Getting started with the TCL 10 5G (T790Y) in the absence of root / stock ROMs

Search This thread

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
equid0x, I am looking at possibly getting this phone thru Verizon.

I realize their is no, or probably never will be, root for this phone. I currently have a rooted LG v30 bl unlocked and rooted.

No unlocking the bl and no rooting aside, what do you think of this phone. I doubt I would ever use 5g, but, who knows. For the price point I can get it thru Verizon for $180.00, should I pull the plug and order it?

Not much talk on here after the initial couple of months. I would welcome all responses on this.

One last thing, is there a channel or group on telegram for the TCL that you might be aware of? I can't find one.

Last edited:

equid0x

Jan 18, 2009
equid0x, I am looking at possibly getting this phone thru Verizon.

I realize their is no, or probably never will be, root for this phone. I currently have a rooted LG v30 bl unlocked and rooted.

No unlocking the bl and no rooting aside, what do you think of this phone. I doubt I would ever use 5g, but, who knows. For the price point I can get it thru Verizon for $180.00, should I pull the plug and order it?

Not much talk on here after the initial couple of months. I would welcome all responses on this.

One last thing, is there a channel or group on telegram for the TCL that you might be aware of? I can't find one.
The phone is decent. I don't have many complaints about it other than the smart manager auto-killing background apps which stops notifications. Notifications for e-mail on the secondary account also don't work at all.

Other than that, I've run into a couple of glitches - the nxtvision feature seems to randomly get stuck in easy reading mode. I've since turned that off, which is unfortunate because I like it when it works.

There is a glitch with typing into text boxes where the suggestions fail to come up and typing gets "stuck" until to you tap off somewhere else and tap back to continue. This is incredibly annoying if you spend time on forums.

I think it sometimes fails to vibrate on notifications but I haven't been able to prove it, yet.

The auto brightness takes the brightness way too low in low light. I always have to keep kicking it up a notch.

Other than that, the hardware seems decent and it's pretty quick and has enough storage for my purposes. Good camera, too. The screen is also pretty decent and shows well even in sunlight but I wouldn't classify it as "phenomenal." The battery life is excellent, even with the battery saver stuff turned off.

At $180? Well, it is a lot of phone for the money. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better phone specs wise at that price point. The main flaw is the stock ROM is beta quality, in my opinion. If you can deal with the flaws, fine, but I'm rather surprised this release made it past QA because I consider 2 of the bugs to be total showstoppers. If Alcatel fixes the bugs this phone has the potential to be really great for the price.

If I can get this thing rooted it's a keeper until it dies. Without root? I dunno. I'm already considering selling it. My prior device was the Moto G6 Play which was priced at $120 but had a ROM that was pretty well flawless and had excellent battery life. My worry is that Alcatel/Verizon seem to show next to zero interest in updating this phone, which I paid $400 for. I don't think I'd be nearly as upset about the flaws if I paid $180.

Reactions: gimpy1

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Thx, for your answer, equid0x. It gives me some things to think about. The tone of your reply is going to give me second thoughts about this one. I can buy the moto edge + for just a couple hundred more thru Verizon. I will have to think about that one, too. The moto is a $1400 phone with some pretty good specs. That might be too hard to pass up for the price.
Thx, again.

Army2700Army

Jul 23, 2021
Thx, for your answer, equid0x. It gives me some things to think about. The tone of your reply is going to give me second thoughts about this one. I can buy the moto edge + for just a couple hundred more thru Verizon. I will have to think about that one, too. The moto is a $1400 phone with some pretty good specs. That might be too hard to pass up for the price.
Thx, again.

The phone is decent. I don't have many complaints about it other than the smart manager auto-killing background apps which stops notifications. Notifications for e-mail on the secondary account also don't work at all.

Other than that, I've run into a couple of glitches - the nxtvision feature seems to randomly get stuck in easy reading mode. I've since turned that off, which is unfortunate because I like it when it works.

There is a glitch with typing into text boxes where the suggestions fail to come up and typing gets "stuck" until to you tap off somewhere else and tap back to continue. This is incredibly annoying if you spend time on forums.

I think it sometimes fails to vibrate on notifications but I haven't been able to prove it, yet.

The auto brightness takes the brightness way too low in low light. I always have to keep kicking it up a notch.

Other than that, the hardware seems decent and it's pretty quick and has enough storage for my purposes. Good camera, too. The screen is also pretty decent and shows well even in sunlight but I wouldn't classify it as "phenomenal." The battery life is excellent, even with the battery saver stuff turned off.

At $180? Well, it is a lot of phone for the money. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better phone specs wise at that price point. The main flaw is the stock ROM is beta quality, in my opinion. If you can deal with the flaws, fine, but I'm rather surprised this release made it past QA because I consider 2 of the bugs to be total showstoppers. If Alcatel fixes the bugs this phone has the potential to be really great for the price.

If I can get this thing rooted it's a keeper until it dies. Without root? I dunno. I'm already considering selling it. My prior device was the Moto G6 Play which was priced at $120 but had a ROM that was pretty well flawless and had excellent battery life. My worry is that Alcatel/Verizon seem to show next to zero interest in updating this phone, which I paid $400 for. I don't think I'd be nearly as upset about the flaws if I paid $180.
I had a varient of this phone, it's little sister, without the 5g, TMobile Revvl 4+, same ****, pm uninstall wouldn't work, BUT, disabling does, at least until reboot. "pm disable YourPACKAGENAME"

I downloaded an app viewer playstore and there was like 5 TMobile apps, got the name from the app com.tmobile(some **** I forget) but I disabled all 5, and also could disable that Smart manager, stupid program. If I remember right the Smart Manager stays disabled after reboot, but don't quote me..2 of the TMobile **** comes back after reboot or power off on of phone. So I enabled wireless debugging and downloaded an app on the playstore for a couple dollars that can connect locally on phone with ADB terminal, when any programs pop back in after reboot, I just disable it from the phone locally. Or just pop it in USB on PC and ADB shell, there is a nice windows program that has a gui , can disable easily without typing above command. ADB APPControl v163, again I I diabled all TMobile **** even system files and phone felt way better, improves battery life, performance, potential spyware, also got creative and and disabled aost everything without Android in the file name, including system update and app update, cause I liked the final result..but you can always reenable if ****'s not working right for you..I even disabled hotspot program...again some TMobile **** will reenable at restart, so keep charge before u leave house or wireless debugging with another Android 11 Wireless debugging pair option, or download that local wireless debugging APK on appstore to do locally...hope this helps or works the same as on the next model up, they released on the same day Soo? Maybe...please post more here of anyone tried it , curious to know,,and also below is what y'all talked about earlier .....I took the phone back as I wanna upgrade to 5g varient , ordered one on eBay 150, would appreciate further rooting steps if anyone adventures further or if my advice helped anyone!!

So there is a phone info viewer on GitHub called siarrah or something that people talked about on XDA fyi, worth a shot but forget the link..

equid0x

Jan 18, 2009
I had a varient of this phone, it's little sister, without the 5g, TMobile Revvl 4+, same ****, pm uninstall wouldn't work, BUT, disabling does, at least until reboot. "pm disable YourPACKAGENAME"

I downloaded an app viewer playstore and there was like 5 TMobile apps, got the name from the app com.tmobile(some **** I forget) but I disabled all 5, and also could disable that Smart manager, stupid program. If I remember right the Smart Manager stays disabled after reboot, but don't quote me..2 of the TMobile **** comes back after reboot or power off on of phone. So I enabled wireless debugging and downloaded an app on the playstore for a couple dollars that can connect locally on phone with ADB terminal, when any programs pop back in after reboot, I just disable it from the phone locally. Or just pop it in USB on PC and ADB shell, there is a nice windows program that has a gui , can disable easily without typing above command. ADB APPControl v163, again I I diabled all TMobile **** even system files and phone felt way better, improves battery life, performance, potential spyware, also got creative and and disabled aost everything without Android in the file name, including system update and app update, cause I liked the final result..but you can always reenable if ****'s not working right for you..I even disabled hotspot program...again some TMobile **** will reenable at restart, so keep charge before u leave house or wireless debugging with another Android 11 Wireless debugging pair option, or download that local wireless debugging APK on appstore to do locally...hope this helps or works the same as on the next model up, they released on the same day Soo? Maybe...please post more here of anyone tried it , curious to know,,and also below is what y'all talked about earlier .....I took the phone back as I wanna upgrade to 5g varient , ordered one on eBay 150, would appreciate further rooting steps if anyone adventures further or if my advice helped anyone!!

So there is a phone info viewer on GitHub called siarrah or something that people talked about on XDA fyi, worth a shot but forget the link..

Well, its been a few months! Figured I would follow-up since I'm checking in. I'm almost absolutely 100% sure I tried disabling the smartmanager through ADB and got the same permissions problem. Again - I have the Verizon variant.

I got frustrated a little while back and finally decided to just wipe the whole thing and start over. Interestingly, I haven't had the problem with NXTVISION getting stuck in reading mode since the reset. So, maybe I had a defunct flash right out of the box. However, the other bugs have remained. I have worked around the popup suggestion problem by turning it off.

The phone is pretty usable, but I have to admit, the notification problem really, REALLY bothers me. It seems Alcatel has some apps on a whitelist and they work fine, but some other I use get repeatedly killed in the background and more-or-less decide to show notifications whenever smartmanager decides it will let them - so they work - once in a while. Its a pretty core feature of Android so I am surprised Alcatel hasn't addressed it. The switches in the smartmanager don't seem to fix it, and turning off the power management and whatnot (whatever android is calling it these days) doesn't help, either.

I have other devices on 10 with the same apps and they work fine on other devices, so its a problem with Alcatel's build. Verizon hasn't pushed the 11 update, yet - and I doubt they ever will. Phone is still on the January security update. Not too happy about that.

I pulled out the old G6 for giggles and it immediately loaded up all the missing notifications. *sigh* Well, I'm living with it. I don't really have the cash to throw at another phone right now. The G6 is just too slow for modern apps and doesn't have enough storage.

FWIW I don't think you're missing much without 5G. At least in my area, the 5G is exactly the same speed as the 4G LTE. I haven't really noticed any huge improvements in usability having 5G, though I suppose its better to have more bands when the network is loaded. Might be a different situation in other regions, but the city I live in now, the cell networks seem to lag several YEARS behind the networks in other regions of the US I have lived in. During evening rush hour I can pull about 8Mbps down on a speedtest on 5G - pretty sad if you ask me.

equid0x

Jan 18, 2009
Anyone still looking into this device? I've been doing some research and testing myself. Soon I'll post my findings since I may have a found a way to unlock the bootloader for realsies.
Don't leave us hanging! I put some time into it myself but kinda gave up. I think there is no chance of anything happening on Verizon variant unless we can get a full recovery and unlocked bootloader or firehouse.

Most recently, I was playing with the manual updater which puts the phone in download mode and it won't even update to the latest software, although the downloader does pull it down. I checked the archive and it does not contain a full boot image.

It seems Alcatel has been very careful to keep the boot images out of public circulation.

Reactions: u41c
Don't leave us hanging! I put some time into it myself but kinda gave up. I think there is no chance of anything happening on Verizon variant unless we can get a full recovery and unlocked bootloader or firehouse.

Most recently, I was playing with the manual updater which puts the phone in download mode and it won't even update to the latest software, although the downloader does pull it down. I checked the archive and it does not contain a full boot image.

It seems Alcatel has been very careful to keep the boot images out of public circulation.
Was tinkering around with this, still working out some things. Bootloader unlocking seems impossible but there may be some hope still. Sorry for being a bit vague, I'm just terrible at explaining my own thought process to people. Will definitely be giving you guys more frequent updates on my findings. Keep your fingers crossed guys!

pavelbures2

Jul 8, 2017
Is it possible to install any of GSI ROMs? I have european version with ability to unlock bootloader. I am pretty satisfied with this phone except not working notifications. I contacted local TCL office and I was told they do not limit background apps in any way (LOL) and they do not grant ability to run 3rd party apps correctly. Only way I see is GSI ROM, because there is no standard custom ROM for this phone (at least to my knowledge).

Reactions: u41c
Is it possible to install any of GSI ROMs? I have european version with ability to unlock bootloader. I am pretty satisfied with this phone except not working notifications. I contacted local TCL office and I was told they do not limit background apps in any way (LOL) and they do not grant ability to run 3rd party apps correctly. Only way I see is GSI ROM, because there is no standard custom ROM for this phone (at least to my knowledge).
Not sure, I didn't see anything in the developer settings for GSI updates. Also, are you able to pull down the partition images for us? They might come in handy.

r1pp3d2

Jan 10, 2021
Oklahoma
Was tinkering around with this, still working out some things. Bootloader unlocking seems impossible but there may be some hope still. Sorry for being a bit vague, I'm just terrible at explaining my own thought process to people. Will definitely be giving you guys more frequent updates on my findings. Keep your fingers crossed guys!
there is a qualcomm version of that mtkclient. you just need a firehose. MTKclient only works on mediatek.

Luis931019

Jan 6, 2022
I have 4 TCL 10 5G verizon cell phones and they are blocked by Mips verizon service, which is the app that blocks the sim card, has anyone been able to unlock this cell phone? try to remove the app with ADB but it is impossible

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

As this phone is pretty niche/doesn't have much of a community yet (and may never) I've decided to put a few of my thoughts together in one thread. XDA is my go to for new phones so having an empty device sub makes me sad. None of this may be useful or some of it may be, you tell me.

Purchase:
    Bought December 2020. Total cost: €160
    This is notable as the market price for these is €400+ SIM Free so this was a bit of a steal for the 765G
    Network: Three Ireland, locked

Root?
    See bootloader

Bootloader
    Is locked down tighter than fort knox. There IS a developer option to allow unlocking but it seems to do nothing. This is common with Alcatel/TCL. Hopefully it's broken, I'm not holding my breath though.
    Code:
    C:\Users\Administrator>fastboot oem device-info
                                                       (bootloader) Verity mode: true
    (bootloader) Device unlocked: false
    (bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
    (bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
    OKAY [  0.005s]
    Finished. Total time: 0.008s

Current software?
    Code:
    Build: QKQ1.200329.002 release-keys
    Radio: PAN_GEN_PACK-1.303751.1.304885.8
    Patch Level: Aug 2020

Branded splash?
    Yes, cannot be removed without root

Quick note on physical build:
    Normally I'd always say go on, go bigger. This time I'm finding it a little awkward reaching some stuff. I'm a tall man with reasonably large hands so could get away with anything slightly smaller and reach the whole display. Aspect plays a part here.
    The Google button(thank Christ its not Bixby) on the left is super helpful and also super annoying. Find it really easy to accidentally press when holding it in my left hand which is my default.
    The power button on the far side is equally easy to press fine. The problem is double press is camera but triple press is EMERGENCY. I do not want emergency. FFS TCL. Seems like no way to disable it.
    The gradient on the back is nice but maaaan is it slippy.

Brightness:
    Autobrightness is woeful. Like far too aggressive. Blinds you half the time then dimms down to unreadable. Not a fan. Turned it off.

Battery:
    The usual chinese affair, kill everything running for more than 6 seconds. Get amazing battery life but prevent apps doing anything useful. Play the usual game of protecting half the apps on your phone and remember to do it with new apps. Problem solved, battery life more normal.
    That said the 4500mAh paired with the 765G is pretty sweet.

De-Bloating:
    Okay. So we can't root. Sh1t. But all is not lost. ADB gives us some control.
    This isnt unique to TCL, sample guide here -> https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Once you've got an active adb shell:
    Code:
    pm list packages

That gives us all the installed apps. I'll include that list in post #2
    We can "remove" them with the below
    Code:
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 $package
    eg
    Code:
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.ebay.carrier

Here's most or all of what I removed

Code:
    com.ebay.carrier
    com.amazon.appmanager
    ie.three.threeplus
    ie.three.my3
    com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping
    com.tct.smart.account
    com.ebay.mobile
    com.tct.smart.community
    com.facebook.appmanager
    com.facebook.system
    com.facebook.katana
    com.tct.smart.community
    com.netflix.mediaclient
    com.netflix.partner.activation
    com.spectreit.three
    com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient
    com.tcl.usercare
    com.facebook.services
    com.netflix.partner.activation
    com.spectreit.three
    com.tcl.usercare
    com.tct.smart.notes

I've removed a few at a time in case it causes the system to crash etc. So far so good but do so at your own risk.

Install Youtube Vanced works via normal sideload. IMO really worth doing.

DPI/Scaling:
    Defaults to 360
    Somewhere around 400-420 is better IMO

Network unlocking:
    So far nobody has been able to offer network codes for 272-05 but other networks in the same country are apparently available. Hopefully soon.

More notes, tidbits & complaints as I get them
    - Scratchling
    The 11 Zip is in the other thread folks
    Great write-up. One suggestion, maybe try with pm disable first to verify before doing the pm uninstall.
    great good info about this device,i hope it is available firehose or a method to unlock bootloader
    Google is your friend. Secret Tools V1.4 just choose reboot fast boot then click on do job on the bottom right corner of the picture
    Secret-Tool-Pro.jpg