• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

"Genuine" Samsung Chargers - How to spot a fake

Search This thread

yeoldgreat1

Jan 24, 2010
Bedford
My Samsung charger died recently so I tried to replace it with this one from ebay. As soon as it arrived I could tell it was fake but thought I'd share what I found so that others can see what to look out for.

The main giveaways were:
Lettering is poor quality - an official charger has a very high resolution print screen and parts of the letters are not missing.
Poor build quality - the earth on does not move up and down properly.
Use of Philips screws - the official charger uses torx screws.
Quick Fast Charging - Samsung have never used this branding.

I then decided to take both chargers apart to see how different they were. I've attached the pictures, the genuine charger is on the left and the fake is on the right. It's amazing how much difference there was between the build quality. I managed to pop the back off of the fake charger with not too much force but I really had to pry open the genuine one before it eventually gave in. Once the back was off, the PCB in the fake charger slid out really quickly but I had to prise the genuine PCB out, which is why there is a bit of damage to the USB port.

Attachments

• 20170616_162641.jpg
    20170616_162641.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 2,129
  • 20170616_162654.jpg
    20170616_162654.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 2,151
  • 20170616_162701.jpg
    20170616_162701.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 2,216
  • 20170616_162712.jpg
    20170616_162712.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 2,255
  • 20170616_162753.jpg
    20170616_162753.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,156
  • 20170616_162801.jpg
    20170616_162801.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 2,068
  • 20170616_162820.jpg
    20170616_162820.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 20170616_162858.jpg
    20170616_162858.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1,795
  • 20170616_162909.jpg
    20170616_162909.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 1,797
  • 20170616_162931.jpg
    20170616_162931.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,784
Reactions: Guatiao

sandpox

Aug 7, 2014
www.sandpox.org
IMO the easiest way to check charger without disassembly it is:

- Checking the letter for typo/the ink are too bold/ you can feel the letter with your finger then it's a fake one
- Check for the USB contacts, official charger usually gold plated
- Check for weight, fake charger use fewer component => fewer weight
- Official charger did have a circuitry built in to make it work with Fast Charging capability device, meanwhile the fake charger are not, obviously it will not able to do the Fast Charging

For the electrical safety:
- On the fake charger, the secondary (USB) are not having enough clearance to the mains side (240v), this could leads to your phone get fried if there is a high voltage spike in the mains causing it to arcs over and you could risk the life of yourself if you're touching the metal parts on the phone, you can clearly see the 8th image of the official charger having a plastic separation between the secondary side and primary side to prevent such arcing occurs.

- Transformer of official charger use 2 layer insulation (magnet wire with a rubber sleeve, you can see the secondary winding of official charger coming out in 9th picture with red and white wire) for the secondary side meanwhile on the fake charger just a bare magnet wire so you're risking yourself if the secondary winding somehow touched the primary winding because of the insulation is so thin, it will broke off because of heat during use.

- Official charger use proper, big class Y capacitor (the cyan color thingy) meanwhile the fake charger use a smaller one, if this thing get fault and shorted then your phone will get direct contact with the mains side.

Last edited:
Reactions: unknown

ozvandroid

Mar 20, 2011
Mexico

- Checking the letter for typo/the ink are too bold/ you can feel the letter with your finger then it's a fake one
- Official charger did have a circuitry built in to make it work with Fast Charging capability device, meanwhile the fake charger are not, obviously it will not able to do the Fast Charging

- On the fake charger, the secondary (USB) are not having enough clearance to the mains side (240v), this could leads to your phone get fried if there is a high voltage spike in the mains causing it to arcs over and you could risk the life of yourself if you're touching the metal parts on the phone, you can clearly see the 8th image of the official charger having a plastic separation between the secondary side and primary side to prevent such arcing occurs.

- Transformer of official charger use 2 layer insulation (magnet wire with a rubber sleeve, you can see the secondary winding of official charger coming out in 9th picture with red and white wire) for the secondary side meanwhile on the fake charger just a bare magnet wire so you're risking yourself if the secondary winding somehow touched the primary winding because of the insulation is so thin, it will broke off because of heat during use.

- Official charger use proper, big class Y capacitor (the cyan color thingy) meanwhile the fake charger use a smaller one, if this thing get fault and shorted then your phone will get direct contact with the mains side.

Actually there are fake chargers that do adaptative charging. I got one, but the differences i found is that it gets really hot muy hotter than the original, and it makes a little buzz sound while chraging.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Samsung charger died recently so I tried to replace it with this one from ebay. As soon as it arrived I could tell it was fake but thought I'd share what I found so that others can see what to look out for.

The main giveaways were:
    Lettering is poor quality - an official charger has a very high resolution print screen and parts of the letters are not missing.
    Poor build quality - the earth on does not move up and down properly.
    Use of Philips screws - the official charger uses torx screws.
    Quick Fast Charging - Samsung have never used this branding.

I then decided to take both chargers apart to see how different they were. I've attached the pictures, the genuine charger is on the left and the fake is on the right. It's amazing how much difference there was between the build quality. I managed to pop the back off of the fake charger with not too much force but I really had to pry open the genuine one before it eventually gave in. Once the back was off, the PCB in the fake charger slid out really quickly but I had to prise the genuine PCB out, which is why there is a bit of damage to the USB port.