• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Get fingerprint working on US version?

Search This thread

msamuels0

Oct 5, 2007
San Diego
Apologies in advance for noobish questions...

I bought an unlocked Z5C (US version) at Best Buy a few weeks ago, and have been happy with the phone, even though the fingerprint sensor has been disabled for the US.

I had been hoping for the possibility that when 6.0 was released for the phone, because of the new framework having more fingerprint-related libraries baked in, that the sensor would be enabled. No such luck.

So, my question is, how easy/difficult would it be to somehow enable the fingerprint sensor on the US version of the Z5 Compact?

I've never really gotten too deep into rooting, building, etc., but I am a software developer, so I'd be comfortable with development tools, build environments, modules, etc., but I just don't know where to start with something so specific, having never done it for this platform before.

I'd have to think that there would be some way to do a custom build, either importing fingerprint libraries into a US build, or importing US radio libraries into an international build that has the sensor enabled, or some combination like that?

I'm really just looking for someone to hopefully point me in a direction to try to do this. If there's already a solution, even better, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Thanks in advance for any info!
-Mark

Pakman123

Feb 7, 2010
Far Far Away

I bought an unlocked Z5C (US version) at Best Buy a few weeks ago, and have been happy with the phone, even though the fingerprint sensor has been disabled for the US.

I had been hoping for the possibility that when 6.0 was released for the phone, because of the new framework having more fingerprint-related libraries baked in, that the sensor would be enabled. No such luck.

So, my question is, how easy/difficult would it be to somehow enable the fingerprint sensor on the US version of the Z5 Compact?

I've never really gotten too deep into rooting, building, etc., but I am a software developer, so I'd be comfortable with development tools, build environments, modules, etc., but I just don't know where to start with something so specific, having never done it for this platform before.

I'd have to think that there would be some way to do a custom build, either importing fingerprint libraries into a US build, or importing US radio libraries into an international build that has the sensor enabled, or some combination like that?

I'm really just looking for someone to hopefully point me in a direction to try to do this. If there's already a solution, even better, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

-Mark

try this method in this thread might be able to activate it if its software locked

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z5/general/e6653-flash-e6603-firmware-enable-t3307158

msamuels0

Oct 5, 2007
San Diego
Let us know if it works, I am curious.
Quick update...

I finally got a chance to mess with this over the weekend. There is not yet a Custom UK E5823 release for MM, so I tried copying the files from another MM non-us release, and it didn't appear to work. However, I did go and revert back to Lollipop with the latest available UK release, and can at least confirm that the fingerprint hardware is indeed present, as the fingerprint manager then showed up, and the sensor worked. I went back to the latest E5803 Custom US Marshmallow, and will wait until MM is available for UK, and try to copy those files and rebuild again then.

DAVe3283

Aug 19, 2015
Boise
Interesting... that is good to know. It seems that we could buy the US version to get the warranty, then just flash an international firmware to unlock all the functionality. And hopefully down the road, do the mash-up firmware for the best of both worlds!

I'm just surprised they disabled the sensor in the US, especially with the sensor still present in the phone!

msamuels0

Oct 5, 2007
San Diego
Another update...

I tried copying the files from a few other MM builds and repackaging, but none allowed the fingerprint sensor to work on my phone.

However, since people in some other threads had been talking about the Nordic Combined version of firmware, I figured I'd give that a shot without any modifications. And... everything works!

So just to reiterate, I have a US version of the Z5 Compact (E5803, purchased at Best Buy), and updated with the Nordic Combined firmware (1298-7782, Customized NOBA, 32.1.A.1.163/R9C) with no modifications, and everything works perfectly on my phone (registered on T-Mobile), including the fingerprint scanner.

The phone now reports itself as E5823 instead of E5803, but I can live with that! ;)

AnandRajaguru

Mar 9, 2016
Another update...

I tried copying the files from a few other MM builds and repackaging, but none allowed the fingerprint sensor to work on my phone.

However, since people in some other threads had been talking about the Nordic Combined version of firmware, I figured I'd give that a shot without any modifications. And... everything works!

So just to reiterate, I have a US version of the Z5 Compact (E5803, purchased at Best Buy), and updated with the Nordic Combined firmware (1298-7782, Customized NOBA, 32.1.A.1.163/R9C) with no modifications, and everything works perfectly on my phone (registered on T-Mobile), including the fingerprint scanner.

The phone now reports itself as E5823 instead of E5803, but I can live with that! ;)
Congrats!! Wat about cellular reception and call quality, any glitches?? (like echo troubles...)

runningwarrior08

Apr 27, 2010
Congrats!! Wat about cellular reception and call quality, any glitches?? (like echo troubles...)

I don't have a US model but an international model, running on Nordic using att and have no issues other than signal bars displaying less signal than i have. I'll show no bars at the same db rating my other phone shows 2 bars. No big deal phone still works fine.

Reactions: MO3iusONE

Yakkosmurf

I don't have a US model but an international model, running on Nordic using att and have no issues other than signal bars displaying less signal than i have. I'll show no bars at the same db rating my other phone shows 2 bars. No big deal phone still works fine.
Yeah, I noticed the signal meter reading lower than it should on the Nordic firmware on US T-Mobile. Getting 20Mbps on 4G with no bars is fine with me.

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Another update...

You don't have volte though right?

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Sony phones have always reported lower signal than actually present. No idea why

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
Possible to revert back?

This is great news. Is it possible to revert back to make it report as the right model for warranty purposes?

mohlsen8

May 20, 2010
just flashed "customized uk" version and got my US z5c fingerprint reader up and running. wonder what, if any, issues might arise from running a firmware for a different model, e5823 vs. e5803.

this thing is nice, but man , it does get pretty hot in the back top center. yowza.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another update...

Where can I download the latest Nordic build for the E5803 ?

Edit: To answer my own question for anyone who finds this thread, follow these steps:

1. Download the FlastTool application, just Google it, it's the first few results
    2. Unplug your device and open the tool on your PC, go to Devices>Check Drivers make sure that you get the latest drivers for your device
    3. Enable ADB mode on your phone, plug it into your PC and allow your computer access
    4. Launch XperiFirm from FlashTool (it's the last icon on the top)
    5. Find your device in the list. At the time of this edit, there's no UK or NOBA firmware for the E5803 (Z5 Compact), but you can download the "Customized UK" or "Customized NOBA" version from the E5823 which works fine (tested the NOBA version for several weeks now - I live in Canada, using Rogers towers)
    6. Download the firmware you want, once it's done, close all the XF windows
    7. Make sure your phone is plugged in, has at least 80% battery, the right drivers are installed and is authorized via ADB for your computer.
    8. Click the lighting icon, choose Flashmode (this is a no-root, friendly way to side-load a firmware AFAIK), click OK
    9. Expand all the menus on the left and pick the new UK/NOBA firmware you downloaded
    10. Check all the boxes under Wipe>Sin EXCEPT "USERDATA" (unless your okay with losing all your personal data on your device)
    11. Click flash, wait until it's done and that's it. You should now have a NA Z5C with fingerprint features.

My setup: I live in Canada and have the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (E5803), my provider is Rogers and I actively use 5GHz and 2.4Ghz WIFI connections as well as using BLE for my Pebble. After side-loading the Customized NOBA E5823 firmware version, all of these things work, including the fingerprint sensor.

-Mark

try this method in this thread might be able to activate it if its software locked

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z5/general/e6653-flash-e6603-firmware-enable-t3307158
    Let us know if it works, I am curious.
    Quick update...

I finally got a chance to mess with this over the weekend. There is not yet a Custom UK E5823 release for MM, so I tried copying the files from another MM non-us release, and it didn't appear to work. However, I did go and revert back to Lollipop with the latest available UK release, and can at least confirm that the fingerprint hardware is indeed present, as the fingerprint manager then showed up, and the sensor worked. I went back to the latest E5803 Custom US Marshmallow, and will wait until MM is available for UK, and try to copy those files and rebuild again then.
    Im not positive but I thought both versions have different hardware. If so then the us would not have it?

My understanding was that the hardware is still present in the US version, but it was disabled for legal reasons. Could be wrong though.