Question Global Variant Updates

Search This thread

steviewunderr

Jan 16, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
I took it straight through the updater, never tried to do download and local install. To be honest I'm not even sure how to do local ota because I've never tried.

Took both 2.3.3. and 2.4.4 the moment they showed up in the updater app. When I updated to 2.4.4 I tried to do it without restoring the boot.img and it failed. Went into Magisk, uninstalled by restoring images, and OTA succeeded right away.
Tried your method to no success. I patched using the original boot.img for my device so it's not a regional boot.img issue. Oxygen Updater app does not even allow me to check for anything other than full updates, and whenever I try to take the OTA to 2.4.4 via the official settings app, it simply says download/installation failed :(

Winrahr

Feb 3, 2014
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Sony Xperia 1 II
Tried your method to no success. I patched using the original boot.img for my device so it's not a regional boot.img issue. Oxygen Updater app does not even allow me to check for anything other than full updates, and whenever I try to take the OTA to 2.4.4 via the official settings app, it simply says download/installation failed :(

I see one source of confusion. I've been calling my OTAs through the settings app "Oxygen Updater" because it had an OOS screen where you click "Check for Updates". I've updated my previous posts to state that I've been taking OTAs over the settings app.

How are you unrooting? Are you flashing back the original unmodified boot.img? Pretty sure just removing Magisk from a patched img will not work since the checksum will be different.

steviewunderr

Jan 16, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
I see one source of confusion. I've been calling my OTAs through the settings app "Oxygen Updater" because it had an OOS screen where you click "Check for Updates". I've updated my previous posts to state that I've been taking OTAs over the settings app.

How are you unrooting? Are you flashing back the original unmodified boot.img? Pretty sure just removing Magisk from a patched img will not work since the checksum will be different.
I'm honestly not entirely sure. I'm unrooting via uninstalling in Magisk and restoring images. I'm coming from a Pixel 2 so flashing full images was very easy compared to this. Should I be fastbooting into the original unmodified boot.img for my device before taking the OTA, or does restoring images in Magisk achieve the same thing?

Winrahr

Feb 3, 2014
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Sony Xperia 1 II
I'm honestly not entirely sure. I'm unrooting via uninstalling in Magisk and restoring images. I'm coming from a Pixel 2 so flashing full images was very easy compared to this. Should I be fastbooting into the original unmodified boot.img for my device before taking the OTA, or does restoring images in Magisk achieve the same thing?

I guess it depends on if your boot.img was pristine when you installed Magisk or not. If you booted a patched img to direct install to your unmodified boot.img, then the restore should work. If you flashed a patched img then you'll have to find the original from somewhere

steviewunderr

Jan 16, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
I guess it depends on if your boot.img was pristine when you installed Magisk or not. If you booted a patched img to direct install to your unmodified boot.img, then the restore should work. If you flashed a patched img then you'll have to find the original from somewhere
Ahh, I think I'm starting to understand a bit better. I rooted by having Magisk patch my stock boot.img and then flashed the patched .img via fastboot. I still have the original .img on my PC. How can I go about unrooting and re-rooting via the direct install method so I can easily take OTAs in the future?

edit: completely unrooted and rerooted using direct install (Magisk specifically says "stock boot image detected" this time) and then followed your method. Still no luck after restoring images and attempting to install OTA, even tried rebooting after restoring images and OTA failed.

Last edited:

terlynn4

• Aug 18, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    After unrooting, I had to download the incremental update from Oxygen Updater app and then go to settings app and choose Local Install. You can only see the incremental option in Oxygen Updater when you're unrooted (or just deny it superuser rights and the option should appear).

steviewunderr

Jan 16, 2014
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    After unrooting, I had to download the incremental update from Oxygen Updater app and then go to settings app and choose Local Install. You can only see the incremental option in Oxygen Updater when you're unrooted (or just deny it superuser rights and the option should appear).
    Oxygen Updater doesn't detect a newer OTA than 11.2.3.3AA, which is what I already have installed on my device.

subboxcb

Nov 13, 2016
    Ljubljana
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    Just received Oxygen OS 11.2.5.5 LE15BA for my OnePlus 9 Pro Screenshot_20210507-161850.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Steps to update:
      1. Recommended: un-hide magisk app (I didn't do this, and it caused some confusion when re-rooting)
      2. Unroot - You can either flash the stock/untouched boot.img for the version you're on, or just re-install the full update for the version you're on then reboot
      3. Take the OTA to 11.2.4.4, reboot (EDIT: I downloaded incremental update from Oxygen Updater and did a local install; not sure if it makes a difference.)
      4. Grab the 11.2.4.4 AA magisked boot.img from this thread, or download the stock one and patch it yourself
      5. Fastboot mode: fastboot boot boot-magisked.img (gain temporary root)
      6. Open magisk app and do a "direct install" then reboot (permanent root)

If you booted with temporary root then used Magisk to direct install, it takes less than 1min to unroot and reroot since Magisk backs up the boot.img it patches. I've been doing this method since 11.2.2.2:

1. fastboot boot magisk-patched.img (temp root)
      2. direct install in magisk app (permanent root)
      When an OTA is available:
      1. Uninstall in magisk manager with "Restore Images" (this restores the stock boot.img it backed up)
      2. Take OTA in Oxygen Updater in the settings app (DO NOT REBOOT)
      3. Go back to Magisk App and install with "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)"
      4. Reboot. You'll be updated AND rooted
      i know man it really is bs and super frustrating, i just don't get why the global full os updates are such an issue for op to drop
      For anyone on global. If you are currently rooted and on lower version, before updating download oxygen updater and turn on become a contributer option. Then after download completes which will be a full ver bc you are rooted. Go to ota folder and extract zip to your computer so everyone can use the full zip
      ok thanks for letting me know this worked for you, and I use oxygen updater as well so if this full os doesn't drop by the weekend I'll take the long way like you did
      I wouldn't hold your breath. 11.2.3.3 hasn't even dropped for global. OnePlus just isn't releasing full OTAs for global it seems. Hopefully someone figures something out soon because this is pretty bs.
      I got tired of waiting, so I unrooted to take the OTA and then re-rooted. I really hope we don't have to do this every time we want to update. Knowing my luck, a full OTA will probably be released now that I've updated the long way.

Steps to update:
      1. Recommended: un-hide magisk app (I didn't do this, and it caused some confusion when re-rooting)
      2. Unroot - You can either flash the stock/untouched boot.img for the version you're on, or just re-install the full update for the version you're on then reboot
      3. Take the OTA to 11.2.4.4, reboot (EDIT: I downloaded incremental update from Oxygen Updater and did a local install; not sure if it makes a difference.)
      4. Grab the 11.2.4.4 AA magisked boot.img from this thread, or download the stock one and patch it yourself
      5. Fastboot mode: fastboot boot boot-magisked.img (gain temporary root)
      6. Open magisk app and do a "direct install" then reboot (permanent root)
      Now if I could just get Netflix working again I'd be in good shape. (It wasn't working before the update either.)
      So is one plus just not going to release full versions of OxygenOS for AA model? Basically no way to update to 11.2.4.4 on Global model as far as I know...

What do you mean "release"? On their download page? They always take ages to put build on there (if they even do).
      If you want a full release then install Oxygen Updater and set it to your regional OP9P then set full update, you'll usually end up getting it downloaded quicker than OTA