Question GLUOG and G8VOU

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Do you know if there are physical differences between the two or if it's just a firmware difference?
1638220256473.png

Reactions: Alekos

adi2999

Apr 19, 2022
Any ideea if there is a software difference between GLUOG and G8VOU ?

Looking to get G8VOU to use with Bell Canada.
I travel across borser a lot.

I currently have a Note 20 Ultra 5G "U1" version, from US and Bell Canada won't recognize the TAC and cannot get 5G in Canada or register with ATT or Verizon since no IMS registration allowed by Bell Canada because of the XAA CSC. So basically can't use it with Canadian Carriers. No options to flash it with a "W" firmware either. Thank you Samsung.

Looking to leave Samsung and get a Pixel 6 pro but wanted the G8VOU for 260 261 band.

Any thoughts, will the G8VOU will work with Canadian carriers ?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro

I currently have a Note 20 Ultra 5G "U1" version, from US and Bell Canada won't recognize the TAC and cannot get 5G in Canada or register with ATT or Verizon since no IMS registration allowed by Bell Canada because of the XAA CSC. So basically can't use it with Canadian Carriers. No options to flash it with a "W" firmware either. Thank you Samsung.

Looking to leave Samsung and get a Pixel 6 pro but wanted the G8VOU for 260 261 band.

There are no software differences, both variants run the same firmware.
You're gonna be between a rock and a hard place though.

The rock is that you can use the G8V0U on Bell however you might only get 3G.
I checked the IMEI for a Pixel 6 and it said it would be Sub-6 compatible. I checked the IMEI for a Pixel XL and it said it would be LTE compatible. However, when checking with an IMEI for a G8V0U it only said HSPA compatible, nothing about LTE or Sub-6.
No guarantees about LTE support, which by extension means no guarantees about IMS, even if Bell doesn't have whitelists.

The hard place is that if you were to instead get a GLU0G for Sub-6 and IMS support in Canada you'd be on the reverse end of the stick in the US as both AT&T and Verizon operate whitelists.
AT&T only allows the G8V0U for IMS, and because AT&T is an IMS only network now there is no way to use the GLU0G.
Verizon is still running their CDMA network but it doesn't matter because their entire network is whitelisted and they don't allow the GLU0G.

Your best bet if you want a Pixel is to get a Pixel 6 GB7N6 which can be bought unlocked from the Google Store and will work on all networks in the US and Canada although it only has Sub-6 and not mmWave.

adi2999

Apr 19, 2022

I checked the IMEI for a Pixel 6 and it said it would be Sub-6 compatible. I checked the IMEI for a Pixel XL and it said it would be LTE compatible. However, when checking with an IMEI for a G8V0U it only said HSPA compatible, nothing about LTE or Sub-6.
No guarantees about LTE support, which by extension means no guarantees about IMS, even if Bell doesn't have whitelists.

The hard place is that if you were to instead get a GLU0G for Sub-6 and IMS support in Canada you'd be on the reverse end of the stick in the US as both AT&T and Verizon operate whitelists.
AT&T only allows the G8V0U for IMS, and because AT&T is an IMS only network now there is no way to use the GLU0G.
Verizon is still running their CDMA network but it doesn't matter because their entire network is whitelisted and they don't allow the GLU0G.

Your best bet if you want a Pixel is to get a Pixel 6 GB7N6 which can be bought unlocked from the Google Store and will work on all networks in the US and Canada although it only has Sub-6 and not mmWave.
Is this the case for roaming services? I mean with a Bell Sim inside, roaming on a US network ?

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Is this the case for roaming services? I mean with a Bell Sim inside, roaming on a US network ?
For which hardware?
GLU0G roaming in the US should be supported according to Bell with LTE/VoLTE/Sub-6.
G8V0U roaming in the US will not work because you need IMS, and Bell doesn't provide that with the G8V0U.

adi2999

Apr 19, 2022
For which hardware?
GLU0G roaming in the US should be supported according to Bell with LTE/VoLTE/Sub-6.
G8V0U roaming in the US will not work because you need IMS, and Bell doesn't provide that with the G8V0U.
Ok, that is what I was afraid of. I appreciate your reply. I guess no matter if it's Samsung or Google, it has to be a Canadian version in order to avoid all the hassle I am putting up with now.

I am in US now, using Note 20 5G U1, and can only register on Tmobile for voice and get only 3G. ATT will let me register but only getting LTE data and text but cannot place or recieve calls.
Verizon, lets me register for a few seconds then kicks me out.
I was looking for an answer about what device to buy and I was hoping Google's story was going to be different but from what you've described, I see no difference between them.

Bell support was "0" since not a device that they sold.

So I guess I'll have to chose between S22 W and GLU0G.

Wondering if the same goes for Iphone devices ?

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
iPhones have different variants for countries that haven't certified mmWave or have other frequency restrictions but Apple mandates that carriers support all variants that have basic support for their frequencies.

USA variant iPhones have mmWave that can't be used in Canada. 100% band support on Bell and might miss a single band on others but still work completely fine in Canada.

Canada/Japan variant iPhones don't have mmWave, will 100% work in Canada, have all bands for AT&T and Verizon, except the 11/12 miss a single band on T-Mobile but will still have service.

Both variants will roam in any combination, but a USA variant won't gain mmWave when roaming in the US as Bell doesn't have mmWave roaming contracts with carriers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know what differences there are on paper, but my question is if the hardware is different, or if there is just some locks.
    mmWave requires a dedicated antenna, in place of that there is just a useless piece of plastic in the Sub-6 only versions (just watch a couple teardown videos, they'll notice/explain that).

Example

->
    iPhones have different variants for countries that haven't certified mmWave or have other frequency restrictions but Apple mandates that carriers support all variants that have basic support for their frequencies.

USA variant iPhones have mmWave that can't be used in Canada. 100% band support on Bell and might miss a single band on others but still work completely fine in Canada.

Canada/Japan variant iPhones don't have mmWave, will 100% work in Canada, have all bands for AT&T and Verizon, except the 11/12 miss a single band on T-Mobile but will still have service.

Both variants will roam in any combination, but a USA variant won't gain mmWave when roaming in the US as Bell doesn't have mmWave roaming contracts with carriers.
    For which hardware?

Do you know if there are physical differences between the two or if it's just a firmware difference?