GENERAL CHAT!! All XDA'ers Welcome (noobs included) :)

Search This thread

john99ap

Sep 17, 2016
Download the .img file
Install first the older twrp in zip.
Then, boot in the old twrp and select Install > Install image and select the .img file you downloaded

Reactions: Kewl_one

Kewl_one

Dec 4, 2015
Dordrecht
Good morning again,
Thanks all who helped solve the problem, since it now works like a charm!
While for a while it seemed that it was getting from bad to worse... I finally solved it....
First I installed a cwrm backup from a year ago (there were 5 backups in the device that is why I did not have space left...)
This got me a normal working Android 4.4 and from there on it was easy sailing thanks to your help!
Now have the slimrom 6 working and I really cannot believe how smooth this build works, much faster than the 4.4...
So also a big hand for all that helped realize this rom!
Am contemplating buying another used Tab2 since it has a good battery life end nice screen and looks quite sturdy... But this one goed to my son... Hope he can play his games OK...
By the way is this the best build for this device or should I go Nougat?
Thanks again!

Last edited:

john99ap

Sep 17, 2016
Good morning again,
Thanks all who helped solve the problem, since it now works like a charm!
While for a while it seemed that it was getting from bad to worse... I finally solved it....
First I installed a cwrm backup from a year ago (there were 5 backups in the device that is why I did not have space left...)
This got me a normal working Android 4.4 and from there on it was easy sailing thanks to your help!
Now have the slimrom 6 working and I really cannot believe how smooth this build works, much faster than the 4.4...
So also a big hand for all that helped realize this rom!
Am contemplating buying another used Tab2 since it has a good battery life end nice screen and looks quite sturdy... But this one goed to my son... Hope he can play his games OK...
By the way is this the best build for this device or should I go Nougat?
Thanks again!

In my opinion Slim6 is the best rom. Nougat is a bit laggy.

penright

Mar 6, 2017
Understanding Tab 2 devices names

I having issue getting the right recovery image. I think it is because I do not understand the device names.
For example I see references to 51xx 31xx espresso and ...
This image got me rooted with stock recovery "CF-Auto-Root-espresso10att-espresso10uc-samsungsghi497.tar.md5"

I have tried "espresso-common_TWRP_3.1.0-2.tar.md5" and many others. I am trying to enter recovery menu the same way as stock and that might be an issue. The blue "recovery" flashes then shuts off. The tablet will boot if I let it.

I started posting on "https{too new for links}://androidforums.com/threads/keep-getting-system-recovery-3e-even-after-factory-resets.1172390/"]Keep getting system recovery <3e> even after factory resets[/URL]
Here is the snippet from that post:
First attempt to root/flash rom.
According to the instructions it said download odin 1.8. When I could not get past startup, something said download odin3. I current have odin3 3.10.6. I used it to download the .pit that came with 1.8.
I was locked into the tab 2 going into download mode. Could not get to recover for even a factory reset.
So I found something that said to use "espresso10_stock_childofthehorn.tar.md5". That downloaded using odin3. I am able to boot and go into recovery, but I get a <3e> dead android red triangle.
After many data wipes Still get the <3e> error.
What next?
Update:
First, I must have stumbled into download the first time. Now I know it is power and vol-, then press vol+.
After some more playing around and I am starting to connecting some more dots, I found a recovery imaged that work and gave me root with stock recovery.
It is "CF-Auto-Root-espresso10att-espresso10uc-samsungsghi497.tar.md5"
But, when I try and use it to update the rom, the verify files fail. From googling it seems I need a custom recovery. So where can I find a customer recover that works with espresso10uc?
As you can see although starting to connect some dots, still so far out in the weeds I am getting stickers.
As I said, just been trying to root/rom since yesterday, so I have a lot to learn.
I was giving a Samsung SGH-I497, so I can be more brave than with my phone. :)

john99ap

Sep 17, 2016
Espresso common twrp is not compatible with your model. It works with GT-p31xx and GT-p51xx while yours is SGH-I497.

penright

Mar 6, 2017
Espresso common twrp is not compatible with your model. It works with GT-p31xx and GT-p51xx while yours is SGH-I497.
So that means mine is not a 31xx or 51xx. Then what is it? Do I even need a different recovery image? I figured once I got the right recovery, then I will know what rom to use.

john99ap

Sep 17, 2016
Yours is a verizon variant of the tab and yes, you need a different recovery, try to search in google. Mind that your model is not espresso, so espresso roms will not work on it.

penright

Mar 6, 2017
Mind that your model is not espresso, so espresso roms will not work on it.
I agree, they haven't so far: :)
This is the part that confuses me, because the recovery that works for me is "CF-Auto-Root-espresso10att-espresso10uc-samsungsghi497.tar.md5" and it has espresso in the name.

Yours is a verizon variant of the tab
That another thing that confuses me, it boots with the ATT logo.

Let me give a little more context for what I am going to use it for and it might matter what I do.
My home automations is Homeassistant running on a Raspberry Pi 3. There is a dashboard that is basically a web page. Lot of guys use tables on the wall for UI. If I could link, I could give better context.
So I need to start a browser in kiosk mode. All I need is WiFi, no cell.

Any time two techies talk, the first 1 hour is just getting the jargon, thanks for being patient while I go through the process.

john99ap

Sep 17, 2016
I agree, they haven't so far: :)
This is the part that confuses me, because the recovery that works for me is "CF-Auto-Root-espresso10att-espresso10uc-samsungsghi497.tar.md5" and it has espresso in the name.

Yes but it also has sghi497 (your model) in its name.

That another thing that confuses me, it boots with the ATT logo.

Let me give a little more context for what I am going to use it for and it might matter what I do.
My home automations is Homeassistant running on a Raspberry Pi 3. There is a dashboard that is basically a web page. Lot of guys use tables on the wall for UI. If I could link, I could give better context.
So I need to start a browser in kiosk mode. All I need is WiFi, no cell.

Any time two techies talk, the first 1 hour is just getting the jargon, thanks for being patient while I go through the process.

Well, sorry but I don't know anything about automations. Maybe someone else can help:)

Reactions: penright

penright

Mar 6, 2017
Yes but it also has sghi497 (your model) in its name.
After sleeping on it I do have another question. So do I need to quit using Tab 2 10.1 for my query and only use SGH-I497 or is SGH-I497 a subset of Tab 2 10.1?

As far as the question, it is not as much about automation as running a browser in kiosk mode. I haven't looked at it yet, but someone has done an app. Basicly is a browser that using the entire screen.
They did extend it (now we getting into HA) The forward facing camera becomes a motion sensor that can be used in the automation.

john99ap

Sep 17, 2016
Tab 2 10.1 comes in many different models. One model is GT-p5100, another one is GT-p5110, another is SGH-I497. So yes use SGH-I497 while searching.

Reactions: penright
Sep 25, 2017
I want to report one error ..... I m using gtp3100 with lineage os 13 official unified build
When i create a folder and locks its with pattern lock (its an inbuilt protected apps feature)
I open that folder with protected apps in it !!
Keyboard automatically appeared on the pattern lock screen why !!? Is this a feature or bug?

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

I want to report one error ....
When i click on system setting >about phone >status
Its crashes and mobile network disappeares for 50 sec why ??

Last edited:

bhaskarjy0ti

Jan 7, 2018
Hello I'm new here and I'm not able to post due to some xda rules regarding post count. Wondering how can I overcome it quickly ?? :rolleyes:

0zai

Jan 11, 2018
I have one Galaxy Tab gt-p3100 with cwm and cyanogemmod (cant remember the version) with is stucked on this rom and recovery. Doesnt matter how many times i flash any other rom or even stock rom, it restart back on cyanogem and cwm. Restarts randomly when android is up. If i delete files, they all come back when it restarts and on CWM, i cant format /data partition. Any clue what to do? Already tried almost everything i found on this forum or youtube. Nothing seems to work. Help?!?

G

GuestK00406

How is this forum?

Hey guys, it's nearly been a year since my tablet gave up on me (It's stuck in a bootloop because i think the memory chip has given up, tried repairing it but they couldnt fix it). I loved this tablet, did so many things with it but in the last year it was getting slow. I remember being on CM13 with OC 1.2ghz (shoutout Dhollmen Kernel) with my p5110 tab 2. I moved on to the Tab A 10.1 2016
How is rom development and general day to day usage like on the Tab 2 now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Farewell!

With a bit of regret, I have to bid farewell to my Tab 2, and with it, to this great community... After buying the Asus Memo Pad HD 7, I am putting my Tab 2 up for sale on Craigslist.

I had a great time with this little tablet! Just wanted to say big THANK YOU to all the people who helped me along the way. Special thanks to @ketut.kumajaya and @Tsjoklat for their wonderful work on kernels and ROMs, to @Luigi2012SM64DS and @mitchellreece for a lot of useful info. Of course, not to forget folks like @Chainfire and @Phil3759, but that goes even without saying. :)

Happy New Year to all of you, and all the best wishes!
    @tetakpatak or donation for something good if a.dev don't accept donations (some people don't have anything to eat in this world for example). uploadfromtaptalk1429693554080.pnguploadfromtaptalk1429693566169.jpg

Send from OnePlus One using Tapatalk
    In the recovery there would be backup and restore.
    So go to there and press backup.
    U need to have atleast 2.5 GB of space.
    This is important as sometimes if u mess some things up and your tablet wont boot into your rom then this backup will come into help as u can always go into Recovery no matter what. :)
    Hi! I have a TAB 2 P3110 running cm10.1 and i want to know if its possible to install xposed framework. I want to run minminguard module.
    Thanks!
    :good:

If u have a cm10.1 , you must be having a custom recovery too.
    And so you can install xposed well and good.
    Get xposed installer from play store, install it and reboot.
    And then download modules from inside xposed installer app.
    If your phone doesnt boots up, then flash the zip xposed disabler from your sdcard.
    The zip will be made once u click on install xposed.
    Hope this helps.

Sent Via XDA App On My Awesome P3100..!
    Hi there, so im a high leveled Noob, i got a samsung Gtab2 10.1, after long use, i finally in a way i also cant

really explain able to Root and change the ROM to custom: Dhollmen ROM if im not wrong, well the thing is, all

is visible from the thread, i mean the way to do this and that. but how can i actually change it to this ROM

(xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2704517) ?? i try reading, well it promised better performance

and battery so i thought just give it a go. and along away got brain busted, so many words but there's no

download link for P5100. Honestly i had try reading before asking question, but my net here sooo bad u can

leave it loading take shower and make soup, come back and its still struggling.

so i give up when i reach page 8. ummm if its possible, can i also get a recommended snappy, stable with high

battery kinda ROM ? any help really2x appreciated.

Go with slimkats! The rom is really slick!
    Use the latest builds as always :)