Getting the most out of our 8T: OxygenOS + custom kernel or custom ROM?

Search This thread

Boing7898

Aug 10, 2011
Hello guys.
I bought an 8T during Christmas and I instantly installed LineageOS because I wanted less bloatware as possibile and more privacy, since I read some articles regarding OxygenOS telemetry and sending data back to servers in China.
I also installed a custom kernel which was GREAT, battery drain was super low and it was so smooth, but since latest builds LineageOS doesn't work with custom kernels anymore because WiFi breaks.

When flashing back Lineage's kernel I couldn't help but wonder: am I using the device to its best with this setup? I really miss the custom kernels and I noticed that most of them are supported only on OxygenOS. OxygenOS could also probably have proprietary code that is optimized to the device and full support (for example, I lose the 48 MP camera with custom ROMs. Not a big deal at all, but still)

So what do you guys think? Do you like OxygenOS or prefer custom ROMs? Can I remove enough bloatware to make it a bit lighter and secure? Is it too early to use custom ROMs with this new device?
Let me know what you guys think and what your 8T setups look like!

Thanks.

Kollachi

• Aug 24, 2013
    Osnabrück
    Latest OOS + root + Bluspark Kernel

Seriously I don't care about some data which will be send back to China. Not even sure if it's real.

I have deactivated all bloatware apps which I don't need or use with swift backup.

Idle drain is about 1% and i can easily reach 7h and more SOT without any other battery optimizations or kernel settings. Wifi, Data, 120hz for example always on.

So far I'm happy with it.

Boing7898

Aug 10, 2011

Seriously I don't care about some data which will be send back to China. Not even sure if it's real.

I have deactivated all bloatware apps which I don't need or use with swift backup.

Idle drain is about 1% and i can easily reach 7h and more SOT without any other battery optimizations or kernel settings. Wifi, Data, 120hz for example always on.

The main reason I'm tempted to go back to stock OxygenOS is, as you already know, the custom kernels low battery drain and great performance. I tried both Radioactive kernel and Bluspark kernel and they're amazing. I'm really tempted now to go back to stock; I just hope Oneplus won't be super slow with the updates!

Thanks for your opinion.

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
    I am just using OOS right now, haven't had the time to try and remove/block some bloatware yet. I like oxygen OOS so haven't seen a reason to go to a custom rom. Would love to go google less, but a lot of apps I use require google services to work.

I am quite happy with the stock kernel battery time. But might try out a custom kernel soon, if so which one would you recommend. bluspark or revolution kernel?

I am also sure there will be an increase in custom kernels that support linage OS soon as well, if you just wait.

Reactions: Boing7898

Boing7898

Aug 10, 2011
    I am just using OOS right now, haven't had the time to try and remove/block some bloatware yet. I like oxygen OOS so haven't seen a reason to go to a custom rom. Would love to go google less, but a lot of apps I use require google services to work.

I am quite happy with the stock kernel battery time. But might try out a custom kernel soon, if so which one would you recommend. bluspark or revolution kernel?
    I would recommend you to try both of them for a week and judge by yourself. I started with Radioactive kernel which was really good, that's what made me fall in love with custom kernels. I tried switching to Bluspark kernel to see if WiFi worked there, but it didn't, just like Radioactive kernel, so I didn't really use it that much.

But now, if both would support LineageOS (or if I'm going back to stock), I'd go for Bluspark. The developer was really helpful in trying to debug why the kernel wasn't working for LineageOS, he even did 4/5 test builds just for me to try to debug it, even if he clearly wrote he didn't care about debugging custom ROMs.

Also, the features look better tbh, but flashing a custom kernel takes like 1 minute, so you can switch between the two really easily if you want to try both of them.

I am also sure there will be an increase in custom kernels that support linage OS soon as well, if you just wait.
    I'm not sure about that, I asked LineageOS developer and he clearly said he doesn't care about making his work harder just to support custom kernels, and custom kernels developers tried (like eng_stk for Bluspark) multiple times with no success, I think he kinda gave up; he told me it was something he wasn't going to try to tackle.
    Tried asking in Radioactive kernel's thread but they told me that "I was lucky it even worked before.....it's not for AOSP roms"

jwarrior319

Aug 22, 2015
    Black Creek, wi
    LG V60 ThinQ
    OnePlus 8T
    I tried lineage and evolutionX roms but both times moved back to OOS. Its the first stock rom i like. I use magisk canary for root with a few modules and radioactive kernel which gives awesome battery life. I didn't even realize the difference till now. I haven't reinstalled radioactive yet since moving back to stock rom yesterday and the difference is night and day to me.

ram4ufriends

I tried lineage and evolutionX roms but both times moved back to OOS. Its the first stock rom i like. I use magisk canary for root with a few modules and radioactive kernel which gives awesome battery life. I didn't even realize the difference till now. I haven't reinstalled radioactive yet since moving back to stock rom yesterday and the difference is night and day to me.
    Blu Spark is pretty good too..Yes, OOS with either Radioactive or Blu Spark gives stellar battery life...Overnight I am losing 0% battery for 8 hours which is unheard of at least for me...

Boing7898

Aug 10, 2011
    Hmm, I might wait some time to see if some other ROMs come out or I can somehow install a custom kernel, before switching back to stock. But at least I know that OxygenOS is pretty good stock! Thanks for your opinion guys. I hope Oneplus will keep releasing updates for quite some time then.

Reactions: jwarrior319

Boing7898

Aug 10, 2011
    Edit: Idle drain is the same now as Bluspark. Let's see after another day.
    Thanks for the update. I went back to stock OxygenOS and installed Bluspark. I would've tried Neutrino but I noticed it doesn't have a lot of features yet, like it misses Wireguard support and vibration intensity support. Let me know how it goes for you!

Reactions: Kollachi

Kollachi

• Aug 24, 2013
    Osnabrück
    Thanks for the update. I went back to stock OxygenOS and installed Bluspark. I would've tried Neutrino but I noticed it doesn't have a lot of features yet, like it misses Wireguard support and vibration intensity support. Let me know how it goes for you!

So far it's pretty good. Got 9h SOT yesterday at almost the same usage. With Bluspark it was like 8h maybe. They are both great kernel. Performance is similar and also system is very smooth.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have tried other custom ROMs, but always ends up going back to Stock. OOS is pretty solid at this point minus a couple of minor issues. Something always doesn't work on custom ROMs

Blu Spark is pretty good too..Yes, OOS with either Radioactive or Blu Spark gives stellar battery life...Overnight I am losing 0% battery for 8 hours which is unheard of at least for me...
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone