Gmail - cannot set custom sound?

Search This thread

white43

Jan 26, 2008
Dorset, UK
I've noted in the Mate 10, but it's likely to be an Oreo thing, I can't seem to set a custom tone for new mail notification. In the Mate 9, it was under settings, my email address and inbox, sound and vibrate. That option is in Gmail under Oreo on the Mate 10 but the option to set a custom tone is missing...am I missing something?

Reactions: FearFac and jalms

white43

Jan 26, 2008
Dorset, UK
OK so I guess no-one uses Gmail?

Its changed in Oreo. Now there's a section in settings, after you click your email address called "Manage notifications". Tap on this. Then, under the section saying "Email Normal Allow these notifications to make sounds", which should be 'on', tap on this. You can set the sound in the next section.

Jeez. Not one guide on interwebs saying how to do this!

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I use Gmail and cannot separate the tones from texting and gmail. I do not have the section saying "Email Normal Allow these notifications to make sounds". Anyone have a solution?

Reactions: FearFac

Cephalus

Oct 17, 2008
Sydney
Dump the G-mail app (disable & clear data under "Apps") and install K-9 Mail. Everything's configurable (and I do mean everything!), works brilliantly, is lighter in weight than the G-mail app, and is completely free.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Here is how it is done...in the Oreo world...
Open Gmail > top left hamburger > settings > General settings > Manage notifications > Long press on the word "Mail" not the toggle itself but right on the word, and another secret, hidden, stupid, settings menu will open and it's in here where you can choose a separate tone for email as well as turn on the notification light for Gmail.

Reactions: jalms

seboba

Sep 11, 2017
Couldnt find any solution to change the notification sound for twitter. Any help is welcome. I followed the same steps as mentioned above.

herpi

Oct 8, 2005
Bucharest
Open Gmail > top left hamburger > settings > General settings > Manage notifications > Long press on the word "Mail" not the toggle itself but right on the word, and another secret, hidden, stupid, settings menu will open and it's in here where you can choose a separate tone for email as well as turn on the notification light for Gmail.
Sorry, don't get it. Can you make a screen dump of the location where to long press.
I need the option to select sound while editing the labels

Huib

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Sorry, don't get it. Can you make a screen dump of the location where to long press.

Huib

It is exactly as I stated in my original directions...it could not be any clearer.
Once you tap on "Manage notifications" it will take you to the screen "App notifications" then you long press directly on the word MAIL which is directly under your email address.
You can also long press on the other "words" listed there for different notification settings. The words are to the left of the screen...the toggles are to the right.
Also, if you're looking to be able to set a different tone based on a label you created...I don't think that is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_083308.jpg
    IMG_20180411_083308.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,306
Last edited:
Reactions: FearFac

JoJo_

Jun 14, 2012
St. Maarten

Its changed in Oreo. Now there's a section in settings, after you click your email address called "Manage notifications". Tap on this. Then, under the section saying "Email Normal Allow these notifications to make sounds", which should be 'on', tap on this. You can set the sound in the next section.

Thank you so much! I've had my Huawei P10 for almost a year and couldn't find where to add custom notification to Gmail. It's so frustrating when they do stupid ish like this because pretty much every other explanation says go to manage notification but not detailed enough to say click on title. I had the Huawei P6 and was impressed with Huawei enough to make it my go to brand but this ish frustrated me enough to consider another brand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've noted in the Mate 10, but it's likely to be an Oreo thing, I can't seem to set a custom tone for new mail notification. In the Mate 9, it was under settings, my email address and inbox, sound and vibrate. That option is in Gmail under Oreo on the Mate 10 but the option to set a custom tone is missing...am I missing something?
    I use Gmail and cannot separate the tones from texting and gmail. I do not have the section saying "Email Normal Allow these notifications to make sounds". Anyone have a solution?

Huib

It is exactly as I stated in my original directions...it could not be any clearer.
    Once you tap on "Manage notifications" it will take you to the screen "App notifications" then you long press directly on the word MAIL which is directly under your email address.
    You can also long press on the other "words" listed there for different notification settings. The words are to the left of the screen...the toggles are to the right.
    Also, if you're looking to be able to set a different tone based on a label you created...I don't think that is possible.