• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Gingerbread/Nexus S Browser lag

Search This thread

zoobix

Jul 18, 2010
I've had my Nexus S since it came out and I've been having terrible, consistent lag in the broswer. Even when I'm trying to view websites for mobile devices.

I understand that it can be laggy while the page is still loading but after its done it still lags. Choppy all over while scrolling. Pinch to zooming is also very choppy. My.Nexus One handled web browsing better with more framerates and less chop.

I've tried a factory reset and some other things

Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Reactions: babbit

cshih2

Dec 18, 2010
same to me, very very disappointed with nexus s. from what i read so far there is no fix at all. i might switch back to Nexus one with snapdragon processor.

ericc191

Jan 28, 2007
West Fork
I just picked mine up and do indeed experience browser lag before and after going to the market and installing flash 10.1. I set it to on demand for now, which fixes that problem, but I wish it would just work.

allen099

Feb 22, 2010
New York
I also don't have much lag, but sometimes it is noticeable when flicking through apps. Install a task killer (like Advanced Task Killer) and see how much free RAM you have on top. That's most likely your issue. This phone has a painstakingly low amount of available RAM for us to use towards open apps. Cyanogen's ROMs usually double the amount, so can't wait for it to drop.

-A-P-M-

May 4, 2010
Today I have seen this hands on:

Look at 2:10 - isn't this too much lag ? I went to same page with my current HTC Desire and it scrolls up and down with almost no lag. :confused:

zoobix

Jul 18, 2010
I uninstalled Flash Player just to see if it still did it and it does. Its very bad, almost unusable.. even on mobile pages.

J

JupiterDroid

Its because flash is not optimised for gingerbread yet, nothing more, nothing less;)

all will be solved in an update;)

JD

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
Its because flash is not optimised for gingerbread yet, nothing more, nothing less;)

all will be solved in an update;)

JD

no thats not it.

its the stupid GPU that needs an driver update so the browser can use the gpu for better performance. the galaxy S has the same stupid issue

the desire hd and as far as i know the G2 has much better scrolling due to the gpu assist in the browsing.
you cant count on samsung to do anything right really .

Last edited:

gogol

May 20, 2005
Eh, are you trolling here? Sorry, for asking that question.

Do you own Samsung Galaxy S? I guess not.

Read this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=873364&highlight=hummingbird

Android 2.2.1 update for Samsung Galaxy S did fix the browser lag.

no thats not it.

its the stupid GPU that needs an driver update so the browser can use the gpu for better performance. the galaxy S has the same stupid issue

the desire hd and as far as i know the G2 has much better scrolling due to the gpu assist in the browsing.
you cant count on samsung to do anything right really .

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
Eh, are you trolling here? Sorry, for asking that question.

Do you own Samsung Galaxy S? I guess not.

Read this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=873364&highlight=hummingbird

Android 2.2.1 update for Samsung Galaxy S did fix the browser lag.

no i am not really. and yeah i did own a galaxy S. and now my bro who live with me has DHD. i was being serious. its not a 2.3 issue. because it lagged bad at 2.2 as well on galaxy S .. all it need is a driver. or some of the good guys here to fix it. like voodoo lag fix for example. but for the browser

you are not noticing . its not 2.3 with the issue. its the gpu it self. we are both agreeing that a driver can fix this. but a driver is for the hardware. not the 2.3 lol

Last edited:

gogol

May 20, 2005
Yes, it could be.

And Samsung did fix that in the 2.2.1 update.

So, whatever that fix is ... it is NOT in the 2.3 on Nexus S (specifically).

I agree with you, this is not 2.3 specific issue, but Nexus S (because of the GPU).

However, still, I blame Google for this Nexus S browser lag issue. They are responsible for the software in the Nexus S.

Just hope it will be updated like the SGS 2.2.1.

no i am not really. and yeah i did own a galaxy S. and now my bro who live with me has DHD. i was being serious. its not a 2.3 issue. because it lagged bad at 2.2 as well on galaxy S .. all it need is a driver. or some of the good guys here to fix it. like voodoo lag fix for example. but for the browser

you are not noticing . its not 2.3 with the issue. its the gpu it self. we are both agreeing that a driver can fix this. but a driver is for the hardware. not the 2.3 lol

J

JupiterDroid

Yes, it could be.

I agree with you, this is not 2.3 specific issue, but Nexus S (because of the GPU).

However, still, I blame Google for this Nexus S browser lag issue. They are responsible for the software in the Nexus S.

Im still feeling its a Gingerbread/Flash issue... Ogdobber posted a temp fix earlier on this board, see if it fixes for you guys, if it does, it will prove this hypothesis.

JD

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Yes, it could be.

100% agree.
This was repeated enough times:

This is NOT a gingerbread issue.
This problem was also present in the SGS and was fixed by Samsung in the latest 2.2.1 release.
This problem was also present in the Galaxy Tab and was fixed in the latest leaked firmware.
This problem is currently in the Nexus S and needs to be fixed.

I don't know how exactly Samsung fixed it, but it looks like they enabled some sort of GPU acceleration in the browser.

For now, just use autokiller (needs root), set it to aggressive and the browser won't lag too much anymore.

zoobix

Jul 18, 2010
I won't start another thread for this but is anyone losing cellular data ability when on a phone call?

I live in a good 3G area and thought this phone could do data/calls at the same time like my nexus one. The nexus s seems to drop data transferring completely.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had my Nexus S since it came out and I've been having terrible, consistent lag in the broswer. Even when I'm trying to view websites for mobile devices.

I understand that it can be laggy while the page is still loading but after its done it still lags. Choppy all over while scrolling. Pinch to zooming is also very choppy. My.Nexus One handled web browsing better with more framerates and less chop.

I've tried a factory reset and some other things

Anyone else having this issue?

Use Opera Mobile v11. Its the smootest browser on Android, lag free, super-fast, no checkerboards at all, perfect one.

(PS: Not Opera Mobile v10, and not Opera Mini ... It must be Opera Mobile v11)
    www.tsn.ca works perfectly fine here on my Nexus S running 2.3.4. :)