Getting Started with the X2 - Easy Root and Bloat Clean up [6/3/11]

moz90

Dec 29, 2010
Southern IL (Not chi Town)
Apps ive uninstalled that haven't caused any problems that were not on the list
-ALSO BACK ANY APP YOU UNINSTALL UP WITH TITANIUM BACKUP INCASE YOU NEED AT LATER DATE(I THINK UNINSTALLING DOES MUCH BETTER THAN FREEZING IT FREES UP ALOT MORE MEMORY)
magic smoke wallpapers 2.2.2
video editor lite
twitter
talk 1.3
sticky note
social status
social networking
social messaging service
social messing 2.2.2
skyrock authenticator
skype mobile
pico tts 1.0
picasa authenticator 2.2.2
orkut authenticator
new 2.2.2
myspace authenticator
flickr authenticator 2.2.2

i want to get rid of the stupid music player that comes with it but im afraid it might break something if anyone knows could you please tell me

ryoxsinfar

Jun 15, 2011
The main reason I rooted is because I was unable to play dungeon defenders. I rooted and twice during loads it froze the phone. THe game works great now (no more freeze ups from lack of memory). It doesn't freeze every time but it does happen, anyone else having this issue? Is it just kinks being worked out? Does it potentially have something to do with the tegra chipset?

Feb 3, 2011
Newb here, long time lurker. Upgraded from my X to a X2 today and just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

Rooted and removed bloatware in less than an hour. Phone is much faster now. :)

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
Ugh, if can we backup all the apps with Ti before uninstalling, then reinstall then via Ti if anything goes bad? Just wanna make sure before I screw my phone.

tboy72

Jun 15, 2011
Chilton
I'm new to rooting, and I am a little unclear as to what is meant by mounting my SD card as a disk drive. If I am correct, I need to mount SD Card as disk drive and copy GingerBreak APK to SD Card root.

Could anyone please clarify what or even how I mount my SD card as a disk drive, and copy GingerBreak APK to SD Card root?

This is really the last question I need to have clarified before I root my X2. Thanks.

Bigdragon2k3

Dec 23, 2010
U can download from ur phone there's the link on the first page. Go to settings. Applications and enable usb debugging then just run the apk and root ur device

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

tboy72

Jun 15, 2011
Chilton
U can download from ur phone there's the link on the first page. Go to settings. Applications and enable usb debugging then just run the apk and root ur device

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

So I can just download GingerBreak APK from my phone and not even bother with installing it onto my pc and putting it on my SD card? Just download and install it right from my phone?

vvildcard

Jun 17, 2011
Another way to do the Froyo Exploit Patch:

1. Use Root Explorer or File Expert to mount /system/bin as Read/Write.
2. Use Terminal Emulator to do the following (push Enter after each line):
Code:
su
touch /system/bin/profile
3. Use Root Explorer or File Expert to mount /system/bin as Read.

Note: The first time you run "su", you'll be asked for root access. This closes your keyboard and it may not open. If this happens, just re-open Terminal Emulator and run "su" again. This time, SuperUser will grant permission without prompting, leaving the keyboard open.

elovefire

Mar 9, 2011
why patch and how apk

----""""Froyo Malware Exploit "Patch"*Added 6/3
This tricks an older and current froyo exploit into thinking it has already ran. """"---

what is the point of this? will it help?

Also......

-----""""New Added *6/3
BlurTasks.apk
Cmas.apk
PerformanceManager.apk
StatusWidget.apk
StickNotWidget.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk""""----

how do i freeze these? i dont see them in TiBa..

F.Y.I./411: these questions derive from the 1st post/stating of thread.:confused:

SoCoolAZ

Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
no sweat sally...

d/led gingerbreak onto phone over 3g, was rooted in one minute. TIb to freeze 90% of programs from the original list. I left some of the social media as I use the widgets. Added AdFree, Screenshot ER, Busybox, Rootexplorer to a folder titled "root tools" on my blur.

Question:
my goal with this has been to setup wifi and tethered internet access...can someone suggest a good app for this?

Also, I have frozed bloatware, but have read the benefits of running apps from the mounted sdcard-ext vs sdcard folder which is located on native device memory. Can anyone provide a good link for instructional on this? Sorry about the off-topic nature of this section of my post, this is the best thread I've found.

Still getting no love on my mp4 playback. Just grabbed vlc player from market. I'm going to try that route...I'll let ya'all know how it goes.

Great thread, thanks to all contributors.

SoCoolAZ

Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
wireless tether has me connected with laptop.

Added smartbench and terminal emulator to my root tools folder. Going to try vlc sharing from laptop in order to fix video problem.

tboy72

Jun 15, 2011
Chilton
Rooted!

So I finally rooted my X2. It went flawlessly and took about a minute. Now I have even more questions.

First, I was wondering about the Superuser app. What is with the Apps, Log, and Settings screen? What Apps are listed there (so far only Titanium Backup is listed there), and what is it keeping a log of?

Second, I see the free version of Titanium Backup doesn't do a whole lot does it? You need the Pro version to freeze apps. My question is which is a better app for freezing apps, Titanium Backup Pro or Bloat Freezer?

Third, which app is better for controlling CPU, Set CPU, or Droid Overclock? I have the Droid X2, which we all know has a dual Nvidia Tegra 2 CPU? What is the stock CPU speed? What is the max speed we can safely go with this device? Obviously I am concerned about temps. What is the highest temperature I can safely run my CPU at? I am assuming Set CPU has the option to lower the clock rate when certain temperatures are reached.

Fourth, I know there are advantages to moving the Apps to the SD card. How do we do that, and can it be done with Titanium Backup Pro?

Thanks for all the help. This forum is indispensable.

tboy72

Jun 15, 2011
Chilton
Hello All!

This is a quick "guide" to get you going on your new Droid X2. The X2 can be easily rooted using Gingerbreak. To use the exploit make sure you have USB Debugging enabled and install the Gingerbreak apk courtesy of Chainfire. For more information of how it works visit Chainfire's page here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044765.

Root X2 using Gingerbreak
Instructions- Ensure you have your SD card inserted and mounted, enable USB debugging and Install gingerbreak apk. Click on Root Device. Your phone will reboot and you will have Superuser installed when your phone is rooted.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?rdan1eqfk7ce0wz

Host File to block Ads*Added 6/3
Here is a host file that will block ads within apps. I have slightly modified this host file so that it doesn't break zynga games and a few others. Adfree blocks nearly everything (which is good), but can break the functionality of some games and apps.
Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?a1nynz5bni766ad

GPS Mod*Added 6/3
Here is a modded gps.config file to lock in GPS faster. It changes the GPS satellite location to the US instead of North America.
Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?sonmbwj9c30m8s9

Froyo Malware Exploit "Patch"*Added 6/3
This tricks an older and current froyo exploit into thinking it has already ran. All you need to do is place a blank file (created in linux) with the name of "profile" and place it in system/bin. I have created a zip file with the profile file inside. I had to place it within a zip file since you cannot upload empty files to mediafire.
Instructions: Extract the zip and use root explorer (mount R/W) to place the profile file in system/bin.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pkl6zhq94w1jqbo

Spare Parts for X2*Added 6/8
Here is a stripped down Cyanogenmod spare parts for our phones if anyone would like it. It doesn't have all the crap the market version comes along with. You can use this to speed up window and transition animations and lock the launcher in memory.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?amd9s9bacgyadba

We do not have an SBF for our phones yet if you choose to remove the apps you will not be able to restore at this time.

Safe List of apps to remove/Freeze (recommended to freeze, but I removed mine and have had no issues)

DO NOT REMOVE AUTHENTICATING APPS!! IT WILL BREAK CONTACTS FUNCTIONALITY!! IF YOU USE AN APP OR WIDGET THEN DONT REMOVE IT!
I will add more to the list as I find them
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Backup Assistant
Backup Assistant Client
Blockbuster
City ID
DLNA 0709.69
DLNAsystemService
Emergency Alerts
Help Center
Homescreen tips
IM 3.0.4.6
IM presence
Lets golf
My Verizon (May have force closes after removed but will be fine when rebooted)
News 2.2.2
NFL Mobile
NFS Shift
Quickoffice
Rich Location
Tasks 1.0
VCAST Apps
VCAST Music
VCAST Videos
Voice Commands - Will remove dialer voice searching functionality (VSuite.apk)
Voicemail - Remove the visual voicemail
VZ Navigator

New Added *6/3
BlurTasks.apk
Cmas.apk
PerformanceManager.apk
StatusWidget.apk
StickNotWidget.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk
The GingerBreak APK you posted worked flawlessly. Thanks.

How do I go about freezing the APKs in your list of apps to freeze or remove? Can that be done with Titanium Backup as well?