Gen5W for HKMC root access

Search This thread

gen5w

Feb 14, 2022
Hello guys! I am a bit tired today to explain all the details, we will be writing a better post soon. But for now this will have to suffice.

TL; DR;
We are going public on how to hack the headunit for HKMC vehicles. This applies to pretty much all Gen5W models, requires no soldering, and yeah, its fun I guess.
This is pretty much for devs tho, so if you expect to run youtube with this today, sorry, but not yet. It will be possible tho, but so far we were focused on getting the access.

What is all this about?​

This project aims to give users ownership of the headunit on their cars. You paid for your car, you own it. That includes its computers. With this project we aim to provide you with the ability to extend your stock functionality on certain korean models.

We are not on this for commercial gain, however, you can use whatever we've learnt so far to build and sell CFW if you wish, that is up to you. I only ask that you contribute back and share your findings. Basically, open source mentality between us here. We all want the same at the end of the day, which is completely owning our cars and the systems on it.

• We do not sell the access to the hack.
  • We do not sell the tools to get access to the system.
  • We share our knowledge.
You can:

• Build and sell your CFW using the tools / knowledge that comes from collaborating. (Please, strongly consider sharing how things are done so we can attract more developers when we decide to go "public")
Also, consider safety first. Let's try not allow non-technical people to drive while watching netflix. But this is completely to your discretion.

Tha Links

We will be posting things on the forums, but if you want to start doing stuff, that's where we have it. Good luck, and please share back whatever you find / learn.

EDIT: We have a new face!, you can find relevant links there as well as some troubleshooting! https://g4933.gitlab.io/wideopen

Last edited:

SonicSpinner

Oct 11, 2008
im a bit too tired to repost the images here :D
but i have posted them here

Reactions: Gega27 and am_ur

trannamptv

Sep 20, 2020
Hello guys! I am a bit tired today to explain all the details, we will be writing a better post soon. But for now this will have to suffice.

TL; DR;
We are going public on how to hack the headunit for HKMC vehicles. This applies to pretty much all Gen5W models, requires no soldering, and yeah, its fun I guess.
This is pretty much for devs tho, so if you expect to run youtube with this today, sorry, but not yet. It will be possible tho, but so far we were focused on getting the access.

What is all this about?​

This project aims to give users ownership of the headunit on their cars. You paid for your car, you own it. That includes its computers. With this project we aim to provide you with the ability to extend your stock functionality on certain korean models.

We are not on this for commercial gain, however, you can use whatever we've learnt so far to build and sell CFW if you wish, that is up to you. I only ask that you contribute back and share your findings. Basically, open source mentality between us here. We all want the same at the end of the day, which is completely owning our cars and the systems on it.

You can:

• Build and sell your CFW using the tools / knowledge that comes from collaborating. (Please, strongly consider sharing how things are done so we can attract more developers when we decide to go "public")
Also, consider safety first. Let's try not allow non-technical people to drive while watching netflix. But this is completely to your discretion.

Tha Links

We will be posting things on the forums, but if you want to start doing stuff, that's where we have it. Good luck, and please share back whatever you find / learn.
hello good friend. Do you have any information about HU Gen5w using Motrex's android 9.0 backend?

gen5w

Feb 14, 2022
Gen5Premium has different encryption key i guess. All files are empty
Just to be clear, did you extract a key already from the unit? I haven’t included any decryption binary nor key on the gitlab, the files you see there (DecryptToPIPE & the .DER file) are just placeholders, read te contents of those files for details

hello good friend. Do you have any information about HU Gen5w using Motrex's android 9.0 backend?
American Units actually use Android, but I don’t think it’s that latest android tho. In any case i know somebody else is working with android units but I don’t know how far they are

gen5w

Feb 14, 2022
Ah, that's it. You need to dump headunits software first.
So decryption key is uniq for each car?
Not entirely sure. Nobody has yet found the key besides me (or haven’t spoken up) so I can’t compare if keys are unique across units. But the key in your unit will be able to decrypt all gen5w updates up to date. To get the key you don’t need to dump the whole software, it’s enough to just rename a program in the unit, put a shell script where that program was , once called, get the args passed to the script (you’ll have one of the args as a path) copy the content of that path to your usb and then lastly call the original program so the process works as expected for the headunit. (Man in the middle).

The reason we don’t share the key (or the DecryptToPIPE software) it’s because that might be copyrighted material, and we are avoiding any copyright infringement.

Tank-piercing

Jan 7, 2008
I don't have AppNavi update option in Engeneering Mode > Dynamics > Navigation.
There is no Config section. I checked the rest with no luck.
210513 firmware. Should i update to 220210?

yahya af

Jan 19, 2012
Can anyone decode the Appengineermode app from the February update?

DNA.USA.S5W_M.V007.001.211123
model
DN8AS.S5BMC.D4US
platfrom
standard-class Gen5W Navigation

Attachments

• תמונה של WhatsApp‏ 2022-03-10 בשעה 08.23.04.jpg
    תמונה של WhatsApp‏ 2022-03-10 בשעה 08.23.04.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 158

larry_bml

Feb 9, 2011
Hello guys, I want to tell you my story, and I need a little help from you also :
My car : Kia Sportage QLE Gen5 navi, updated to sw : 211029 fw : 210930
After update , no way to find pin for engineering mode, only dealer mode with pin 2400 and 7,3,1 volume combination. But with navigation hack, showed in this thread I managed to enter engineering, and managed to make adb to work on ethernet, but the only way to do adb to work was by installing an USB to Ethernet converter into USB, connect and ethernet cable between converter and my laptop. Don't know for sure if it is necessary or not, but after installing everything ( usb, cable, etc) I made an Reset to factory . Connected the wifi of unit and phone to house router, and finally was able to install apps with Easy fire tools.
I manage to install boot hack and now when I press 2 times on SETUP is going to engineering menu, and from there I can access all other applications that I have installed ( file manager, soundabout).
So I hope someone else who wants , can now get adb to work and install what he wants.

Now I want to ask the ones who already managed to install apps, if they can help my with some apps that are tested and working OK : I need an IPTV software, I installed GSE IPTV, with was working ok before upgrade, but now it does not start playing, only loads m3u list, you can select channel, but .. not start. Youtube working has anyone? I installed an older version, but it say it can not work without google services. And last, is there a way to add shortcuts to apps in oem menu? or a way to quick access them? or something like task manager? not to be forced every time to go to all apps and start app from there?

Thank you, end if someone needs more help with adb to work, and did not understood complete what I said, please fell free to ask, if I can I help with pleasure.

Reactions: eried and gen5w

emravc

Sep 7, 2021
I downloaded the my20 update for xceed, but the installation checks update files section gives an error at %30 and I still could not update. Can you help me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TL; DR;

What is all this about?​

You can:

Tha Links

EDIT: We have a new face!, you can find relevant links there as well as some troubleshooting! https://g4933.gitlab.io/wideopen
    im a bit too tired to repost the images here :D
    but i have posted them here

FYI: I've updated the repo and added the method to extract encryption keys for the updates:

https://gitlab.com/g4933/gen5w/navi...REMELY_RISKY_BECAREFUL/spoof_decrypttopipe.sh

Hello guys, I want to tell you my story, and I need a little help from you also :
    My car : Kia Sportage QLE Gen5 navi, updated to sw : 211029 fw : 210930
    After update , no way to find pin for engineering mode, only dealer mode with pin 2400 and 7,3,1 volume combination. But with navigation hack, showed in this thread I managed to enter engineering, and managed to make adb to work on ethernet, but the only way to do adb to work was by installing an USB to Ethernet converter into USB, connect and ethernet cable between converter and my laptop. Don't know for sure if it is necessary or not, but after installing everything ( usb, cable, etc) I made an Reset to factory . Connected the wifi of unit and phone to house router, and finally was able to install apps with Easy fire tools.
    I manage to install boot hack and now when I press 2 times on SETUP is going to engineering menu, and from there I can access all other applications that I have installed ( file manager, soundabout).
    So I hope someone else who wants , can now get adb to work and install what he wants.

Now I want to ask the ones who already managed to install apps, if they can help my with some apps that are tested and working OK : I need an IPTV software, I installed GSE IPTV, with was working ok before upgrade, but now it does not start playing, only loads m3u list, you can select channel, but .. not start. Youtube working has anyone? I installed an older version, but it say it can not work without google services. And last, is there a way to add shortcuts to apps in oem menu? or a way to quick access them? or something like task manager? not to be forced every time to go to all apps and start app from there?

Thank you, end if someone needs more help with adb to work, and did not understood complete what I said, please fell free to ask, if I can I help with pleasure.
    more info to come