• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Getting Rid of Cable TV

Search This thread

arncap

Apr 24, 2020
I am looking to ditch my cable TV. I don't want to pay the monthly $90+ for a lousy selection of channels, most of which we either don't watch or that we can stream live online. I watch a lot of pro sports and I am able to stream them from various websites free.

Can anyone suggest how to best set up our 3 household TVs - and with what equipment so that I can make the transition to getting rid of our cable a reality? Currently we simply use HDMI lines to connect a laptop or phone to a TV to stream whatever we want on a big screen. Would it be best to designate 1 device for each TV in order to stream whatever we wish to stream? Would it be best to buy an Amazon fire stick or cube? Or what about a Roku? Apple TV or Google Chromecast?

No idea how to best sort this out. I do know that there are some very inexpensive Internet cable option available these days. For example: https://rivertv.ca/

Please advise if you can to assist with this transition. THANKS!

lmore377

Jul 2, 2016
I'd say get an Android TV device like Chromecast with Google TV or those Onn Tv boxes from Walmart for each TV. Since they're just android at the core (fire tv is also but they don't have gapps) you can do a lot more with them and you usually get the extra Chromecast functionality. If you have OTA TV channels nearby, you can get a USB TV tuner and hook it up to a computer or raspberry pi with Plex installed and it'll let you access and record shows from any device with Plex. You'll need to get Plex pass but it's not too expensive. (Not an ad for Plex I just use and like it a lot)

I am looking to ditch my cable TV. I don't want to pay the monthly $90+ for a lousy selection of channels, most of which we either don't watch or that we can stream live online. I watch a lot of pro sports and I am able to stream them from various websites free.

Can anyone suggest how to best set up our 3 household TVs - and with what equipment so that I can make the transition to getting rid of our cable a reality? Currently we simply use HDMI lines to connect a laptop or phone to a TV to stream whatever we want on a big screen. Would it be best to designate 1 device for each TV in order to stream whatever we wish to stream? Would it be best to buy an Amazon fire stick or cube? Or what about a Roku? Apple TV or Google Chromecast?

No idea how to best sort this out. I do know that there are some very inexpensive Internet cable option available these days. For example: https://rivertv.ca/

Please advise if you can to assist with this transition. THANKS!
I haven't had cable since I lived at home with my parents. I use Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu (through Spotify). I also use the below mentioned setup.

My setup (which I don't condone unless you're a scumbag) is a Raspberry Pi running a Plex server in Docker, connected to an external 8TB HDD. I then have a Nvidia Shield connected to my living room TV and use this to stream all the media I have downloaded on my Plex server. The cool thing about Plex is that you can also connect to your server with phones, tablets, laptops, Firesticks, Rokus, etc. You can also connect to it remotely; I can stream my home server to my work laptop and watch all the Media. With Plex you can also share your "Library" with friends/family. You can create an account for them and give them access.