Gear S3 Root and Kernel Source! (Android Wear Port Thread)

Search This thread

Cyb3rli8n

Mar 6, 2022
In case others want the firmware, I have uploaded it here https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603915888
Hello,
Sorry I'm new here and it's a little bit old reply but I have install this firmware with NetOdin in order to downgrade my galaxy watch active but now, I'm stuck in the "let's go" page and I cant connect the watch to my phone and wifi dosent work.
I tried to install another firmware but in 'Download (wireless)' AP mode return me an error "failed to load soft ap".
Please can somebody has already had this problem ?
Thanks

lightyHD

Sep 26, 2017
Hello together,

sry I'm new to this thread and I'm also not the most active user of xda at all.
I would need some help here, is there a way to search in the thread for a successful port? Is there one anyway?

If it's not possible to search for it, could anyone please link the post to the successful port again pls? Tbh I'm to lazy to read through 52 sites.

Thanks in advice

dugger42032

Oct 4, 2017
I am trying to bypass reactivation lock on they lost and found gear S3 frontier and I cannot find the correct combination firmware it gets up to the ADB part where it starts after ADB root on after that command it won't go over no worries any ideas any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong greatly be appreciated thank you

mayanknshah

Mar 3, 2012
Hi. Looking for help if it is possible to downgrade from 4.0.0.7 to 4.0.0.4 .. By mistake i did a reset and agreed for s/w upgrade, now unable to use samsung pay.

mattygaga2012

Hey guys, can someone give me an update as to where we are at in terms of a working (or mostly functional) port of WearOS for the Gear S3? Has anyone successfully ported this over yet? If so, share some links to downloads and a little instructions! If not, keep up the hard work guys you're all doing great!!

mattygaga2012

Hey guys! Some of you might know me from the LG G5 scene, but I have since moved on from there and am hoping to make some progress with the Gear S3 :)

After doing some digging and paying zero attention in class today, I came across the kernel source files for the Exynos 7270 and the combination firmwares for the Gear 3 Classic and Frontier versions.

If you don't know what combination files are here (link removed) is a great explanation but the TL;DR is that this is the internal firmware Samsung uses to reset devices, so it gives you full read/write access to the device including root access. So basically this is a pre-rooted firmware, and I assume that it is bootloader unlocked as it appears to flash an engineer sboot (bootloader), so I believe this would be the first step towards porting Android Wear/TWRP!

The kernel source is what we will actually use to port over AW/TWRP. It does not seem to have been posted before, and took me a few hours of digging to find. My watch comes in tomorrow, and after I flash this firmware I will pull the boot.img and start making a device/vendor tree to attempt and make a kernel!

Here is the kernel source for the Exynos 7270: https://github.com/HonestlyAnnoying/tizen_kernel_exynos7270
Here is the kernel source for the Gear S3 (all versions) (will upload to GitHub in the morning): Samsung Opensource
Here is the SM-R770 (Classic) combination firmware [R770XXU2BQC2]: link
Here is the SM-R760 (Frontier) combination firmware [R760XXU2BQC2]: link

The road to porting Android Wear is going to take a lot of work, and any help developing (not testing for now!) would be EXTREMELY appreciated (looking at you guys @cipherswitch @biktor_gj !;)). If you would like to help with development or would like to contribute in any way, please PM me or hit me up on Skype (honestly.annoying)!

Here is a Google Drive folder with all files I have for this, it will be updated as new things are found
Hey guys, can someone give me an update as to where we are at in terms of a working (or mostly functional) port of WearOS for the Gear S3? Has anyone successfully ported this over yet? If so, share some links to downloads and a little instructions! If not, keep up the hard work guys you're all doing great!!

juan11u3

Nov 22, 2022
Hello, any news for the models SM-R800, or SM-R805 , the galaxy watch 46mm ?
If you need to test something in this models i can do it but i have not much expierience

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys! Some of you might know me from the LG G5 scene, but I have since moved on from there and am hoping to make some progress with the Gear S3 :)

After doing some digging and paying zero attention in class today, I came across the kernel source files for the Exynos 7270 and the combination firmwares for the Gear 3 Classic and Frontier versions.

If you don't know what combination files are here (link removed) is a great explanation but the TL;DR is that this is the internal firmware Samsung uses to reset devices, so it gives you full read/write access to the device including root access. So basically this is a pre-rooted firmware, and I assume that it is bootloader unlocked as it appears to flash an engineer sboot (bootloader), so I believe this would be the first step towards porting Android Wear/TWRP!

The kernel source is what we will actually use to port over AW/TWRP. It does not seem to have been posted before, and took me a few hours of digging to find. My watch comes in tomorrow, and after I flash this firmware I will pull the boot.img and start making a device/vendor tree to attempt and make a kernel!

Here is the kernel source for the Exynos 7270: https://github.com/HonestlyAnnoying/tizen_kernel_exynos7270
    Here is the kernel source for the Gear S3 (all versions) (will upload to GitHub in the morning): Samsung Opensource
    Here is the SM-R770 (Classic) combination firmware [R770XXU2BQC2]: link
    Here is the SM-R760 (Frontier) combination firmware [R760XXU2BQC2]: link

The road to porting Android Wear is going to take a lot of work, and any help developing (not testing for now!) would be EXTREMELY appreciated (looking at you guys @cipherswitch @biktor_gj !;)). If you would like to help with development or would like to contribute in any way, please PM me or hit me up on Skype (honestly.annoying)!

Here is a Google Drive folder with all files I have for this, it will be updated as new things are found
    Update: have flashed this, can confirm it has root access!! :D Pulling images now
    Code:
    SDB 2.2.60

Old, but in my eyes best SDB Version... because easy handling with right Mouse Button to mark, copy & paste.

I have added for few OSes.. with WiFi Instruction...

Maybe helpfull.

Btw.
    I have used this Version also with Tizen 3 and Tizen 4...
    For me most main features work. :good:

Like:
    Code:
    sdb root on
    sdb shell
    sdb pull
    sdb push

Best Regards

Edit 1.
    Nice Video for enable Debugging Option... to enable SDB communication... mandatory:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_m3wsF7Ozs

Edit 2.
    Added Video... how to find:
    Code:
    Debugging
    IP address

Edit 3.
    Added Video... as example.
    How to connect SDB with device...
    Here example how to connect to remote device in RTL service... ;)
    To local device "similar"...

Edit 4.
    The most important part to connect SDB with device over WiFi is described inside here:
    Code:
    [B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]Guidelines_on_Connecting_GearS2_device_using_WiFi.pdf
    Guidelines_on_Connecting_GearS2_device_using_WiFi_151222.pdf[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    Please read FIRST! ;)
    1 Way to change CSC... Sales Code.

Tested by me with my SM-R760 with Wireless/WiFi only.
    NO USB cable required.

Important.
    Check if Reactivation Lock is OFF...
    Own risk!
    Maybe sideeffects with RL on...

Step 1.
    Combination Firmware:
    BQC2
    https://xdaforums.com/gear-s3/development/rom-samsung-gear-s3-sm-r760-t3588082

Step 2.
    Flash CSC only! From Retail/Stock Firmware...
    I have taken from BQH1...
    https://xdaforums.com/gear-s3/development/oxa-rom-gear-s3-r760-t3695150
    Code:
    CSC_OXA_R760OXA2BQH1_usr.tar.md5

Step 3.
    Factory Reset/Recovery

To take effect of new CSC...

Step 4.
    CSC Preconfig
    Code:
    *#272*719434266344#

Simple enter this Code...

I have set XAR for US region...
    You can choose what ever you want... own risk.

Step 5.
    Now flash complete Firmware of your Choice.
    In my case I have now used all files from BQH1.

BQH1 is at the moment latest Firmware for US regiaon with Sales Code XAR...

Best Regards
    Does it actually work? I suppose that Knox will be triggered with root onboard, so currently this is most important point - SPay

It works after flashing back to my stock firmware. This firmware package is EXTREMELY limited to what it can do (eg. can't connect to a phone, all apps are disabled), it is mainly just for Samsung (and now us lol) to debug with and learn about how the boot process works with the root shell.

The goal is to eventually:

1. Build a working custom TIZEN kernel
    2. Build an Android kernel that boots up
    3. Port over TWRP/enable ADB through recovery
    4. Start working on Android Wear

At this point I'm just trying to build a kernel with the sources I have, once that is done the real fun can begin ;)