Gionee M2 - Root, Backup ROM, Install CWM

Search This thread

mundraguda

Apr 13, 2011
The Gionee M2 has a MT6582 Mediatek chipset.

Follow the Gionee guide on their site for upgrading to KitKat, before you start the process, replace the recovery.img file in the ROM file you downloaded and extracted and replace it with a CWM or Carliv touch recovery file that works for the JB versions, this will give you a custom recovery (power button + up key when booting)

The 800Mb+ KitKat ROM update file has about 300mb of pure bloatware, unknown games etc. :(

ROOT:
Enable USB debugging
Download SuperSU from the playstore (we will use it to replace the chinese SU file later)
Download RootMaster (google it), this is an apk file probably made by the same chinese dev's who made Vroot
Make sure wifi is on, run RootMaster, all text is chinese, but the press to root button is english, it works, if it doesnt the first time try again (dont press anything else, it has a ton of crapware)
It should prompt that your phone is rooted, give it some time, it actually downloads a chinese version of SU
Now run SuperSU, it will replace the chinese version with the familiar english SuperSU ( although the chinese SU app with the lion emblem and chinese text will still be on your phone)
I recommend doing a full factory reset at this stage and using a root uninstaller app to remove all traces of this chinese RootMaster SU

Xposed Framework:
The amigo system resources interferes with Xposed you can still get it to install the framework by first installing the Xposed apk and then going to the settings of the Xposed installer and checking the box "Disable resources API", this will mean GravityBox WILL fail.

-------------------------------------------------------
Framaroot Doesn't work anymore
The best way to root this is to use Framaroot, Barahir exploit.
Although the Framaroot page on XDA does not list this as a compatible device (yet) it works really well.
All credits for Framaroot go to alephzain : here

------------------

This still works
BACKUP ROM WITH MTKTOOLS:
Download the awesome MTK Droid Root & Tools by rua1 from here
There are many detailed tutorials for using the actual tool ( I used v2.5.3) with detailed pictures etc., I wont reproduce them here, but before you read and follow the tutorials, make sure, your phone is rooted, you have the ADB drivers for your MT6582 chipset and the microsd card you put inside your phone is formatted inside the phone otherwise the backup will throw an error

Create & Install CWM:
Dev rua1's MTKTOOLS can also create a CWM image automatically from the boot.img that is created in the above step. There are detailed tutorials already available on many sites that show step by step how to do this. Installing CWM is up to you, either via Mobile Uncle Tools from the playstore (recommended) and the freshly minted CWM image or via SP Flash Tools using the Backup of ROM created with MTKTOOLS

Last edited:

mundraguda

Apr 13, 2011
Getting to Recovery - Hardware Keys

Getting directly to CWM when the phone is shutdown requires the following key press combination:

For KitKat:
Power button + UP volume button gets you to a custom recovery (should you have one)
Power button + down volume button gets you into Factory Mode (Gionee Factory Mode)

For JB:
  • Press Volume Keys UP/DOWN and Power button simultaneously
  • Let go once you reach a screen that shows 3 options, here choose recovery, it will then boot directly to CWM

Last edited:
Reactions: yhwhchrist

mundraguda

Apr 13, 2011
Xposed Framework & Stock / Custom ROM's

Xposed Framework works fine on the rooted Gionee M2.

While several modules (like Xprivacy) work, GravityBox via Xposed download fc's, use the GravityBox Apk instead

As for M2 Stock ROM, I suggest take a backup of your own phone ROM, there is little chance that Gionee will make stock ROM's available for M2 (a very new device) anytime soon.

For other Gionee ROM's (stock) external sites like androidXDA have a few ROM's for download but none for M2

There are no custom ROM's for M2, if you want a smoother/cleaner experience try uninstalling some bloatware and change the DPI using an Xposed module.

Last edited:

rjspark89

Dec 9, 2012
Request

Hey, it would be nice if you could customize the backing up ROM and re flashing tutorials for the for the m2. It would be quite helpful, you know which set of options to choose etc... beginners like me could make a mistakes with regards to those, since you have already done these procedures your experience could prove valuable. also do you know if the bootloader is unlocked on this phone? and how to check that?

mundraguda

Apr 13, 2011
Hey, it would be nice if you could customize the backing up ROM and re flashing tutorials for the for the m2. It would be quite helpful, you know which set of options to choose etc... beginners like me could make a mistakes with regards to those, since you have already done these procedures your experience could prove valuable. also do you know if the bootloader is unlocked on this phone? and how to check that?

Being a long time lurker on XDA, I've not managed to rack up enough posts to link to external sites, I tend to find most answers by lurking :)

But here goes (credits go to the original tuts on other sites): Warning, you may brick your device. This will void your warranty. You should know the risks.

Pre-requisite Steps:

• Enable debugging mode on your phone. From your homescreen, tap the Menu button > Settings > Development. Tap 'Debug Mode' and make sure it's checked
  • Root your M2 using Framaroot, use Barahir exploit
  • Install Busybox from the Playstore on M2
  • Download MTK Droid Tools v2.5.3 from XDA, chrome tags this as malware (its not), if your AV detects this as malware then dont worry, its a false positive , disable your Anti Virus tool for good measure for the remainder of your backup job, unzip the MTK tools you downloaded
  • Make sure the microsd card you put inside your phone is formatted inside the phone otherwise the backup will throw an error - this step is impt.
  • Connect M2 via USB cable to your PC,Download the ADB drivers for M2, use PDANet (google it) and run it, ADB drivers should get automatically installed; this step is critical, so make sure it works

• Go into the extracted MTK Droid Tools folder and right-click on 'MTKdroidTools.exe'. Select 'Run as administrator'.
  • Wait while MTK Droid Tools communicates with your phone. You'll eventually see the main screen come up with all of your phone's information. Look in the bottom left hand corner of the main window, you should see a green square (if it's yellow, click the 'root' button in MTK Droid Tools, this may trigger SuperSU on your phone to ask you for granting it root, grant it)
  • In the main menu of MTK Droid Tools select the 'Root, Backup, Recovery' tab
  • Click the 'Backup' button. MTK Droid Tools will start to read all the data from your phone - this takes a long long time, the log is shown on screen, (if it hangs for very very long time (>45mins) on some step (like backup of system.img) you can pull the USB cable out of the phone and restart it)
  • After it's finished reading back the ROM, another window will pop up asking you if you'd like to compress the image. Select 'Yes'. This will pack it up into a zip and then let you know it's finished.

CREATE YOUR CWM & INSTALL:
  • Go to the playstore and download Mobileuncle MTK Tools
  • Connect the phone to PC via USB (if not connected already) and run the MTKDroidTool as administrator
  • Go to 'root, backup, recovery' tab
  • Tick the 'To choose the boot.img file' option - the boot.img got created when you took the backup of your ROM, all files from the ROM backup process are saved inside the MTK Tools folder
  • Click the 'Recovery and Boot' button
  • Look for the 'boot.img' file and then open it
  • You will be asked whether to create the CWM recovery automatically, select 'yes'
  • MTKDroidTools will prompt you whether to install patched files to the phone, say 'No, then it will prompt you if you want to install the CWM recovery that was created, say "No" - we will use MobileUncle Tools for this, its much cleaner
  • The process fill be finished, and you can now quit MTKDroidTools
  • In MTKDroidTools folder, you will see a new folder named 'recovery', and in the folder, you will see two .img files; one with the prefix 'boot' in it, and another one with the prefix 'recovery' in it, copy just the .img file with the prefix 'recovery' to the root of your microSD card
  • Start MobileUncle Tools in your phone, give it root, its a chinese app, but has english title names as well, select the 'Recovery Update' option, select the recovery .img file you have copied to the root of your microSD card, it will prompt you if you really want this, say 'OK'
  • The flashing process will run, and then you will be asked whether to boot into recovery mode, say yes and you will boot to CWM, you can now take a nandroid backup as well

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a lurker on XDA, not a dev, so I may not be able to help beyond this

Reactions: Jyoti_re

Shivam Bhalla

Jan 12, 2013
I have problem in CWM whenever I tried to mount Usb storage it gives error as :

"E:unable to open ums lunfile(no such file or directory)"

I have tried to port Cannibal Open touch recovery as well as Carliv but I think in our phone mout points are conflicting with default CWM mount points. If anyone have any solution most welcome for solution I am ready with Custom Roms for our Phone Gionee M2 but strucked in CWM ,if CWM will not work than we will be not able to flash any ROM.

Re:EDIT

ALL PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

Last edited:

manishswami

Error with borohir with frama 1.9.2 su

Sent from my M2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1400075256238.jpg
    1400075256238.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 176

Patel009

Apr 26, 2014
Try with Framaroot 1.9.0 "barahir".. I rooted my phone with this version and also rooted 3 more with same.:)

Sent from my Gionee M2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Gionee M2 has a MT6582 Mediatek chipset.

Follow the Gionee guide on their site for upgrading to KitKat, before you start the process, replace the recovery.img file in the ROM file you downloaded and extracted and replace it with a CWM or Carliv touch recovery file that works for the JB versions, this will give you a custom recovery (power button + up key when booting)

The 800Mb+ KitKat ROM update file has about 300mb of pure bloatware, unknown games etc. :(

ROOT:
    Enable USB debugging
    Download SuperSU from the playstore (we will use it to replace the chinese SU file later)
    Download RootMaster (google it), this is an apk file probably made by the same chinese dev's who made Vroot
    Make sure wifi is on, run RootMaster, all text is chinese, but the press to root button is english, it works, if it doesnt the first time try again (dont press anything else, it has a ton of crapware)
    It should prompt that your phone is rooted, give it some time, it actually downloads a chinese version of SU
    Now run SuperSU, it will replace the chinese version with the familiar english SuperSU ( although the chinese SU app with the lion emblem and chinese text will still be on your phone)
    I recommend doing a full factory reset at this stage and using a root uninstaller app to remove all traces of this chinese RootMaster SU

Xposed Framework:
    The amigo system resources interferes with Xposed you can still get it to install the framework by first installing the Xposed apk and then going to the settings of the Xposed installer and checking the box "Disable resources API", this will mean GravityBox WILL fail.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Framaroot Doesn't work anymore
    The best way to root this is to use Framaroot, Barahir exploit.
    Although the Framaroot page on XDA does not list this as a compatible device (yet) it works really well.
    All credits for Framaroot go to alephzain : here

------------------

This still works
    Download the awesome MTK Droid Root & Tools by rua1 from here
    There are many detailed tutorials for using the actual tool ( I used v2.5.3) with detailed pictures etc., I wont reproduce them here, but before you read and follow the tutorials, make sure, your phone is rooted, you have the ADB drivers for your MT6582 chipset and the microsd card you put inside your phone is formatted inside the phone otherwise the backup will throw an error

Create & Install CWM:
    Dev rua1's MTKTOOLS can also create a CWM image automatically from the boot.img that is created in the above step. There are detailed tutorials already available on many sites that show step by step how to do this. Installing CWM is up to you, either via Mobile Uncle Tools from the playstore (recommended) and the freshly minted CWM image or via SP Flash Tools using the Backup of ROM created with MTKTOOLS
    New Touch Based Carliv Recovery
    Click HERE
    Many guys brick their gionee m2
    Okh so guys here the solution ..for ur prob ...

Upload credit goes to uploader who uploaded it
    1 .stock ROM
    https://mega.co.nz/#!oFY2BRZb!AzH16G5H2RFTqVHRpnv-53ffTXRBK2D0vQOyUk9U_Es

2.sp flash tool
    https://mega.co.nz/#!hcoTgaBI!NSPaGUAz3lPqHddZMXjStZNfzzMyxWdpmHbjZEiwLEM

3. Scatter file.
    https://app.box.com/s/fiqf6r251roqypwaplti

Hit thanks if it help u

If u wanna join gionee m2 Whatsapp group for instant help guys u can msg
    9650122041 on Whatsapp for joining..
    Stable roms are "Fly UI", "Canvas", "Xperia UI" and "axer". Till yet I've not faced any problem in this roms so you can flash any from above roms. Right now I'm using canvas rom and it works fantastic with xposed and it's modules. Before this, was using fly ui and it's also awesome and very smooth.