Getting Started with the X2 - Easy Root and Bloat Clean up [6/3/11]

Search This thread

Dark_Wizard

Aug 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
What would be nice is for someone to post a backup of all apps they removed based on the list so if someone uninstalled they at least can get them back. Helps maintain the thread from those asking for a backup.

I would supply but I froze all mine.

Dark_Wizard

Aug 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Did you use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze your apps?
Uhmm, did you even read my post? I stated "I would supply but I froze all mine". I was only making a suggestion for those that DID NOT freeze the apps but uninstalled without backing them up, this was a means to keep this thread clean from those "Can anyone supply this as I uninstalled blah blah" posts.

tboy72

Jun 15, 2011
Chilton
Uhmm, did you even read my post? I stated "I would supply but I froze all mine". I was only making a suggestion for those that DID NOT freeze the apps but uninstalled without backing them up, this was a means to keep this thread clean from those "Can anyone supply this as I uninstalled blah blah" posts.

Obviously I read your post and obviously I know you froze your apps. What I asked was if you used Titanium Pro to freeze them.

I am trying to decide which app is better for freezing apps, Titanium Pro or Bloat Freezer.

Did you use Titanium Pro? Can anyone tell me which one is better for freezing apps and overall use in general? I wouldn't uninstall my bloatware apps, I would only freeze them.

nitroglycerine33

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2010
IA
What would be nice is for someone to post a backup of all apps they removed based on the list so if someone uninstalled they at least can get them back. Helps maintain the thread from those asking for a backup.

I will zip them up and post it later today.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: spr0k3t

Dark_Wizard

Aug 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Obviously I read your post and obviously I know you froze your apps. What I asked was if you used Titanium Pro to freeze them.

I am trying to decide which app is better for freezing apps, Titanium Pro or Bloat Freezer.

Did you use Titanium Pro? Can anyone tell me which one is better for freezing apps and overall use in general? I wouldn't uninstall my bloatware apps, I would only freeze them.
I used Titanium Pro and have not tried the Bloat Freezer. I was able to freeze all apps as listed on the first post but not able to freeze the additions as I like others cannot see them so I'm not sure if it is a Titanium issue or not. Hope this helps.

Reactions: tboy72

wdenker

Jun 5, 2010
I have them already if someone wants to give me somewhere to upload them to. Megaupload keeps erroring on the upload. I am going to try from another computer but if someone can get me a legit place to upload them to I will do it.

Last edited:

WolfsFang

Jun 20, 2011
When installing gingerbreak does it really matter if you format your sd? I installed and rooted it without formating my card. It seems as it works, i can tell a performance difference. Also i thought that some of the icon's change? Or is it because we got motoblur?

spr0k3t

Jun 20, 2011
Just got the Droid X2 yesterday. Wasn't thrilled with the massive amounts of bloat thrown at it by default. This really helped clean up a lot of the mess. Rooted clean and easy. Now to wait for a custom rom.

Installed Gingerbreak directly from the link on the site. At first I got the error message stating the browser did not support this format (apk), so using another browser solved the issue.

spr0k3t

Jun 20, 2011
Personally speaking, motoblur is junk. I swapped my launcher over to ADW (free in the market), that may be a bit more familiar to you if you have used an android device before.

hga101

Jun 20, 2011
Awesome list. I didn't know about this list when I froze some apps on my X2. I removed my Verizon and it wouldn't stop saying force close, so I got worried but after a restart it is working fine.

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
Great list. After a nightmare involving an almost-bricked phone that I had to replace (thanks, yahoo contacts >_>) I re-rooted the new phone, and then un-rooted after removing bloat, but there were a few apps I skipped because I didn't know if they were safe to take off (eg, DNLA, rich locations). So now, as soon as I can get my hands back on it, I'll rip some more of these off.
Thanks NG33.

iggyst00ge

Jun 28, 2011
Indianapolis
thanks for the great help

Newb here, long time lurker. Upgraded from my X to a X2 today and just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

Rooted and removed bloatware in less than an hour. Phone is much faster now. :)

First Droid phone (technically the second, since I returned a Samsung Fascinate after five days) and first rooting. Went super smooth. Great thread. Thanks for all the help getting this done as painlessly as possible.

Chris

3UR0TR45H

Jun 29, 2011
Bellingham
Went off perfectly and phone is running awesome. Just compared with my wife's facinate and the X2 absolutely runs circles around it!

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

spr0k3t

Jun 20, 2011
Titanium Backup Pro is quite awesome... however, Bloat Freezer I've heard works as well (also posted in this thread).

INeedYourHelp

Mar 28, 2010
did anyone notice any negative effects from ad free app? The whole point is that it auto-updates for you. Having to manually update the hosts file will became a chore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All!

This is a quick "guide" to get you going on your new Droid X2. The X2 can be easily rooted using Gingerbreak. To use the exploit make sure you have USB Debugging enabled and install the Gingerbreak apk courtesy of Chainfire. For more information of how it works visit Chainfire's page here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765.

Root X2 using Gingerbreak
    Instructions- Ensure you have your SD card inserted and mounted, enable USB debugging and Install gingerbreak apk. Click on Root Device. Your phone will reboot and you will have Superuser installed when your phone is rooted.
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?rdan1eqfk7ce0wz

Host File to block Ads*Added 6/3
    Here is a host file that will block ads within apps. I have slightly modified this host file so that it doesn't break zynga games and a few others. Adfree blocks nearly everything (which is good), but can break the functionality of some games and apps.
    Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?a1nynz5bni766ad

GPS Mod*Added 6/3
    Here is a modded gps.config file to lock in GPS faster. It changes the GPS satellite location to the US instead of North America.
    Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?sonmbwj9c30m8s9

Froyo Malware Exploit "Patch"*Added 6/3
    This tricks an older and current froyo exploit into thinking it has already ran. All you need to do is place a blank file (created in linux) with the name of "profile" and place it in system/bin. I have created a zip file with the profile file inside. I had to place it within a zip file since you cannot upload empty files to mediafire.
    Instructions: Extract the zip and use root explorer (mount R/W) to place the profile file in system/bin.
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pkl6zhq94w1jqbo

Spare Parts for X2*Added 6/8
    Here is a stripped down Cyanogenmod spare parts for our phones if anyone would like it. It doesn't have all the crap the market version comes along with. You can use this to speed up window and transition animations and lock the launcher in memory.
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?amd9s9bacgyadba

We do not have an SBF for our phones yet if you choose to remove the apps you will not be able to restore at this time.

Safe List of apps to remove/Freeze (recommended to freeze, but I removed mine and have had no issues)

DO NOT REMOVE AUTHENTICATING APPS!! IT WILL BREAK CONTACTS FUNCTIONALITY!! IF YOU USE AN APP OR WIDGET THEN DONT REMOVE IT!
    I will add more to the list as I find them
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon MP3
    Backup Assistant
    Backup Assistant Client
    Blockbuster
    City ID
    DLNA 0709.69
    DLNAsystemService
    Emergency Alerts
    Help Center
    Homescreen tips
    IM 3.0.4.6
    IM presence
    Lets golf
    My Verizon (May have force closes after removed but will be fine when rebooted)
    News 2.2.2
    NFL Mobile
    NFS Shift
    Quickoffice
    Rich Location
    Tasks 1.0
    VCAST Apps
    VCAST Music
    VCAST Videos
    Voice Commands - Will remove dialer voice searching functionality (VSuite.apk)
    Voicemail - Remove the visual voicemail
    VZ Navigator

New Added *6/3
    BlurTasks.apk
    Cmas.apk
    PerformanceManager.apk
    StatusWidget.apk
    StickNotWidget.apk
    WeatherWidget.apk
    WorldClockWidget.apk
    Giving yourself root access won't keep you from receiving the OTA, but there's a chance something might go wrong-- or so Motorola warns. Gingerbreak has an "unroot" option, however, so just do that before updating and things should go fine. And, unfortunately, you can not simply remove Motoblur. You have home/launcher replacements like LauncherPro and ADW Launcher though, and those help speed up the phone on the home screen. Root also gives you the chance to remove unwanted apps like the ones above, which can be quite helpful in speeding up the system as a whole.

On the bright side, blue blur is a helluva lot better than old blur.
    Is there any way to do this without root explorer? I already have Astro and found the hosts file but I can't even copy it.

You need to have something to mount the system at Read/Write. Astro does not have permissions to do this.
    Yes it is that easy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

I will zip them up and post it later today.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App