support, and will hopefully get a third replacement soon. Just wanted to post this here to ask if anybody has experienced something like that. I can't believe I got two totally dead ones in a row. I'm still thinking I might have done something wrong, but... I mean, it's a smartwatch with a single button and a charging clip, what could possibly go wrong?

I plugged in the watch for a few minutes, then pressed the button. It will show the battery and that it was charging and then it would go away. It looks like it was way too drained. I would unplug and plug it back in and I will do the same and then it would turn off again. Eventually I just left it for a longer time and when I press the button multiple times it loaded. I was able to do the setup and then it went from 40 percent to life 3%.knowing that it have worked it before this time I let it charge for a few hours. when I got home I turned it on and it worked. The first day it only last me 10 hours. I read lithium batteries reach their full potential after two to three charges. are you at least getting the battery icon or charging icon on the screen?. basically plug in for a few minutes like around 3 minutes and then press the button a few times and see if anything shows up so at least you know it's not totally dead

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my second replacement to Germany via Google Play. Both of them DOA. I'm nearly sure, that the third Watch also would be DOA. Maybe I'm gonna make a uncut Movie like makakiel from the unboxing of the third replacement ...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone