Gear S3 (or any Gear devices) Incompatibility issue with Android P solved!

Search This thread

Jackz314

Oct 11, 2016
I've noticed the incompatibility issue as soon as Android P came out, but never got the time to dig into the problem, now I finally took some time, and recompiled several APKs so that the gear app can work on Android P now. For details about what this problem is about, please take a look at my thread here, and the rest of the discussions, basically Samsung is "sneaky" and used some private kind of API that was deprecated when Android P came out, so the app would naturally crash every time you try to set up a device, and because of Samsung's laziness, this problem never got solved. (I tried to contact Samsung several times and nobody seems to care)
Anyways, I've attached the APKs here, and you have to install all of them (with the same signature, from me) to make the app work because of APK signature issues, otherwise after installing the main Gear app, the other needed plugins, and service apps will fail to install (I still don't know how Samsung managed to do that).

I've included the plugin APKs for Gear S series, Gear Fit2, Gear IconX, and Gear IconX 2018, please download the corresponding ones for your devices.

If you failed to install any of these APKs, make sure you uninstall all the other Samsung related apps first, as some of them seem to be able to block these installs somehow.
Enjoy!:)

PS: Samsung Pay is not working with the recompiled APKs at the moment, probably because of the different signatures on the APKs, any ideas on how to fix this?

PPS: I've also included my keystore file (my.keystore). In case you have other Gear devices, just go to APK Mirror or whatever you prefer and download the corresponding plugin APK, resign them with this keystore file and install it with the Gear App, then it should work (resign APK simple tutorial, detailed tutorial, remember to replace the keystore's name and password with the corresponding ones. Password for the keystore file when resigning: 314151)

Last edited:

thgood

Nov 2, 2007
Your APK files worked on my Pixel XL w/ Android P. Thanks for taking the time to share your work!

dsmitty166

Aug 31, 2010
Sioux Center, Iowa
I've noticed the incompatibility issue as soon as Android P came out, but never got the time to dig into the problem, now I finally took some time, and recompiled several APKs so that the gear app can work on Android P now. For details about what this problem is about, please take a look at my thread here, and the rest of the discussions, basically Samsung is "sneaky" and used some private kind of API that was deprecated when Android P came out, so the app would naturally crash every time you try to set up a device, and because of Samsung's laziness, this problem never got solved. (I tried to contact Samsung several times and nobody seems to care)
Anyways, I've attached the APKs here, and you have to install all of them (with the same signature, from me) to make the app work because of APK signature issues, otherwise after installing the main Gear app, the other needed plugins, and service apps will fail to install (I still don't know how Samsung managed to do that).
PS: I've also included my keystore file (my.keystore) in case someone wants to resign other gear apps, they should work as well (tutorial)
PPS: I noticed that Samsung Pay is not working with the recompiled APKs, probably because of the different signatures, any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for the upload, however, I cannot use your keystore file without the password :(

Magnum80

May 14, 2018
Thanks for the help, managed to get the app to work however I've noticed that Samsung health won't sync steps with my gear S3, even though everything seems to be connected

Reactions: MasterTB

SubliminalME

Mar 23, 2011
Princeton
So i got it running, but it doesn't appear to be pushing anything to the watch...its not tracking my steps, and it's not giving me notifications.

Any additional thoughts? hehe...thank you in advance!

damon

Reactions: MasterTB

DeskPixel

May 15, 2018
I just found this thread, it's exactly what I was looking for! But I'm pretty noob when it comes to these things, to make it work do I simply uninstall all the Samsung apps from my phone and install these ones? That's all and it should work?

TOWWTC

Feb 18, 2015
Thank you so much for this!

Not that I am skilled at this or anything but I've been tinkering around with Samsung Pay to see if I could get it to work. I downloaded an older version of it (1.2) and resigned it using your keystore file. I am greeted with the "Insert Simcard" and "Access Denied...Samsung Pay has been locked due to an unauthorized modification" notices. Hitting "OK" closes the application, of course.

SubliminalME

Mar 23, 2011
Princeton
Ok, so i've ironed out everything, with the exception of the step counter...it just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Anyone have any luck with that?

TOWWTC

Feb 18, 2015
The installation screen does show up and then it hangs at around the 80 percent mark. It then says not installed.

Could you reinstall the Samsung Gear app from the app store -> Force Close -> Clear Cache/Clear Storage -> Uninstall app -> Restart device -> Install APKs from drive folder.

Sorry if you have done the above already but it's strange that the installation hangs for your device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've included the plugin APKs for Gear S series, Gear Fit2, Gear IconX, and Gear IconX 2018, please download the corresponding ones for your devices.

If you failed to install any of these APKs, make sure you uninstall all the other Samsung related apps first, as some of them seem to be able to block these installs somehow.

PS: Samsung Pay is not working with the recompiled APKs at the moment, probably because of the different signatures on the APKs, any ideas on how to fix this?

PPS: I've also included my keystore file (my.keystore). In case you have other Gear devices, just go to APK Mirror or whatever you prefer and download the corresponding plugin APK, resign them with this keystore file and install it with the Gear App, then it should work (resign APK simple tutorial, detailed tutorial, remember to replace the keystore's name and password with the corresponding ones. Password for the keystore file when resigning: 314151)
    Hi Folks,

By Installing/updating new Samsung Wear, I can confirm Gear s3 is now working fine with Android P including Samsung health.
    They just released an update last night that fixed connectivity issues, Samsung Gear = Galaxy Wear. Unfortunately I still had Samsung pay issues but got around the issue by downloading an apk and it forced a Samsung pay update for the plug in. Everything works normal now.

Edit: this is the specific apk I installed that asked to update which worked.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...g-pay-for-gear-1-6-8906-android-apk-download/
    More Plugins

Can you PLEASE do a plug-in for the Great fit 2?

So I'm running P on my Pixel and had removed all traces of Samsung Apps. I installed the APK's in this thread and they installed fine.
    When I run Gear, and try to connect to my Gear fit 2, it asks for a plugin. But I've already installed the plugin apk in this thread.
    Any suggestions? I have tried resets, deleting cache etc, all the usual fixes.
    I'm at a loss.

I got tired of the bug and figured out how to resign the apk's.

I've created versions of the plugins for the Gear S, Gear Fit 2, Gear Icon, and Gear Icon (2018). I didn't see any others on the Play store. You can find the new versions in my Google Drive.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtTA4lKTo6vxSZhnvmyVkf38ovP_NyM5

I do not think that these will automatically get updated. The Play Store may try, but then fail. If you see this happen, check the update notes for a Android P related note. If so, then uninstall these custom apk's and then reinstall the apps from the Play Store.
    After having my Gear Sport start to glitch after the P update on my Pixel (and not knowing about the incompatibility issue) I reset my gear. Then I was stuck. When I tried to connect the Samsung Gear app to my Sport, it would crash every single time. Wasted an hour of my life chatting with Samsung support, and while doing so, did a search in the play store for the Samsung plugin. I came across an app called "Galaxy Wearable" by Samsung. I installed that, and now I'm back up and running. This is what we should be using now, not Samsung Gear. No idea why they didn't know that. *eye roll*

ETA: Apparently Galaxy Wearable is the new Samsung Gear app.