Getting 5G/VoLTE working on SM-N9860 (HK Note 20 Ultra 5G)

Search This thread
Anyone since had success getting 5G on EE in the UK without changing ROM or CSC ?
No. I tried yesterday with the SIM 2 slot on a journey towards London where 5G coverage is claimed by EE throughout the trip. I used nPerf to check the signal and there was nothing except 4G and 4G+. I have the latest firmware from a couple of days ago.

Mind you, according to the nPerf coverage map it looks like 5G signal has not yet been discovered by anyone else on EE in the area.

Screenshot_20210316-152549_nPerf.jpg

Screenshot_20210316-152726_Brave.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London

Doomknight

May 11, 2013
London
What did you do exactly?

I downloaded Google dialer, input *#*#276633683782#*#*, but cannot tap 'main menu' as it wont do a thing.

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
What did you do exactly?

I downloaded Google dialer, input *#*#276633683782#*#*, but cannot tap 'main menu' as it wont do a thing.
Yes Its a bit odd

Phone isnt here at the moment but IIRC, there was only one menu option below main menu (previous roms had the full listing)

Go into that one option below Main Menu, then drill down a few menus and when you back out of the sub menus it seems to show the options

Reactions: Doomknight

Doomknight

May 11, 2013
London
Thanks @bocsta, @xUtsumi and @kent800129

I successfully received a 5G signal on o2 after months!!

I just saw main menu and [5] RF TEST.

I tapped on [5] RF TEST - ANT TEST SETTING and then pressed back (three dots) to get the menu (UE SETTING & INFO) to show up.

Then as @xUtsumi suggested, I proceeded to do this. UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting.

A reboot later and I have 5G. :)

Last edited:

kent800129

Feb 10, 2021
Just got tag in this post and take a look around.
Congratulate for getting 5G on this stupid Samsung phones.
And as I know it should work on G98x0 N98x0 and S21 G99x0 by using this method
As these models share same logic on modem settings.

As I know when a software upgeade, the settings may roll back
and you may need to perform these steps again if 5G won't work.

Ed Law

Nov 24, 2014
Just a quick post to say THANK YOU to those who have contributed to this thread. The most recent method and code in Google Dialer has fixed my 5G issue. Thank you very much!

Now I just need to find a way to get native call recording haha

Reactions: NPinUK

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
It would be good to understand these whitelists more....
Like who is calling the shots ...the operators or Samsung ?
Does the Exynos have a whitelist ?
Why China Rom is ok ?
Why HK Rom was first ok and then not ?

kent800129

Feb 10, 2021
It would be good to understand these whitelists more....
Like who is calling the shots ...the operators or Samsung ?
Does the Exynos have a whitelist ?
Why China Rom is ok ?
Why HK Rom was first ok and then not ?
Please go to this thread to see the process of developing method to unlock 5G on Chinese model.
In this reply you can found out how the whitelist works.

And Exynos also has whitelist

Reactions: NPinUK

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
With the whitelist for the N9860 and reading the Net Monster post, we assume that operators O2 and EE werent in the whitelist, but Vodafone and Three were, is it a case of O2 and EE didnt work with Samsung on agreement on the whitelist or they specifically told Samsung that they wanted to be excluded.
Why some operators go no problem and the others say no or dont care not our region phone

And these whitelists exist for all the latest Samsung phones ?

NPinUK

May 16, 2013
Just another Post to say Thankyou to everyone who contributed in getting 5G to work on these imported phones. I gave up and really thought it wasn't going to happen on my S20+ G9860 TGY firmware.

I can confirm 5G now working on O2 in U.K. on Samsung Galaxy s20+ G9860. TGY firmware.

5G working here with GIFFGAFF via the O2 network too. Be aware that not all 5G masts get high speed Internet. I was getting 20Mbps on three different 5G masts until finally getting nearly 300Mbps... Havent been able to test EE but should work OK. Three works fine too and high speed.

Screenshot_20210328-194805_Speedtest.jpg

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
Three seems underated to me...never been with them but a test sim card had very fast 5g speeds. I guess they have newer infrastructure to upgrade

Enki0

Apr 4, 2021
here in greece the icon 5G appears but it has low speeds and also while it supports 5G the speed writes 4G LTE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got tag in this post and take a look around.
    Congratulate for getting 5G on this stupid Samsung phones.
    And as I know it should work on G98x0 N98x0 and S21 G99x0 by using this method
    As these models share same logic on modem settings.

As I know when a software upgeade, the settings may roll back
    and you may need to perform these steps again if 5G won't work.
    I installed OneUI 3.0 today on my TGY phone.

CA/4G+/LTE+ still works without service menu adjustments, but the 4G+ sensitivity is not as strong as it was with the adjustments I had made before. Even so, I saw download speeds up to 200+Mbps today on 4G and 4G+.

Screenshot_20210204-112242_nPerf.jpg

VoLTE works out of the box.

Wi-Fi calling works out of the box.

I still do not see any hint of 5G on the EE network in the UK. Coverage maps suggest that there should be 5G where I travelled today, but absolutely nothing showed on the phone or nPerf.

Service menu access through the phone dialer no longer works so it is not possible to make previous adjustments.
    Finally we have 5G !!!
    Great news
    Whitelist exists and needs to be removed.

Thanks to xUtsumi and Kent800129 !!!

I did that, but in the settings I still see TGY, it didn't change to BRI.

Yes my settings still show TGY (as it was originally) as well but flashing BRI fixed the 5G connectivity issue
    Thanks @bocsta, @xUtsumi and @kent800129

I successfully received a 5G signal on o2 after months!!

I just saw main menu and [5] RF TEST.

I tapped on [5] RF TEST - ANT TEST SETTING and then pressed back (three dots) to get the menu (UE SETTING & INFO) to show up.

Then as @xUtsumi suggested, I proceeded to do this. UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting.

A reboot later and I have 5G. :)