Global Rom or Global Version, What would you do?

Search This thread

redrooster62

Nov 6, 2022
I want a New phone and I would be using it in Canada. I have been looking mostly on Aliexpress
because I can save quite a bit of money. I am looking for a Motorola because suppose to be clean android and
little or no Bloatware at least the version from Canada. I know nothing about downloading Roms and don't know the meaning of what Rooting is
so I have to keep things simple. My dilemma is do I get a Global Version because I will get OTA updates with no hassle or a Chinese Version that the seller has flashed a Global Rom on? The Chinese with the global rom may or may not get OTA updates but is cheaper than a True Global Version from Aliexpress.
The seller says I can update the phone myself? I don't mind updating if the phone notifies me of an update and I just have to Tap to install
but I don't know if it is that easy? What should I do?
Also Motorola doesn't have any Global Version I can find like Xiaomi has but even they do not have all models in Global Versions.

Reactions: galaxys

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
I would never buy a phone off AliExpress because this seller is known to sell fake produccts.
Generally, AliExpress is a great place to source your merchandise only if you know how to find genuine products on the site.

ze7zez

Recognized Contributor
(...) I have been looking mostly on Aliexpress
because I can save quite a bit of money. (...)
By looking for cheap buys and not knowing anything about the device, you really won't save anything.
In my opinion, it will be better for you if you buy on the local secondary market a phone from a year or two ago, which was categorized as mid-range on the day of its release.

redrooster62

Nov 6, 2022
Yes I know about that. A genuine seller has the money back guarantee protection through aliexpress. The sub par ones do not. I bought a Redmi Note 8 Pro 3 years ago with no problems.

redrooster62

Nov 6, 2022
So now we have got past about shopping on Aliexpress
Is anyone going to comment if the Chinese with a global rom be ok given my skill level or forget it and only buy a true "Global Version"?
My only problem about the CN/Global Rom is getting system and security updates.

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
Updates get rolled by OEM if they deem it necessary. Has nothing to do what ROM initially is flashed. Providing updates causes enormous costs, which OEMs naturally try to avoid because it reduces the profit margin.

Only with Google devices ( AOSP based ) you can be sure to always get latest updates.

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
1. My understanding: Global ROM, as also Chinese ROM, is software, whereas Global Version is hardware. But I may err as always.

2. OTA stands for Over the Air ( FOTA – Firmware Over the Air ). It refers to the wireless delivery of new or updated software or firmware to devices such as smartphones and tablets.
The OTA process is self-explanatory in that it delivers updated software wirelessly or ‘over the air’. These updates are distributed over Wi-Fi or mobile broadband using a function built into the smartphone or tablet’s operating system or through a special OTA app that’s given root access. The update goes out to all the designated smartphones or tablets from one central control panel.

Last edited:

redrooster62

Nov 6, 2022
I am following you sort of. I know that updates are sent OTA.
What I need to know is how will I get these software and firmware update if the seller is saying "OTA updates" not supported after they install the Global Rom?
My experience so far with pervious cell phones is this process happens automatically with maybe the hardest thing to do is accept it by a Tap.
If this process is complicated because it is not supported I can't continue about thinking to buy as I am not a Tech Savvy cell phone guy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I want a New phone and I would be using it in Canada. I have been looking mostly on Aliexpress
    because I can save quite a bit of money. I am looking for a Motorola because suppose to be clean android and
    little or no Bloatware at least the version from Canada. I know nothing about downloading Roms and don't know the meaning of what Rooting is
    so I have to keep things simple. My dilemma is do I get a Global Version because I will get OTA updates with no hassle or a Chinese Version that the seller has flashed a Global Rom on? The Chinese with the global rom may or may not get OTA updates but is cheaper than a True Global Version from Aliexpress.
    The seller says I can update the phone myself? I don't mind updating if the phone notifies me of an update and I just have to Tap to install
    but I don't know if it is that easy? What should I do?
    Also Motorola doesn't have any Global Version I can find like Xiaomi has but even they do not have all models in Global Versions.
    I would never buy a phone off AliExpress because this seller is known to sell fake produccts.
    Generally, AliExpress is a great place to source your merchandise only if you know how to find genuine products on the site.
    (...) I have been looking mostly on Aliexpress
    because I can save quite a bit of money. (...)
    By looking for cheap buys and not knowing anything about the device, you really won't save anything.
    In my opinion, it will be better for you if you buy on the local secondary market a phone from a year or two ago, which was categorized as mid-range on the day of its release.