Gingerbread for Galaxy S in March confirms Samsung

Search This thread

4ltair

Aug 20, 2009
Blaj
Fingers crossed ;) ...

On a more serious note, more and more "confirmations" about 2.3 for I9000 seems to appear, which means that might be some truth behind us getting the update.

allotrios

Sep 20, 2010
i wish they fixed existing problems with 2.2.1 instead. Things like:

huge battery drain with HSDPA (for example google maps with HSDPA on burns 10% in 10-15 min)

very slow Wireless Access point and 3g speed in general.

There seems to be a big problem with the 3g/HSDPA drivers

SkinBobUk

Jun 5, 2010
If Samsung are going to succeed with android then this is a positive move in the right direction.

Especially if they beat HTC to it.

Sent From My GalaxyS Iphone Killer

T

Tehpriest

huge battery drain with HSDPA (for example google maps with HSDPA on burns 10% in 10-15 min)

I thought that was what Upgrades did. Fix probems and add features?

Battery drain. Every smartphone I know eats the battery when using GPS it is a processor hungry application/screen/gps

Not sure what your getting from your accesspoint but 3G is capped at 350Kbs up so it will never be fast.

What problem? Mine works perfectly...

rachitboom2

Oct 15, 2010
Well quite frankly i really doubt that we will be getting 2.3 in march, i mean before 2.2 was released "officially" we already had plenty of leaked 2.2 roms and the same happened with 2.2.1, and if 2.3 is going to be released in a month shouldnt there be at least 1 leaked 2.3 rom ?
Think about it...

Still it would be awesome if sammy pulls this off, i.e. first to get 2.3 (after google of coarse)...

kezgez

Jan 24, 2010
I am in the uk and have a branded galaxy S and im still on 2.2, why havent we all got 2.2.1 surely we ought to get that b4 the 2.3 update I am on o2, can anyone tell me if they have heard anything about o2 giving the update

GreenSGS

Feb 11, 2011
Amsterdam
Before we put too much hope,one bad news breaking in that google confirms,screen color problem with gingerbread on nexus s.

feedproxy.google.com/~r/androidcentral/~3/pZV8AEzhi0k/nexus-s-233-update-bringing-unwanted-screen-issues

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
I'd love to be rocking some Gingerbread on my Galaxy S. :p But, I'd even more like Cyanogenmod 7 on it... Let's hope they at least release the sources a little quicker this time and they turn out to be helpful for the CM7 guys.

Jan 15, 2011
Devon

Just run speedtest against the london server and got 1.23 mbit/sec.

You should hop over to 3

T

Tehpriest

I am in the uk and have a branded galaxy S and im still on 2.2, why havent we all got 2.2.1 surely we ought to get that b4 the 2.3 update I am on o2, can anyone tell me if they have heard anything about o2 giving the update

The only reason that everyone has not yet got the 2.2.1 yet is that the networks O2, Three etc etc have not approved it. Complain to them in writting.

lttldvl

Feb 17, 2011
Inverurie
But if the updates are dealt with through Kies, which last time I checked it was a Samsung program, there should be no reason as to Three blocking it, whether approved or not.

I was talking to a support guy from 3 and apparently all they do with handsets that they get is install a couple of apps and lock it to their network. The software is otherwise as it would come direct from Samsung if you bought the handset from them directly.

Unless the guy was blowing smoke (which is always possible ha ha!)

allotrios

Sep 20, 2010
I thought that was what Upgrades did. Fix probems and add features?

Battery drain. Every smartphone I know eats the battery when using GPS it is a processor hungry application/screen/gps

Not sure what your getting from your accesspoint but 3G is capped at 350Kbs up so it will never be fast.

What problem? Mine works perfectly...

You don't know many smartphones then

with 2.1 (JM9) battery was not a problem. I am not sure what they did with froyo (and even more with 2.2.1) that messed up the battery so badly. It is heavily related to data, especially HSDPA data. If I switch to 2g and turn data off (and background sync off), I get 1% per 10 hours. Turn data on under HSDPA = 10% in 10 minutes.

GPS is not as power hungry as you think. It is just a receiver. My N900 could use GPS for 4 hours no problem. And it wasn't very good on battery either.

Regarding 3g speed, I get about 200kbps. With HSDPA I get about 1Mbit. Same sim on a HD2 got 4Mbit.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone