Question Get old OnePlus gestures back?

Search This thread

elodin_89

Jun 2, 2010
Coming from a OP7Pro, I have to say that these new Google gestures suck. Can no longer swipe from the sides to call up a side menu in various apps because swiping in from the sides now takes me back. I miss the old gestures where everything was done from the bottom:

Swipe up, bottom left/right: back
Swipe up, center: home
Swipe up and hold, center: recent apps

Trying to find a way to get those back but can't. Thought I hit the jackpot with the process in the link below, but I have an issue afterwards where swiping up from left/right of bottom combines both back and home commands and always takes me home.

Anybody have any ideas?

Bunecarera

Mar 4, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think this method just disables the "swipe from left/right = back" function.
It does not enable "swipe up from bottom left or bottom right = back" like in the good old days.

I'm coming from a one+ 6... So also an adjustment for me...

Chinaroad

Jan 27, 2012
Sousse
OnePlus 9 Pro
Me too i'm coming from a OP6 and want those gestures back, i already made a suggestion on OP site but i don't think it will happen since there were people on op8 who also wanted them but didn't get it.
Also with gestures app, i couldn't hide the navigation button bar with adb command so it wont work too

Reactions: davidtrn24

DashDashCZ

Oct 19, 2014
Czech Republic
OnePlus 9 Pro
I personally like swipe from side for back. What they could do is make it work only in bottom 2/3 of the screen while the top 1/3 would be for bringing up hamburger menus. That's how it was with my old honor (which I hated) but this one feature really made sense.

Bunecarera

Mar 4, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Coming from a OP7Pro, I have to say that these new Google gestures suck. Can no longer swipe from the sides to call up a side menu in various apps because swiping in from the sides now takes me back. I miss the old gestures where everything was done from the bottom:

Trying to find a way to get those back but can't. Thought I hit the jackpot with the process in the link below, but I have an issue afterwards where swiping up from left/right of bottom combines both back and home commands and always takes me home.

Anybody have any ideas?

I got it to work.
With Substratum Lite, NoNavbar.apk and the app Fluid Gesstures.
LINK to thread.

zjhjack123

Oct 4, 2010
Shijiazhuang
iLazyCat.com
I think this method just disables the "swipe from left/right = back" function.
It does not enable "swipe up from bottom left or bottom right = back" like in the good old days.

I'm coming from a one+ 6... So also an adjustment for me...
Actually I think that method do bring back corner swipe = back gesture, the problem is that swipe up from bottom = home takes the whole bottom, it will get triggered with the back gesture.

You can confirm that by swipe from corner slowly, if you careful enough, you can only trigger back without trigger home action, or at least see two gestures are being triggered at once. Another proof is that after getting back home by swipe up from corner, if you open the app from recent apps switch, you can see that the app indeed got a back action(return to last page)

So I think if we can find a way to narrow the range for bottom swipe = home action, we can get this to work almost perfectly.

Bunecarera

Mar 4, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Actually I think that method do bring back corner swipe = back gesture, the problem is that swipe up from bottom = home takes the whole bottom, it will get triggered with the back gesture.

You can confirm that by swipe from corner slowly, if you careful enough, you can only trigger back without trigger home action, or at least see two gestures are being triggered at once. Another proof is that after getting back home by swipe up from corner, if you open the app from recent apps switch, you can see that the app indeed got a back action(return to last page)

So I think if we can find a way to narrow the range for bottom swipe = home action, we can get this to work almost perfectly.

I have no idea what you mean dude :)

With Fluid Gestures, I have 3 areas at the bottom.
Left is back.
Middle is Home and Recent apps with Swipe&Hold
Right area is Back

And then I also have the Right Side set up to switch between apps.

See screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210507-162040.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-162040.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Screenshot_20210507-161821.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-161821.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot_20210507-161807.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-161807.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20210507-161800.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-161800.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot_20210507-161750.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-161750.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot_20210507-161744.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-161744.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 260

elodin_89

Jun 2, 2010
I got it to work.
LINK to thread.
Nice, thanks for the tip. I'll try this. I have previously tried gesture apps but since Google removed that overscan item starting with 10/11 that rendered 3rd party gesture apps useless, they didn't work and I gave up. But I did not try with substratum or run in to that thread you linked.

zjhjack123

Oct 4, 2010
Shijiazhuang
iLazyCat.com
I have no idea what you mean dude :)
What I mean is by using "settings put system op_gesture_button_side_enabled" method you do get the swipe up from bottom left or bottom right = back gesture. The only problem is you will always trigger swipe up from bottom = home/recent gesture alone with it, so it seems swipe up from bottom corner is not working.

I think if we can find some way to change the swipe up from bottom = home/recent gesture area, just trigger it by swipe up from bottom center we might get the original OP7 gesture to work.

Bunecarera

Mar 4, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
What I mean is by using "settings put system op_gesture_button_side_enabled" method you do get the swipe up from bottom left or bottom right = back gesture. The only problem is you will always trigger swipe up from bottom = home/recent gesture alone with it, so it seems swipe up from bottom corner is not working.

I think if we can find some way to change the swipe up from bottom = home/recent gesture area, just trigger it by swipe up from bottom center we might get the original OP7 gesture to work.

Sorry, misread.
I thought you were talking about the NoNavbar route.

That's true.
The "settings put..." method does not work.
I do not think you can alter the bottom area to consist of 3 different touch area's. Left, center, right. And change the width of them.

But the link I provided does work.
Substratum lite, NoNavbar, Fluid Gestures.

I am using it right now...

Last edited:

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
I like "Lift phone to ear to answer a call" gesture.
I posted on Oneplus. They answer to talk to Google...
O posted on Google.., no answer.

Christopherpenn1000

Apr 30, 2019
I upgraded from OxygenOS (android 10) to KOSP 2.3 (running android 12) on my OnePlus 7 Pro. Everything about KOSP is better than OEM OOS except the stock A12 gestures. I wanted to run "Vivid Navigation Gestures" but the damn navbar was baked into the ROM.

This was the first solution I found that worked to hide the navbar! Thanks for posting!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Anybody have any ideas?

I got it to work.
    LINK to thread.
    Me too i'm coming from a OP6 and want those gestures back, i already made a suggestion on OP site but i don't think it will happen since there were people on op8 who also wanted them but didn't get it.
    Also with gestures app, i couldn't hide the navigation button bar with adb command so it wont work too
    I got it to work.
    LINK to thread.
    Got it working. It wasn't working initially, then I realized I had to change from Gestures to Nav Bar Navigation within the phone settings. Thanks so much! It's getting closer to feeling like my 7 Pro!