• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Global Version AT&T After 3G Shutdown

Search This thread

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
I see the global version supports wifi calling and VOLTE and has as much band support as my Huawei P30 Pro so the coverage should be fine but will this phone actually work on AT&T after the 3g shutdown? I've read forums where people "call" *#somenumbers*#" and it lets them turn on VOLTE without the carrier checking compatibility. Any advice or input would be great. I really hate iPhones and Samsungs which seems to be all US carriers want to support.

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
I see the global version supports wifi calling and VOLTE and has as much band support as my Huawei P30 Pro so the coverage should be fine but will this phone actually work on AT&T after the 3g shutdown? I've read forums where people "call" *#somenumbers*#" and it lets them turn on VOLTE without the carrier checking compatibility. Any advice or input would be great. I really hate iPhones and Samsungs which seems to be all US carriers want to support.
I'm on Tmobile works perfectly on 4G LTE. 3G isn't an issue as that only applies to phones that rely on 3G data and Yes, VoLTE works!

Reactions: pseriesjim

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
That's good to know because ATT is basically trying to force me to buy one of maybe 3 phones. I wish I could keep my P30 Pro but I cant seem to get the update that enables VOLTE so I need a new phone and this seems much nicer then the new Samsung.

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
That's good to know because ATT is basically trying to force me to buy one of maybe 3 phones. I wish I could keep my P30 Pro but I cant seem to get the update that enables VOLTE so I need a new phone and this seems much nicer then the new Samsung.
Just have to know the phone dialer codes and your phone will run both VoLTE and VoWiFi. Just do a Google search for them.

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
Just have to know the phone dialer codes and your phone will run both VoLTE and VoWiFi. Just do a Google search for them.
I tried that already, I don't see any codes to unlock the options on my phone. I think the APN is part of the problem. I was told to use NXTGENPHONE. Further research shows that ATT doesn't allow any thing they don't approve to use VoLTE or VoWiFi regardless if the phone has the feature. Unless you know a sneaky way around this, I suspect the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra won't work either.

Last edited:

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
I bought the Chinese version and have tried all roms, but settled on the rom from Xiaomi.eu as there are far more features and less bloat. BTW, the Chinese variant now sells for around $900 from Giztop for the base model. I bought my 12/256 for $1045 when it was first released. I heard the Global variant was selling as high as $1300. Considerable savings going with the China variant, waiting a week, unlocking the bootloader and flashing another rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: pseriesjim

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
I bought the Chinese version and have tried all roms, but settled on the rom from Xiaomi.eu as there are far more features and less bloat. BTW, the Chinese variant now sells for around $900 from Giztop for the base model. I bought my 12/256 for $1045 when it was first released. I heard the Global variant was selling as high as $1300. Considerable savings going with the China variant, waiting a week, unlocking the bootloader and flashing another rom.
I've been reading that having the Chinese version causes issues with AT&T specifically and no one can seem to confirm that having either rom will work with ATT after the 3g shutdown. My current phone, the Huawei p30 Pro is the global version that had the most ATT frequencies of the p30 series but apparently the only version that doesn't have VOLTE. I just don't want to spend $1,000 on a new phone that has no guarantee of working after the shutdown or even on the 5g network. According to the frequency lists online, the Chinese version doesn't support ATT 5g. Is there any difference in hardware between the global and Chinese variant or is the only difference the ROM installed on it? Meaning does the rom determine the frequencies supported?

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
I've been reading that having the Chinese version causes issues with AT&T specifically and no one can seem to confirm that having either rom will work with ATT after the 3g shutdown. My current phone, the Huawei p30 Pro is the global version that had the most ATT frequencies of the p30 series but apparently the only version that doesn't have VOLTE. I just don't want to spend $1,000 on a new phone that has no guarantee of working after the shutdown or even on the 5g network. According to the frequency lists online, the Chinese version doesn't support ATT 5g. Is there any difference in hardware between the global and Chinese variant or is the only difference the ROM installed on it? Meaning does the rom determine the frequencies supported?
The hardware on the Chinese version and the Global are exactly the same. If you wish to spend more money, go right ahead. But I would buy the Chinese variant, wait a week, unlock the bootloader and flash to global rom.

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
Screenshot_2021-08-01-10-57-36-616_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
The hardware on the Chinese version and the Global are exactly the same. If you wish to spend more money, go right ahead. But I would buy the Chinese variant, wait a week, unlock the bootloader and flash to global rom.
Saving money is what I'm all about. Do you know of a guide to flashing the rom? I've never used twrp or any of that sort of software. Any guides on this phone specifically would be great.

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
So I found a YouTube video that seems pretty straight forward:

After you flashed the new rom does your phone auto update? Can you go to settings and get updates through the GUI or do you manually have to connect it to the PC and flash it each time ?

pseriesjim

Jan 14, 2020
I decided not to buy the phone after speaking with a few people from AT&T. They informed me that the way AT&T will be deploying the mandatory VOLTE would render the phone useless based on their encryption. Because the phone is not white listed they will not send the required encryption to the phone so VOLTE would not activate after the 3G shutdown and if it somehow was activated before, they would deactivate it on the shutdown date. It is really proving that living here in the US is not a great as it once was. We are now being forced to pick 1 of 3 phone companies. Apple, Samsung or the google Pixel. I assume since they paid the most in back end deals. All of which I hate. Looks like
I'll be hacking/rooting a Samsung. If anyone knows of a theme to make a Samsung look like a Huawei, please post it here. Very disappointed to lose my IR blaster and all the better various hardware that these overseas phones have to offer. Uncle Sam said no.

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
I decided not to buy the phone after speaking with a few people from AT&T. They informed me that the way AT&T will be deploying the mandatory VOLTE would render the phone useless based on their encryption. Because the phone is not white listed they will not send the required encryption to the phone so VOLTE would not activate after the 3G shutdown and if it somehow was activated before, they would deactivate it on the shutdown date. It is really proving that living here in the US is not a great as it once was. We are now being forced to pick 1 of 3 phone companies. Apple, Samsung or the google Pixel. I assume since they paid the most in back end deals. All of which I hate. Looks like
I'll be hacking/rooting a Samsung. If anyone knows of a theme to make a Samsung look like a Huawei, please post it here. Very disappointed to lose my IR blaster and all the better various hardware that these overseas phones have to offer. Uncle Sam said no.
FIrst of all, I would switch networks. No question on that one, as they are trying to force you to buy the phones that they sell. Also, if you are using a Snapdragon variant of a Samsung used in the United States, you will not be able to unlock the bootloader and/or root it. That is only possible on the exynos variants, which are probably not whitelisted on AT&T.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm on Tmobile works perfectly on 4G LTE. 3G isn't an issue as that only applies to phones that rely on 3G data and Yes, VoLTE works!
    Chinese verion is working exellent with Tmobile USA (I have 5G most of the time here and download speed is great)