• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Getting a replacement S6 due to screen.

Search This thread

Roflwafflez

Nov 13, 2012
Hello!

So I just wanted to make a brief post and post a pic of my current S6 and why I'm sending it back for a replacement. I noticed today that about 1/4th or 1/5th of my screen (towards the bottom near the home button) is pinkish. It's visible mostly on white images, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it! I've read a few other posts here and there about screen discoloration, and I noticed that Erica Griffin touched upon it on one of her videos. I'm thinking that it has to be a hardware problem, cause I can't see how software would cause this issue. Pics below:

tFhmkCP.jpg

j3Z2hhe.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Am I crazy and making things up in my mind, or does the screen actually have like 2 different color calibrations?! :crying:

-Matt

jayr04

Oct 31, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the same problem but it's towards the left in the middle. But I have to really look for it. It seems to be worse at certain angles. My GF has a Note 4 and her whites look kinda rainbow-ish as well. So maybe it's a Samsung thing?

But like I said in another thread. I've had a 2 M8s, Nexus 5s, and Z3s side by side and none of the screens looked the same. Some looked better, some had different color temps, etc. So if you return it, there's a good possibility the next one won't look as good or have slight defects. I've seen people return phones several times until they were satisfied.

Last edited:

kishin14

Jul 22, 2010
You are not crazy. I had the same problem with the S6 I preordered from tmobile but the pinkish/purplish tint was on the upper 1/3 of my screen. Yours does look worse but mine was pretty noticeable as well. It's actually most apparent on grey backgrounds with the tint section looking much darker than the non tinted part of the screen. And I agree, once you see it, you can't unsee it.

I actually looked for it right away when I got my phone because it's a fairly common problem on super amoled screens. Both the display units I look at at Best Buy had it to some extent, though not nearly as bad. I had it on both the S3 and the S4. I was pretty noticeable on the S4 but I just dealt with it. After how much I paid for the S6, I wasn't about to again.

Anyway, I got my replacement last night and am much happier with the screen. It still suffers from the uneven screen tone issue, but its far less noticeable and something I can definitely live with.

Reactions: xsidex

killerz298

Dec 24, 2007
You are not crazy. I had the same problem with the S6 I preordered from tmobile but the pinkish/purplish tint was on the upper 1/3 of my screen. Yours does look worse but mine was pretty noticeable as well. It's actually most apparent on grey backgrounds with the tint section looking much darker than the non tinted part of the screen. And I agree, once you see it, you can't unsee it.

I actually looked for it right away when I got my phone because it's a fairly common problem on super amoled screens. Both the display units I look at at Best Buy had it to some extent, though not nearly as bad. I had it on both the S3 and the S4. I was pretty noticeable on the S4 but I just dealt with it. After how much I paid for the S6, I wasn't about to again.

Anyway, I got my replacement last night and am much happier with the screen. It still suffers from the uneven screen tone issue, but its far less noticeable and something I can definitely live with.
Hrm... how widespread is this issue. I am still on the fence about picking up the S6 and I certainly don't want one if it has uniformity issues. Maybe I'll wait for the second batch to come out before deciding.

nolimit78

May 13, 2009
Kansas City
Hrm... how widespread is this issue. I am still on the fence about picking up the S6 and I certainly don't want one if it has uniformity issues. Maybe I'll wait for the second batch to come out before deciding.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. T-Mobile for me is pretty decent about returns. I noticed some scratches on the heart rate monitor glass and they're shipping one out (about a week delay). Seriously, take the chance it's worth it. This phone is amaze-balls.

PioneerZgZ

Jul 20, 2008
Hello!

So I just wanted to make a brief post and post a pic of my current S6 and why I'm sending it back for a replacement. I noticed today that about 1/4th or 1/5th of my screen (towards the bottom near the home button) is pinkish. It's visible mostly on white images, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it! I've read a few other posts here and there about screen discoloration, and I noticed that Erica Griffin touched upon it on one of her videos. I'm thinking that it has to be a hardware problem, cause I can't see how software would cause this issue. Pics below:

Let me know what you guys think. Am I crazy and making things up in my mind, or does the screen actually have like 2 different color calibrations?! :crying:

-Matt

I also see at least 4 dead pixels on your screen is that right?

I am starting to regreat of preordering..

derWolf_

Nov 13, 2012
Dead pixels? Already so many problems on the start of the device???

Well what do you expect? The device isn't even officially launched yet, what people are getting are some pre-released units. Not to mention that the phone has almost no problems, except the flash and now the dead pixels, but the latter one is something which can happen to everybody. Nobody is immune to dead pixels....

KarlDag

Dec 22, 2013
I've never owned a Samsung smartphone before, but kept reading how amazing their displays are VS iphone and LG, but there are so many threads like this one.. Don't know what to think. I hope the one I get is fine.

kishin14

Jul 22, 2010
Well what do you expect? The device isn't even officially launched yet, what people are getting are some pre-released units. Not to mention that the phone has almost no problems, except the flash and now the dead pixels, but the latter one is something which can happen to everybody. Nobody is immune to dead pixels....

This has nothing to do with preleased units. I got a retail unit that I preordered early. It's probably from the same batch that will be sent to T-Mobile stores on launch day.

This screen issue is something that affects just about all super amoled screens. I've checked out numbers galaxy phones (S4s, S5s, Notes, S6s, etc...) at verizon AT&T, best buy and nearly all suffered from this uneven screen color balance to some degree.

The thing is, in most situations the screen looked absolutely gorgeous. You really can only tell on certain backgrounds (mostly white and various shades of grey). That's why when you go to see the phone at a store with its demo on or casually play with it, you probably won't notice it. But once you get it home and have had a chance to really do things like reading a book against a white background, you'll eventually notice it. As as I've said before, once you see it, you'll always see it.

What matters is how much it'll bother you. My wife and brother-in-law didn't think it was a big deal and would not have exchanged it. My sister and few of my coworkers said they would get a replacement. I got a replacement and am happier for it.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I've never owned a Samsung smartphone before, but kept reading how amazing their displays are VS iphone and LG, but there are so many threads like this one.. Don't know what to think. I hope the one I get is fine.

The screen is amazing. Unless you get an S6 with this screen issue that is as severe as the OPs, you display will look fantasticmost of the time. Like you, I came from a LG G2 and also own a Tab Pro 8.4, which both use LCD panels. Even though my replacement S6 still suffers from this issue a bit, I think it look much better than either of those other devices. This is really apparent on photos and videos. I did a side by side comparison of the newest 1080p Avengers trailer from youtube with the S6 and G2 and the S6 looked much better. I simply love the deep blacks and more vivid colors.

Roflwafflez

Nov 13, 2012
I also see at least 4 dead pixels on your screen is that right?

I am starting to regreat of preordering..

My bad, those aren't dead pixels. Those are likely just pieces of lint or dust cause I took the pic with the S6 on my bed. My replacement unit is set to arrive today, so I'm going to take a side by side pic of both phones on a white screen again to compare the difference. Will post it up when I get it :good:.

-Matt

onthecouchagain

Aug 13, 2010
I wouldn't worry too much about it. T-Mobile for me is pretty decent about returns. I noticed some scratches on the heart rate monitor glass and they're shipping one out (about a week delay). Seriously, take the chance it's worth it. This phone is amaze-balls.

Did Tmobile reship free of charge on shipping and whatever, restocking fees, or any other expenses? Or was the exchange completely free?

Roflwafflez

Nov 13, 2012
Well, second time wasn't a charm lol. Received the replacement unit today and it suffered from the same discoloration on the screen, this time in the upper 1/4th to 1/5th of the screen. I didn't even bother to mess around with it, just packed it right back up and went to UPS and sent it back. At this point, the only option I really have is to wait until the replacement phone is received back at the warehouse, then go into my local Tmobile and get a new device from them in person, THEN send this original phone back via UPS to the warehouse... What a pain in the ass. I'm not sure who to be more upset with, the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through with Tmobile, or the faulty screens/calibration from Samsung. :(

Edit: The only thing I've found that helps with the problem a little is to switch from basic to AMOLED Cinema under the display settings, but the colors look so ridiculous with this setting that I honestly don't know if I can keep it like this. In fact, I don't think changing it to AMOLED mode actually fixes the problem at all, it just distracts my eyes enough with everything else that I don't notice it as much lol.

-Matt

Last edited:

NeoAznMan

Nov 21, 2011
Well, second time wasn't a charm lol. Received the replacement unit today and it suffered from the same discoloration on the screen, this time in the upper 1/4th to 1/5th of the screen. I didn't even bother to mess around with it, just packed it right back up and went to UPS and sent it back. At this point, the only option I really have is to wait until the replacement phone is received back at the warehouse, then go into my local Tmobile and get a new device from them in person, THEN send this original phone back via UPS to the warehouse... What a pain in the ass. I'm not sure who to be more upset with, the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through with Tmobile, or the faulty screens/calibration from Samsung. :(

Edit: The only thing I've found that helps with the problem a little is to switch from basic to AMOLED Cinema under the display settings, but the colors look so ridiculous with this setting that I honestly don't know if I can keep it like this. In fact, I don't think changing it to AMOLED mode actually fixes the problem at all, it just distracts my eyes enough with everything else that I don't notice it as much lol.

-Matt

I had to exchange my device 4 times due to a particle inside the glass screen. I didn't notice about the pink hue until I got to my third device and read this thread. I assume that my first two device I exchanged had the same issue.

I too would rather wait for S6 to be release in-store and hopefully one of the reps can notice the faulty display issue. I'm just getting tired of contacting customer service every time to order a new device and return the old one. My EIP is practically piling up.:p

I just hope that someday the media would pick up on this problem when the device is officially released.

Last edited:

Roflwafflez

Nov 13, 2012
Hate to say but I did say it would be 50/50 chance. Quality control on phones nowadays is terrible.

Sent from my SM-G920T using XDA Free mobile app

Hehe yea, I figured since it was my first device I'd roll the dice and see if I got lucky; didn't happen haha. At this point, I'm just going to return my original S6 as well, have them activate a microSIM in store and throw it in my old Blackberry Z30 until both phones reach the return destination in Texas. After the refunds and everything I'll pick up another S6, in store this time. (I've learned my lesson: I'm never ordering a phone online again. It's gonna be in store or not at all from now on lol).

-Matt

El Mono

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Both mine and my gf's Note 4 suffered from this issue. While it was annoying it didn't seem to bad enough to warrant return/exhange. I was concerned about it on my S6 as well. The funny thing is when I first turned it on I didn't notice anything until I switched the screen to the basic mode and turned the bightness down. Whites are definitely uneven, with a warm spot. I don't think its severe enough to replace. But it does seem to be almost unavoidable. I didn't notice it on my S4 until I went back and examined it. Otherwise, the screen is beautiful. It doesn't help being OCD.
The first time I experience this was on a Nokia Icon - it was severe. Fortunately none of my other devices were to that degree.
el mono

Roflwafflez

Nov 13, 2012
Both mine and my gf's Note 4 suffered from this issue. While it was annoying it didn't seem to bad enough to warrant return/exhange. I was concerned about it on my S6 as well. The funny thing is when I first turned it on I didn't notice anything until I switched the screen to the basic mode and turned the bightness down. Whites are definitely uneven, with a warm spot. I don't think its severe enough to replace. But it does seem to be almost unavoidable. I didn't notice it on my S4 until I went back and examined it. Otherwise, the screen is beautiful. It doesn't help being OCD.
The first time I experience this was on a Nokia Icon - it was severe. Fortunately none of my other devices were to that degree.
el mono

Yea, I hear ya. See my problem is 2 fold: 1) I am pretty ocd when it comes to defects in things, and 2) I've been using TFT LCD screens on multiple phones for awhile now, and this is my first time back on an AMOLED in a long time. Due to that fact, I'm guessing this issue is sticking out a lot more to me than it might others who have been using AMOLED screens for a couple generations now in succession. I can take a few problems with a phone here and there, like a scratch on the metal or whatnot, but when there's a problem with the screen of a device, you can't get away from it. Every time you use the phone, you have to see it :\.

-Matt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uploadfromtaptalk1430043375471.png
    This is my setting for a pink hue at the bottom 1/3 of my screen. You welcome :)
    Guys, I can't stress this enough but believe me when I say that you shouldn't return your device prematurely.

I'm someone who is super obsessive about gadgets, particularly about screens of all shapes and sizes. I've even returned my TV a few times, went through all the hassle just to have alleged perfection...

The new devices always had something else and it kept going.

Trust me, this stars and ends between your ears. My screen has a noticeable tint in the lower quadrant. I obsessed about it for a few days but eventually I made the conscious choice to just use the device and enjoy it.

Acceptance of imperfections and most importantly facing the resulting Anxiety while telling yourself that it's perfectly okay to feel like this and that it will eventually pass is the key to free yourself from the pink torture.

I'm using my device without even notifying the tint anymore.

Sent from my SM-G920F using XDA Free mobile app
    Mines slightly pink but not as bad as my first. But mine looked better than 7 others in shops I saw on display, they were all yellowish and creamy. Not sure what to do now. Any ideas??

(1) Leave this thread and live your life normally. I think while this thread helps us commiserate, when someone suddenly gets a good unit, we all get our hopes raised up... only to be dashed some time later. I'm unclear those who managed to get a 'good' unit after exchanges---did they manage to get a really perfect unit, or did they get one that was liveable? I don't know.

As you said, the tint on your third screen was unnoticeable at first, then annoying, then it seemed to disappear, then when you fixate on it again it becomes irritating. Perhaps it's partly in your mind.

It would help to focus on the numerous capabilities of the phone as compared to its only (okay, probably three if you count the lens shading issue and the lack of MHL--seriously, Samsung?!) flaw. The camera is the awesomest I've ever come across on a phone. Sound quality is exceptional and I can really feel the difference on my headphones with the Wolfson DAC. Wireless charging is probably the best thing since slice bread. The battery life is exceptional for its size and for doing web browsing. My S4 would die after 2 or 3 hours of web browsing. Not with the S6. Remember that many others in this community as well as elsewhere are enjoying the S6 despite having the same flaw (I'm sure many of them have similarly flawed phones but are enjoying it on its merits instead). Look at the people engrossed with battery life discussion; posting awesome camera macro shots, etc.

When I sold my second S6, I went back to my S4, and it felt really slow, old, and cheap. That's why I decided to buy the S6 again despite me fighting against the urge to do so (remember me saying I would wait for a later batch? F uck me!)

(2) Try, try and try again. As I said, it may be a painful process, but hey if your carrier allows unlimited exchanges, why not? Beware that you might end up with a phone with a perfect tint (or lack thereof) but other problems: dust under screen, dead pixels, bright pixels, etc. Or the camera itself could have defects. For me I've decided to stop the lottery game because my phone is otherwise perfect as it is. If there were a couple things wrong I would sell/exchange in a heartbeat.

To be honest, the exchanging game is probably shortening my lifespan. Every time I get a new set my heart beats really fast. I check, check and check, hoping everything is fine. No dead pixels, no dust. (TBH I don't really check for those so intensely anymore, because I'm sure if I look too hard, I'll probably find it). Then the screen tint is still there, on the new phone... That's why I chose to settle instead, despite knowing there's a slim chance I could end up with a less-lemoney unit. There's no point wasting my life on a stupid phone. The phone is supposed to be a tool that helps us do things; we're not supposed to be slaves to it.

(3) Return your phone and solve your cognitive dissonance once and for all. The LG G4 is coming out (or at least, announced) in a few days' time. It has a Super LCD screen, so no AMOLED bull****. The camera is supposedly better with a f/1.8 lens, and has full manual + RAW controls, so camera aficionados need not worry. In fact, I'm contemplating a switch---and it's highly advantageous since the resale price of the S6 will probably be about the same (or even higher!) than the price of a brand new G4, if history is anything to go by.

(4) Design a screen protector that has the reverse-colour tint in areas where your phone has a tint... I don't know how feasible this would be but it could be an option worth exploring?
    I suggest you guys stop being such pussies about the screen and go on with your life.

My phone also has a pink tint but honestly, after 2 days I just got used to it and now I don't see it anymore.

Just enjoy the performance of the phone and go on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using XDA Forums

and that's why samsung can throw ****ty quality screens on the market... "Only 700 bucks and the screen isn't flawless. but who cares..my daddy bought it for me"
    I wrote to Samsung ceo office UK and showed them the images from this thread. The response was that this was considered "within specification" they said I will get an official letter saying this soon... so basically what we find we find unacceptable they are on with spec wise...

Sent from my SM-G920F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app