• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General advice on buying this phone

Search This thread

creborn

Jan 29, 2016
So, I'm in a market for a new phone, and my current best bet is the xiaomi mi 10T pro. Now, since it's locked on my local telecom provider network, I can get it with a new 2 year contract, so no returns possible. Reading tons of reviews, and user experiences, I came to conclusion that it's a great hardware phone with a really crappy sowtware. The phone I cvan get has a MIUI12 version, but they can't say is it 12.0 or 12.5.

What are my concerns? I see that the biggest issues is car bluetooth connectivity, and WiFi connectivity. Both major issues for me.
I have a 2012 renault Scenic that doesn't use android auto, but a proprietary (arkamys and tomtom) system. If the phone comes with android 10, and I don't install any updates until a less buggy version of android 11 MIUI comes out.. should I be ok? Or if the system is android 11 out of the box.. Should I expect constant problems and simply avoid the phone? Are all xiaomi phones running MIUI12.5.1. affected?

Custom ROMs are not an option because that would void the 2 year warranty.

thank you

Reactions: BaconTrousers
The Mi10T Pro is an excellent choice that gets better with every update.

I actually hated this phone a lot when I bought it due to the auto screen dimming being too harsh, so I also bought a Samsung Galaxy 20 FE 5G, then a P30 Pro, then a Poco F2 Pro and finally a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (& I tested them all equally) What I found was I hate under screen fingerprint sensors (the side mounted fingerprint sensor detection on the Mi10T Pro is instant) and despite the camera arrays on all the other phones being 'on paper' better I found the Xiaomi phone 'on average' took better shots. Also video recording is night and day better than all the other phones I tested with very little shimmer and balance correction/focus when the light started to get low.

As for MIUI I have never had an issue apart from the woefully lacking security updates but hopefully now I've manually updated to 12.5.5 (I was on Jan 2020 update waiting for an EU 12.5.1 from 12.1.1) updates should come quicker (& it's very stable)

As for connectivity I have not encountered any issues with Bluetooth streaming or connecting to headphones but I do not have the accessories you connect to.

Lastly the prices for these phones should drop like a stone as they have just announced the Mi11T & Pro so you may find it cheaper to buy one used after the Mi11T & Pro is released.

creborn

Jan 29, 2016
So.. you say I should go for it...Current price is around 270$.. Don't believe it will drop that much... more likely it will get taken out of the offer.

paul999

Jul 28, 2007
the main negative aspect of this phone is the camera... i came from lg v20 because it was the latest flagship phone with the infrared feature. a five years old phone still takes better pictures then the 10t pro... you rarely use the 108mp cam because the software sucks. so you are stuck with 13mp... also, this phone is missing some basic features like you cant plug and play using type-c to hdmi output....but for the price, is definitely a nice cheap phone to have for work maybe lol. or use it as a universal remote haha

Last edited:

creborn

Jan 29, 2016
I came from a huawei P7 phone...gone to samsung A30... Anything is better than A30. I don't need any special bells and whistles.. just that the bluetooth connectivity works, and GPS signal is stable..

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017
the main negative aspect of this phone is the camera... i came from lg v20 because it was the latest flagship phone with the infrared feature. a five years old phone still takes better pictures then the 10t pro... you rarely use the 108mp cam because the software sucks. so you are stuck with 13mp... also, this phone is missing some basic features like you cant plug and play using type-c to hdmi output....but for the price, is definitely a nice cheap phone to have for work maybe lol. or use it as a universal remote haha
Change the Format to 3:4 in the drop down menu in Miui camera to have the pixel binned 27MP resolution.

creborn

Jan 29, 2016
So...I'm not getting any viable information here. If I get this phone, and keep it on android 10, ignoring updates, will the Bluetooth and WiFi work normally, and glitch free?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I'm in a market for a new phone, and my current best bet is the xiaomi mi 10T pro. Now, since it's locked on my local telecom provider network, I can get it with a new 2 year contract, so no returns possible. Reading tons of reviews, and user experiences, I came to conclusion that it's a great hardware phone with a really crappy sowtware. The phone I cvan get has a MIUI12 version, but they can't say is it 12.0 or 12.5.

What are my concerns? I see that the biggest issues is car bluetooth connectivity, and WiFi connectivity. Both major issues for me.
    I have a 2012 renault Scenic that doesn't use android auto, but a proprietary (arkamys and tomtom) system. If the phone comes with android 10, and I don't install any updates until a less buggy version of android 11 MIUI comes out.. should I be ok? Or if the system is android 11 out of the box.. Should I expect constant problems and simply avoid the phone? Are all xiaomi phones running MIUI12.5.1. affected?

Custom ROMs are not an option because that would void the 2 year warranty.

thank you