Generic Android headunit (Erisin ES8990A) Information

Search This thread

jean8101

Oct 14, 2015
Thats correct anyway. This unit will be OK for the next 1-2 years (supposed there will be not any hardware problems). One could also say, in a world where mobile phones have an average "lifetime" of 1-2 years and cost about the same, why should these units last longer?

Sent from my E2033 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RonTNA

kalinkamaen

May 31, 2010
Yes, thats correct. If you have one!! Use it and enjoy it until it breaks down.
If you do not have this one, go for the next generation. Or wait until there is
one ready with the right speccs for you. There will always get better specs
units out there!

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Feb 24, 2006
Jersey
I got one of this quad-core unit. Unfortunately is stuck on the android splash screen, does any knows how to get out of it?

Vilpo

Jan 18, 2016
Yes I have had the same issue. But for me it has dissapared again now. I rooted my device and freezed alot of apps i did not use.
But I do not no for sure that this was the fix.
I have also had the same issue as this guy have here.

The fix for this for me, is to close and then open scren again. Seems
like the screen cable connection is bad.
I have now also noticed i have a symptom similar to this, the screen flickers slightly every time it opens. And sometimes i see discoloration on the radio buttons, opening/closing the screen will always fix it..
I guess we can assume there could be a weak connections on the screen cables in these units, or such a problem..
Not bothering me too much right now, since it only happens during the opening, but seems like something that would need looking into in future..

jean8101

Oct 14, 2015
I have now also noticed i have a symptom similar to this, the screen flickers slightly every time it opens. And sometimes i see discoloration on the radio buttons, opening/closing the screen will always fix it..
I guess we can assume there could be a weak connections on the screen cables in these units, or such a problem..
Not bothering me too much right now, since it only happens during the opening, but seems like something that would need looking into in future..
Same story here. Only during opening/closing. If the unit makes it in the current working state till after 2 years after purchase, I will be OK with it. Guaranty etc. I wouldn't even bother again, its a joke.

The other issue with touchscreen not working appeared unfortunately again at me, I still cannot locate what causes it, but at it least it comes rarer than before the factory reset. Temporar workaround to this, restarting via air mouse, which is a pain though, connecting and disconnecting USB stick, waiting etc.

Was thinking the other day to connect a switch near the fuse box, so as to can disconnect it from current power for restart or when I park the car for longer period, but no time for that.

Last edited:

Vilpo

Jan 18, 2016
Same story here. Only during opening/closing. If the unit makes it in the current working state till after 2 years after purchase, I will be OK with it. Guaranty etc. I wouldn't even bother again, its a joke.

The other issue with touchscreen not working appeared unfortunately again at me, I still cannot locate what causes it, but at it least it comes rarer than before the factory reset. Temporar workaround to this, restarting via air mouse, which is a pain though, connecting and disconnecting USB stick, waiting etc.

Was thinking the other day to connect a switch near the fuse box, so as to can disconnect it from current power for restart or when I park the car for longer period, but no time for that.

With mine, symptoms seemed to be worse during the colder days in winter time, perhaps temperature effecting the clearances, etc..
But never any issue with the touch screen.. :/

Didn't know you can even use mouse with these units, thats cool. :)

Oscarmg13

May 28, 2016
Ayuda

Buenos dias. Tengo un equipo Erisin es8990a de repente se a quedado frito. Lo enciendo y se reinicia continuamente nunaca llega a arrancan por completo. Aparece el muñequito de android con una barra debajo que dice "borrando" aparece la palabra android cuando arranca normalmente y se vuelve a reinicia. Si alguien me pudiera ayudar a como poder hacerle un reset o algo lo agracederia.

Collin659

Jun 18, 2016
Can anyone tell me how to setup the APN on the head unit so I can use the 3G dongle ? It's asking for a user name and password , how would I get that please

ujay03

Jul 2, 2016
help

Hi I have a similar device however I am having a problem whereby the motorised screen becomes stuck after the unit has been running for some time. So as I switch off the car then come back an hour or so later the touch screen wont come out nor do the buttons to control the screen work. If I wait until the next day and restart the car the unit will do a fresh boot and the screen will come out. Any ideas what the issue might be?
aliexpress.com/item/2016-Car-Fashion-Styling-Car-DVD-7-Inch-Bluetooth-Single-Din-32GB-Car-DVD-Radio-Player/32659245313.html
I can't find any update MCU or firmware for this device.

Last edited:

bball1607

Aug 14, 2016
Replace launcher

Hi,

I am trying to make Nova Launcher the default launcher on this device. Somehow the stock launcher is reset, after reboot.

I read online that I had to clear the app defaults.... Tried that but no luck.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Vilpo

Jan 18, 2016
Ok, i started getting more of this again in the late summer time, sometimes so bad i had to open/close the screen several times before the screen came back to normal.
And sometimes when it did this, i had to wait for a moment for the touch screen to resume working..
So i finally had some spare time, so i decided to tackle this and opened up the unit. There are two main flat cables that carry the video to the lcd, one big one that moves along with the screen/screen assembly and one smaller one that goes from the assembly to the lcd. Now, the smaller one only bends a bit when the screen goes up/down and the bigger one moves along with the screen back and forth.
Now i dont know exactly what i did to fix this, but i know i pulled off both ends of the bigger cable to inspect it, found it was good and cleaned up the ends and put it back. From the smaller one i removed assembly end and cleaned also and put it back.
Now it seems to be working perfectly! All of the flickering during the screen movement is gone! :)
I suspect the bigger cable might have been poorly connected (no lock connector on the mobo) to the main board, or had a poor contact due to moisture etc...

I recommend trying this if you have the same problem and you have some experience with electronic devices like these..
For opening the unit, i recommend first rear of the unit, then bottom, then front. No need to open from the top at all.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Hello guys, I have made it easy for you guys. This is Igo Primo 2 with european tomtom maps that works with our
unit. Just download this torrent:

https://mega.nz/#!zYMghIxT!4xVwIL8Hxc56QYYMgKdCH2RPXTm4PqD4Y-Yw3Z7LqGQ

Unpack and move IGO folder to SD card. Instal apk file and enjoy.

Anybody have a new link for this? I don't see any seeds on this torrent.. Or maybe a direct mega download?
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Merc129

Feb 24, 2017
Hello

I have a 1991 500SL and I was looking at this unit as my car cannot support Double Din without extensive modifications. I have a couple of questions regarding this unit.

1. Can this unit support and control an iPod classic? I'd like to be able to hook up my music library from my iPod classic to the USB/charge cable and control it from the HU.

2. Can you use voice commands such as the Google Now service like you do on your phone. Can I say for instance, "Ok Google, Navigate to Home"?

3. How is the sound quality on this unit? Are there different audio setting you can play around with such as... equalizer, high/low pass filters, bass boost, fader/balance, listening positions etc like you find on most regular head units.

Vilpo

Jan 18, 2016
Ok, i started getting more of this again in the late summer time, sometimes so bad i had to open/close the screen several times before the screen came back to normal.
And sometimes when it did this, i had to wait for a moment for the touch screen to resume working..
So i finally had some spare time, so i decided to tackle this and opened up the unit. There are two main flat cables that carry the video to the lcd, one big one that moves along with the screen/screen assembly and one smaller one that goes from the assembly to the lcd. Now, the smaller one only bends a bit when the screen goes up/down and the bigger one moves along with the screen back and forth.
Now i dont know exactly what i did to fix this, but i know i pulled off both ends of the bigger cable to inspect it, found it was good and cleaned up the ends and put it back. From the smaller one i removed assembly end and cleaned also and put it back.
Now it seems to be working perfectly! All of the flickering during the screen movement is gone! :)
I suspect the bigger cable might have been poorly connected (no lock connector on the mobo) to the main board, or had a poor contact due to moisture etc...

I recommend trying this if you have the same problem and you have some experience with electronic devices like these..
For opening the unit, i recommend first rear of the unit, then bottom, then front. No need to open from the top at all.
Ok, been a long time i know. Just wanted to update on this issue in case somebody struggling with it like i did.
So, i began getting the same issue again. But this time the screen would go totally messed without recovering at all. Restarting the unit didn't even help.
So i opened it up again and this time i noticed the big flat cable to the screen had a crack in it. So i ordered a new one and replaced. Now works like new again!
But thinking afterwards, maybe there was a small crack in it to start with, just didnt notice/wasn't yet visible the first time i inspected it.
Its 33mm x 160mm cable, same side contact, 32 pins.

If anybody has the newer igo primo 2/newer maps for this, let me know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the original Igo:

https://mega.nz/#!LcsGHICY!6VBNVyqnWqxBzHPV2DI1lNRuVCdv9wl4n1_5fII8kjg

Here is a newer IGO version.

https://mega.nz/#F!TNUVzQrC!Nl_0f40Lnjqh9SYyWRa3lg

You need to reuse or download new maps!!
    Hello guys, I have made it easy for you guys. This is Igo Primo 2 with european tomtom maps that works with our
    unit. Just download this torrent:

https://mega.nz/#!zYMghIxT!4xVwIL8Hxc56QYYMgKdCH2RPXTm4PqD4Y-Yw3Z7LqGQ

Unpack and move IGO folder to SD card. Instal apk file and enjoy.

No obd here also. I am definitely going to try that 4.2.2 version from Tonghai thread, only problem is that I need system.img.lzo extracted somehow from its own system update file which is in other format in order to put it in sdcard content near update.cfg ( our update procedure, see erisin e8990 instructions on ther site), keeping uboot/bootloader and other things unchanged, except system...hope this will work and we finally have an alternative to that ugly, buggy 4.1.1. Another story with the MCU update though....I can't even identify the version, only hardware inspection, I have same st chip but different termination and with this one I wouldn't risk to play.
    So, in conclusion, no open source from mstar to build from scratch our own rom, no recovery enter procedure via hardware buttons in case we brick, no usb adb, no nothing....my only hope is earlier tonghai file compatibility since they use same hardware config. Fingers crossed!

That's a good and brave try of you: )

on the obd issue i don't think there will be any solution with Bluetooth. And that's because Bluetooth is like "hardware" restricted in such devices. It doesn't have the complete functionality that has in our smartphones.

Solution for me was this WiFi obd unit:

(i had a link here but seems its not allowed)
    google
    KFZ-Mini-WIFI-Scanner-OBD2-Interface-Diagnosegerat-Android-Iphone-iPod-iPad

first that comes from (German) ebay.

it works with dash command, haven"t tried with Torque, don't think there would be any problem though.

If i could fix this **** problem with the screen i wouldn't touch it any more, i m already pissed enough, plus i don't have the confidence to make all these experiments that katalinscrob tries : )
    That's a good and brave try of you: )

on the obd issue i don't think there will be any solution with Bluetooth. And that's because Bluetooth is like "hardware" restricted in such devices. It doesn't have the complete functionality that has in our smartphones.

Solution for me was this WiFi obd unit:

(i had a link here but seems its not allowed)
    google
    KFZ-Mini-WIFI-Scanner-OBD2-Interface-Diagnosegerat-Android-Iphone-iPod-iPad

first that comes from (German) ebay.

it works with dash command, haven"t tried with Torque, don't think there would be any problem though.

If i could fix this **** problem with the screen i wouldn't touch it any more, i m already pissed enough, plus i don't have the confidence to make all these experiments that katalinscrob tries : )

Ok, i bought a Wifi dongle and now OBD2 works!
    So i tested with Torque Pro and live data is working great!
    So thanks again jean8101!
    Btw, i used this Wifi dongle:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-ELM327...248381?hash=item3d09d969bd:g:DSsAAOxypNtSgJZg

I have one more question though, is it possible to make the unit resume Torque after power off/on? Usually when i remove key / resume power, the unit just jumps back to home view with program icons. Only if i have radio open before removing power it will resume radio, or if i have dvd/cd player on, it will resume that after resuming power or if i have I Go on, it will resume that.. But with Torque it will not resume, it will stay in the background though but not open back up..
    Thats correct anyway. This unit will be OK for the next 1-2 years (supposed there will be not any hardware problems). One could also say, in a world where mobile phones have an average "lifetime" of 1-2 years and cost about the same, why should these units last longer?

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone