Gimmick or useful feature? How often do you use your S-Pens?

Search This thread

DanDroidian

Jun 7, 2011
Phnom Penh
That's not the best analogy, but one reason is because people may want to use it for a personal media device. If you're going to use it to watch a lot of videos, for web surfing, and playing games then the bigger screen is great. Also there's huge battery capacity.

Yeah, i would bought this BEAST with or without the Spen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

ardatdat

Jun 13, 2010
Travel around; but XDA x24
Maybe real-life examples explain all these:

1) When my boss suddenly call me into the room. I will grep my Note 2, take out the pen and jot down all important notes -> send as gmail -> follow up on gmail

2) Take out the pen, draw something, easy clip -> whatsapp to my friend.

3) Sunny day? Take a photo -> edit -> take out pen to write comments -> post on facebook

4) Just take out the pen and play tic-tac-toe with my friend :good:

5) Much more to be discovered by you :cool:

Reactions: DanDroidian

karthiksn

Oct 12, 2012
Noida
My main reason behind buying this was definitely the S-Pen. I like to draw a lot and was first using the S-Note for it which I later realised was a little tough to use for illustration purposes. I have started using Sketchbook Express and I have to say the S-Pen is great with it. I am planning to buy the paid version. The major problem is that the S-Pen is too light which makes it hard for me to get the lines right when drawing. I also realised that Sketchbook is the only app out there that is good for sketching but sadly it cannot utilise S-Pen's 1024 pressure sensitivity.

Other than this I also use it a lot to take notes on certain things and sometimes even when I am bored with the regular finger swyping I tend to use it.

kpip

Jan 14, 2011
I used to carry around a notebook all the time, and like to draw little pictures with my notes, so in that case the note is perfect for me. It is very useful to have my notes synced with dropbox as well.

oriondream

Nov 6, 2012
I do not have the Note 2 yet but seriously considering getting when it comes out on Verizon. Being in New York (cold winters) another potential application for it - using the stylus when it is too cold to take off my mittens/ gloves.

Damn I am so smart :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009
I am not any kind of artist and my hand writing generally is bad, and actually with this pen even worse than on paper. Still I do use it quite often. I really love the feature I can hover it over places and I get this pop-up window. So useful. Also I do take notes with it.
Too bad the s-note application doesnt seem to put the handwriting on one line. Would be very good.

geovas77

Aug 12, 2012
l use the Spen all the time, it is a hell of a lot more accurate than my fat fingers and takes this device to a whole different level.Just the fact that it recognises my crappy handwriting is a technological miracle!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

sz1a

Jun 22, 2010
I am developing an app and the note lets me draw wireframes and mockups of screens on the go, annotate them, and attach to my Google drive which in turn is shared with my programmer.

Or, jot down concepts and attach to an email.

Or, take a photo, outline the face and then delete the photo.

Pretty creative thing, I love it!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

gsibble

Jan 10, 2008
I honestly barely use it. Surprised by how infrequently it comes out in fact.

However, I would still have bought the phone anyways. I love the big screen and amazing performance. S-Pen for me was not a big selling point.

strboy

Feb 22, 2009
Bronx NY
I actually find that I use it quite a bit, and it also makes drawing (I use Sketchbook) much more enjoyable, I purchased sketchbook when I owned my HD2...it got 2 - 3 uses back then, I've already created 3-4 drawings...I'll post em soon

Ive taken out the spen to jot down a few numbers and it really makes a difference, people are always impressed...it makes it more personal, and it makes me want to pull my note2 out more.

I could live without it....but I a very very happy that I don't have to, I'm sure my usage will go up and down, but I will appreciate it when I do use it

Wooba99

Dec 20, 2011
When I left Palm OS some years ago the thing I missed more than anything was the stylus. The S Pen was definitely a factor in my purchase. I was surprised that I didn't use it much at first, however now that I've owned it a few weeks I'm finding that I use it more and more. It makes playing sudoko a pleasure..

manjeev

Nov 25, 2011
Hi,
I use it a lot! More than Note 1 I had before and love the improvements!! The best thing is it makes sense of my scribbling which I myself at times fail to read after a little bit time has elapsed after jotting down something!!!
Its really useful when you are on a call and need to note down something. Then again my job involves explaining things to lot of people and there's no better way than to sketch.
Cheers!!!!

DanDroidian

Jun 7, 2011
Phnom Penh
I used it for this.

7u4e5a8y.jpg

It's a start.

:D

Psykko0

Nov 24, 2011
To mention it straight away, I have had this phone for about a month now.
I use the S-Pen, but not constantly. It's a nice addon to the phone, but nothing I would absolutely require the phone to have with my usual activities.

billygr

Oct 28, 2012
NRW
now that i'm thinking about it, since i bought note2 about 3,5 weeks ago, i can only remember 10 times i'm pulling that spen. 5x to quicky write down phonenumbers while receiving call, 2x to write some note because i dont have any paper nearby (and no , it wasn't in a toilet), 1x to show direction to a stranger, and 2x to show how the new spen works to some friends... so i'd say spen is only like a tweak that you won't missed but if it's there, it's nice that could use it...

henriquesb

Oct 2, 2010
Have you guys ever tried enabling Continuous Input and disabling Pen Detection?

The pen works awesomely well with Swype-mode, probably even faster than with handwriting recognition. That's how I'm writing right now, with One-Handed Operation enabled which fits me better.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
TBH the S-Pen is one of the big reasons I am getting the GN2 (and that Verizon is carrying it). I find the overall benefits to be of great use to me otherwise I would just look at the Droid DNA, no thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Personally I love the spen on the note II it is such a huge improvement from the first. I am still learning all of the tricks and shortcuts, but so far its amazing. Only gripe is that I find myself always trying to touch the capacitive buttons with it... which im sure you know doesn't work.
    I bought the original Note thinking I'd never use it. I actually used it a lot, and now I still do with the Note 2! It's very useful when you're on the go, or on a phone call, or just need to write something down VERY quickly. Now on the Note 2 it's even more useful, and a million times more comfortable in the hand:
    It's thicker, more ergonomic, and as soon as I take it out of the silo, it opens a memo which saves me a lot of time :D hehe. I love it! Fantastic pen.
    S-pen gestures

Personally I love the spen on the note II it is such a huge improvement from the first. I am still learning all of the tricks and shortcuts, but so far its amazing. Only gripe is that I find myself always trying to touch the capacitive buttons with it... which im sure you know doesn't work.

The s-pen can emulate the menu and back capacitive keys. Press the button on the s-pen and draw a < any where on the screen to emulate the back button, similiarly draw a ^ to emulate the menu button. Unfortunately, there is no short cut to emulate the home button, as far as I know, hope samsung comes up with a gesture to emulate the home button.
    I use the S-Pen to pick my nose.

I use it as a que-tip..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone