[Gen8] ICS on Gen8 (A70S) preview

Search This thread

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Hi All,

Here is a quick preview of my first ICS build running on my A70S:

It's smoother than my initial run, I figured that 3D drivers were not kicked in when I made the comment on my other thread.

It's quite smooth even though there is some slowness from time to time. As it is, it's not usable, there are some crashes because network and sound are not working, but it's quite encouraging.

I may focus on Gen8 more than Gen9 finally as Gen9 will have Archos upgrade. Currently, only 3D and touchscreen are working... Don't expect much, I don't have enough time to work on this to make significant progress quickly.

bojzi

Dec 26, 2009
Zagreb
Looks great, that launcher is really smooth and it looks like a completely new OS.
Is there any chance that other talented developers working on the Archos will also jump on this with you? $aur0n, divx118, chulri? :)

Reactions: trance_sh

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Well, as expected, ram usage is sky high but it's almost untuned... I don't know yet if we can make progress regarding this.

I want first to have wifi and audio working, it should give enough stability to start playing with it. Then, todo list is huge...

Things that are going to be difficult is hdmi, ics doesn't like much the current clone model, and supporting other tablets as kernel changes are required for touch screen.

We'll see... Too bad that I have a job :)

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Awesome!

Great work man! Looking forward to a full release_

-------------------------------
Sent from my HTC Desire S

PotentChili

Jan 5, 2011
YES!

This... Is amazing.. I never thought I'd see the day where even Honeycomb was running on the tablet. I really hope the main devs here see this and maybe combine. It's awesome having such a fine-tuned and packed UrukDroid, and it's pretty great finally seeing Gingerbread on our devices, but I think this is the true goal now!.. But that's just me :(

scholbert

Aug 1, 2007
Hey letama,

now i know what you meant with good news coming...:D
It's smoother than my initial run, I figured that 3D drivers were not kicked in when I made the comment on my other thread.
Could you tell, which driver set you integrated?
I also searched for ICS distributions for OMAP3630 base devices.
Couldn't find any 3D libraries yet...

It's quite smooth even though there is some slowness from time to time. As it is, it's not usable, there are some crashes because network and sound are not working, but it's quite encouraging.
Am i right by assuming you used the 2.6.35 kernel sources?
I guess we'll need some efforts in the drivers, especially the tiwlan stuff, which should be build externally.

I may focus on Gen8 more than Gen9 finally as Gen9 will have Archos upgrade. Currently, only 3D and touchscreen are working... Don't expect much, I don't have enough time to work on this to make significant progress quickly.
This is a start... and a pretty amazing one!!!

Hopefully i'll find some time the next weeks to look into the kernel sources more intensely.
Anyway, it will be no easy task to add the missing parts.
For the HDMI i guess there is a dead end, because there's still one proprietary module which might not work with newer kernel.
Maybe it could work on top of the GPL'ed parts which where published and might get compiled for newer kernel.
But who cares now...

Really impressive work!!!

Congratulations and best regards,

scholbert

Last edited:

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Hi Scholbert!

;)

I guess we'll need some efforts in the drivers, especially the tiwlan stuff, which should be build externally.

No, in fact, this is 2.6.29 with Archos 3D binaries. ICS is patched to support old drivers, partly the same way it has been done in cm9 for other devices. I didn't test the .35 yet, I suspended my work on it in the middle, I'm not even sure touchscreen was working.

.35 would be good, I'm having few crashes in 3D drivers currently. I'm not sure yet if they're related to memory or bad interaction somewhere, still trying to get audio and wifi first.

Wifi should be relatively easy, i'm not very far. Audio is more complex, I tried simple solutions and it won't cut it, but with TI and Nexus S sources, we should be able to do something. Could take time though.

For the HDMI i guess there is a dead end, because there's still one proprietary module which might not work with newer kernel.

Well, with the new A70s coming with Honeycomb, we may be able to steal some binaries for 2.6.35 (or even 3.0 if Archos upgrade them to ICS). They're also 3630, and we should get the kernel source code someday.

Thanks!

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Can you upload the rom just for testing features of ics ? It looks very good, great job !

Well, as it is, it's not usable. It crashes a lot and you can't do much without network.

I'd like to have at least wifi and if I can sound. Wifi to be able to do something with the tablet, sound because lots of crashes and slowness are coming from missing sound.

If it takes too much time, I'll release it but be warned that it's worthless currently.

Reactions: l'irlandais

arkade91

Nov 16, 2011
Etiolles
Well, as it is, it's not usable. It crashes a lot and you can't do much without network.

I'd like to have at least wifi and if I can sound. Wifi to be able to do something with the tablet, sound because lots of crashes and slowness are coming from missing sound.

If it takes too much time, I'll release it but be warned that it's worthless currently.

Yes you're right, i hoped never get honeycomb or ICS on our tablet... take your time, it's already a very good news that ics running on our old archos gen8 ... THANKS !

Sent from my A101IT using xda premium

GPHENOM

Feb 20, 2011
Where can I donate?!?

Very good work, I never thought that this would happen.
Honeycomb was not realistic but now I have hope for something better ;)

Reactions: letama

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Thanks GPhenom for thinking about donation, but I can't accept for now, I'm not even sure I'll be able to release something.

We'll see, but there is lots of work before having something usable.

indigolemon

Feb 7, 2011
Dunfermline
Promising start man! Kudos for getting it running at all :)

Sent from my openAOS Build of Android 2.3 (cyanogenmod edition) using xda premium

AlphaTime

May 12, 2011
This look cool

Can you make source repo (git) for this please
I would like to build it and test to get wifi and so working

and good work

Reactions: coen22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Here is a quick preview of my first ICS build running on my A70S:

If I were only this far... :(
    Did you compile it from source or did you use an image from letama?

I have Compiled it first from Source but this dosnt work correct :(

Then i use letams Build with OpenAOS Multiboot Menu
    and changed in menu.lst

"ICS||/recovery.img|/init|1

and it boot ICS on Gen8 101 :)
    Hi Scholbert!

;)

No, in fact, this is 2.6.29 with Archos 3D binaries. ICS is patched to support old drivers, partly the same way it has been done in cm9 for other devices. I didn't test the .35 yet, I suspended my work on it in the middle, I'm not even sure touchscreen was working.

.35 would be good, I'm having few crashes in 3D drivers currently. I'm not sure yet if they're related to memory or bad interaction somewhere, still trying to get audio and wifi first.

Wifi should be relatively easy, i'm not very far. Audio is more complex, I tried simple solutions and it won't cut it, but with TI and Nexus S sources, we should be able to do something. Could take time though.

Well, with the new A70s coming with Honeycomb, we may be able to steal some binaries for 2.6.35 (or even 3.0 if Archos upgrade them to ICS). They're also 3630, and we should get the kernel source code someday.

Thanks!
    the app closing is usually the android market

EDIT: also i tried to rotate the screen it dont work :/

Ah, market, not very surprising... I just added the ICS google apps quickly just to have a look,

Screen rotation is normal too, no sensors yet.

The only things that work is accelerated graphics/touchscreen on A70/wifi, that's all. The to-do list is huge. On top of my head:

- Web browser (crashes because of missing OpenGL extension)
    - Audio (don't know yet what's missing)
    - Audio/Video Codecs (dsp support won't be easy)
    - Sensors
    - Power management
    - Memory tuning
    Looks great, that launcher is really smooth and it looks like a completely new OS.
    Is there any chance that other talented developers working on the Archos will also jump on this with you? $aur0n, divx118, chulri? :)