GL Maps - View your world in 3D - GSensor Enabled - Open Source!

Search This thread

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
GLMaps.png

Well, Klaxon is pretty much complete except for a few bug fixes.

So, I'd been toying around with a new idea, a 3D Map viewer that is accelerometer enabled. That means you can turn your device and see other parts of the map. You need to try it to understand, it's very cool.
I got that done and started adding a couple things just to test it out. The Red "bubble" in the screenshot is where I live, and the buses are the real time locations of buses in Seattle. :)
I'll eventually be adding driving directions and search to this too.

Head over to my website for the CAB download.
I'll make a video shortly of this application, but you gotta try it out yourself for fun. :)

Upcoming VERY SOON
  • More Map types (traffic, satellite, terrain)
  • Directions Plugin
  • Search Plugin
Early Beta 10/12/2008
  • Fixed random crash bug.
  • Created GL Maps Plugin SDK
  • Created open source "standard" plugins

Source Code:
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/12/gl-maps-goes-open-source.html

Last edited:

itsallsubliminal

Nov 20, 2007
WOAH DUDE! JUST WOAH! This was an awesome idea... i'm gunna try it out now... keep it up!!!!!

EDIT: Just tried it and it is looking GREAT! The panning is super smooth... it closed after a couple minutes of playin and zooming, but this is just a concept i understand.

can't wait for the real deal with all streets and options!!!!

Last edited:

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
WOAH DUDE! JUST WOAH! This was an awesome idea... i'm gunna try it out now... keep it up!!!!!

EDIT: Just tried it and it is looking GREAT! The panning is super smooth... it closed after a couple minutes of playin and zooming, but this is just a concept i understand.

can't wait for the real deal with all streets and options!!!!

I just found that bug :)
I'm pretty excited about this application, so stay tuned for a lot of updates this weekend!
I'll probably be releasing an API to this as well, so developers can make add their own map overlays. For example, someone could implement search, or GPS, weather, or bus schedules etc through this API.

itsallsubliminal

Nov 20, 2007
I just found that bug :)
I'm pretty excited about this application, so stay tuned for a lot of updates this weekend!
I'll probably be releasing an API to this as well, so developers can make add their own map overlays. For example, someone could implement search, or GPS, weather, or bus schedules etc through this API.

That is wicked man! I just wish i knew how to develop... really, i'm in the quicksand when it comes to it :(

but keep this up, this will definitely be my #1 and ONLY map prog!!!

Thanks a bunch

itsallsubliminal

Nov 20, 2007
oo, an idea i just had:

The black area on top of the map, if you could make it look more blue, or even have like clouds...??? maybe? :D

uniqueboy

Apr 11, 2006
Is it feasible to consider integrating google street view? I saw a nice video of something like that running on android. :)

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Is it feasible to consider integrating google street view? I saw a nice video of something like that running on android. :)

Yes, I'm working on a Plugin architecture right now so people can overlay whatever images they want on the map. But, yes, this is one of the first ones I'm going to try to implement.

Last edited:

NLS

May 27, 2005
Piraeus
www.ilogic.gr
...so does this get the tiles from some source or still it is a "concept" where you have some preloaded tiles?

Edit: I see it DOES load from a source (is thie google or microsoft?)

I see it is just a concept yet at is preset to load that bus thing. I trust you plan to make those options on/off (and add others)?

Also why QVGA?

(btw, please man don't forget Klaxon yet... it has some way to go, not just bug fixing)

Last edited:

SkizZO

Nov 23, 2005
.:NeaPoliS:.
This is a really cool app.... i hope you will make a GController-like app (send keystrokes to active windows, games included, through g-sen)

However, have you ever seen the Microsoft live maps?? they have also a 3D view, i think VERY GOOD to give a gear to your new app

You can also switch to ibrid mode, and channge all the 4 angles of view; btw choose the map to use would be the right solution

...remember to add a quick way to activate/deactivate the g-gestures ;)

Last edited:

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Yes, currently it is pulling from Google maps. But I can make it pull from any tile server source, such as Live Maps, Yahoo, Mapquest, etc.

so where are those updates??? were still tuned:D:D:D

I'm very close to releasing the API! Don't worry!

The first release of the open source plugins I'll be releasing (so other developers can learn how to make them too) are:
  1. GPS
  2. Geolocation (from WiFi and Celltower)
  3. G-Sensor control
  4. Nav Sensor zoom

I'm hoping that other developers help drive this project, and not just me. :)

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
I've been spending the past few days fleshing out the GL Maps API: my goal is to allow any developer to view, modify, or add content into the map. That's the approach Microsoft and Google have taken with their JavaScript/web clients, but neither of those run particularly well on a phone. And they're not 3D and accelerometer savvy either! So, I'm hoping that other bored engineers at XDA-Developers decide to write their own plug-ins and help make this a great application. :)

So, to foster that, I'm open sourcing the "standard" plug-ins I've written so far:

Head over to my website for the download for both GL Maps and the SDK (including source code to the standard plugins).

Last edited: