Question Get Me Up To Speed (What Apps / Utilities for A12 in 2022?)

Search This thread

uses0ap

Jan 30, 2010
While awaiting the arrival of my new OP9 Pro, I plan to root & install a custom rom. I'm currently gathering all the utilities/files needed for flash, and preparing for the install.
I'm coming from a OnePlus 6t [Android 9 / Root / Havoc-OS], and lot has changed in terms of what apps/utilities are used for specific functions.
I have no prior hands-on experience since Android 9. I'm playing catch-up on the latest methods on how to do things, so I'm not going in blind.

In short, I'm trying to get up to speed here on what go-to apps/utilities are mainly used for our devices:

Device: OnePlus 9 Pro LE2125 (Root)​
Pending ROM: crDroid v8.9 [Android 12L] OR Nameless ASOP [Android 12L]​

--FULL SYSTEM BACKUP ?--

I previous used TWRP & Titanium Backup (I like the 'freezeframe' style of backups where system can be recovered right where I left off). Its my understanding that TWRP is not supported on A12. It appears a lot of TWRP functions are replaced with MSM Tool / LineageOS Recovery since A12 released.
What is relevant now for A12?
*I've see a lot of people using 'Swift' & 'Migrate' to back up apps​
*I've read EDL Mode + MSM Tool can be used for full system backup -- Cant find a guide on how to do this. I thought MSM Tool is only used to recover bricked devices to factory.​
*Is LineageOS Recovery a viable replacement for TWRP?​

--APPS ?--

SD Maid?
Is this still relevant for A12 in 2022? Any alternatives?​
MiXplorer?

Reactions: h20x and 1thomas
Great choices when it comes to the ROMs you selected. Here's my personal list of mods/apps/ROMs
ROM: Nameless AOSP
Mods: Google Sans Plus for system wide Google Sans, AdAway for Ad Blocking, YouTube Vanced, SafetyNet Fix [dicey but usable] , SwiftBackup for backing up and restoring (100% would recommend works perfectly)

Reactions: uses0ap

LastCell

Sep 7, 2022
Titanium has not been updated in a while. Swift is indeed a great replacement, can recommend.

Lineage recovery works for lineage OS and some ROMs if they explicitly state to use it. Some custom ROMS have their own recovery for A12 (example crDroid and StagOS). Do not use lineage recovery for these custom roms, will risk soft brick.

crDroid is great, recommend their firmware flash tool to flash their required base rom to both A and B partitions (dual boot partitions are a thing now, not sure if it was on A9). However its still under active development and not rock solid stable yet. StagOS is stable on A12. Cant speak about Namless have not tried it.

Also be aware some custom A12 roms require OOS/A11 base for install, while others require OOS/A12 base. Some require payload dumping (see Fastboot stuff further below for payload dump GUI).

NikGapps (micro to full options) for Gapp suite.

Magisk with some key modules such as safetynetfix and magiskhide props config (sideload magisk if you can during custom rom install, easiest method). Can recommend shamiko as well for better denylist. FoxModuleManager app if you want magisk module repos. Debloater for debloating. Deatch are Detach3 for detaching apps. Amaze for file manager.

Adaway is great for adblocking. Vanced for youtube (ReVanced as successor, not sure how long vanced will still work; dev has stopped). Aurorandroid for a decent f-droid replacement. Kernel flasher for kernel switching (blu_spark is a good custom kernel). And LSpeed for system tweaks.

Fastboot Enhanced (payload dumper with GUI) and Fastboot++ (very up to date with latest ADB drivers) for best adb/fastboot environment.

Anecdotally, A11 is better for battery and A12 for performance. You wont miss out on much in A12 vs A11 in most other regards.

Last edited:

1thomas

Dec 28, 2017
OnePlus 9 Pro
While awaiting the arrival of my new OP9 Pro, I plan to root & install a custom rom. I'm currently gathering all the utilities/files needed for flash, and preparing for the install.
I'm coming from a OnePlus 6t [Android 9 / Root / Havoc-OS], and lot has changed in terms of what apps/utilities are used for specific functions.
I have no prior hands-on experience since Android 9. I'm playing catch-up on the latest methods on how to do things, so I'm not going in blind.

In short, I'm trying to get up to speed here on what go-to apps/utilities are mainly used for our devices:

--FULL SYSTEM BACKUP ?--

I previous used TWRP & Titanium Backup (I like the 'freezeframe' style of backups where system can be recovered right where I left off). Its my understanding that TWRP is not supported on A12. It appears a lot of TWRP functions are replaced with MSM Tool / LineageOS Recovery since A12 released.
*I've read EDL Mode + MSM Tool can be used for full system backup -- Cant find a guide on how to do this. I thought MSM Tool is only used to recover bricked devices to factory.​

--APPS ?--

SD Maid?
MiXplorer?
I've had lemonadep for a long time and I've been using nameless since it's been available but I've always been testing other rom's that came out, I can tell you that nameless is very stable along with crdroid (which I don't use because I I don't have a switch to FHD+ when I need more battery)

for backup i use swift backup, and it never failed.

for recovery it is important to use the recommended by the developer, and nothing else.

I wonder how is the effectiveness of SDMaid on a high end cell phone like ours, in aosp, so I don't use it.

MiXplorer is practical and I've been using it for a few years, it's good for accessing the root and for some services on the network

Reactions: uses0ap

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Titanium has not been updated in a while. Swift is indeed a great replacement, can recommend.

Lineage recovery works for lineage OS and some ROMs if they explicitly state to use it. Some custom ROMS have their own recovery for A12 (example crDroid and StagOS). Do not use lineage recovery for these custom roms, will risk soft brick.

crDroid is great, recommend their firmware flash tool to flash their required base rom to both A and B partitions (dual boot partitions are a thing now, not sure if it was on A9). However its still under active development and not rock solid stable yet. StagOS is stable on A12. Cant speak about Namless have not tried it.

Also be aware some custom A12 roms require OOS/A11 base for install, while others require OOS/A12 base. Some require payload dumping (see Fastboot stuff further below for payload dump GUI).

NikGapps (micro to full options) for Gapp suite.

Magisk with some key modules such as safetynetfix and magiskhide props config (sideload magisk if you can during custom rom install, easiest method). Can recommend shamiko as well for better denylist. FoxModuleManager app if you want magisk module repos. Debloater for debloating. Deatch are Detach3 for detaching apps. Amaze for file manager.

Adaway is great for adblocking. Vanced for youtube (ReVanced as successor, not sure how long vanced will still work; dev has stopped). Aurorandroid for a decent f-droid replacement. Kernel flasher for kernel switching (blu_spark is a good custom kernel). And LSpeed for system tweaks.

Fastboot Enhanced (payload dumper with GUI) and Fastboot++ (very up to date with latest ADB drivers) for best adb/fastboot environment.

Anecdotally, A11 is better for battery and A12 for performance. You wont miss out on much in A12 vs A11 in most other regards.

--FULL SYSTEM BACKUP ?--

--APPS ?--

SD Maid?
    MiXplorer?
    I also have a OP9P on its way to me, and I'm doing research as well.
    Thank you for starting it.
    Great choices when it comes to the ROMs you selected. Here's my personal list of mods/apps/ROMs
    ROM: Nameless AOSP
    Mods: Google Sans Plus for system wide Google Sans, AdAway for Ad Blocking, YouTube Vanced, SafetyNet Fix [dicey but usable] , SwiftBackup for backing up and restoring (100% would recommend works perfectly)

--FULL SYSTEM BACKUP ?--

--APPS ?--

SD Maid?
    MiXplorer?
    I've had lemonadep for a long time and I've been using nameless since it's been available but I've always been testing other rom's that came out, I can tell you that nameless is very stable along with crdroid (which I don't use because I I don't have a switch to FHD+ when I need more battery)

for backup i use swift backup, and it never failed.

for recovery it is important to use the recommended by the developer, and nothing else.

I wonder how is the effectiveness of SDMaid on a high end cell phone like ours, in aosp, so I don't use it.

MiXplorer is practical and I've been using it for a few years, it's good for accessing the root and for some services on the network